Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Jan 19, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
soraia
Very Serious Dibber

Not sure if this will help appease anyone who is worried about not having their middle names on existing ESTA or not as it's slightly different but I've always had issues filling out my ESTA as my surname is too long. In fact this applies to ESTA, API, when booking airfare etc.

I'm originally from Portugal where they only have first name and surname (no "middle name" field) and therefore all middle and family names are put together in the "surname" field. I believe this is also the case in many latin american countries as well as Spain/France.

So on all my official documents my name reads as (fake example)
First Name: Soraia
Surname: Minnie Mouse Smith Jones Peterson

The name that I go by is Soraia Peterson (the other names are my middle names, even though they are written under "Surname") and although booking flights, ESTA, API etc always says book name shown exactly as on passport, my full name never fits as there are too many characters (including when filling out the ESTA).

So I always book everything as just Soraia Peterson and I've never had a problem travelling anywhere (luckily, as I always worry about it!) In fact - I've never even had anyone question it, ask about my name, nothing.

Again, this is just my example and don't want to speak for anyone else bu thought I'd share my example of travelling on an ESTA using a name that doesn't exactly match the passport.

Edited at 10:33 AM.
soraia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 19, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

So had a response about my ESTA query
I asked 2 questions and asked each one specifically. The first was about the 4 new ones I did on Sat with no middle names
The second was about my ESTA done in Feb 18 and whether I need to do a new one. I don’t think they have really answered my second question but their response is below:

Thank you for contacting the Traveler Communications Center. The name on the ESTA application must be entered exactly as it appears on the passport in the machine readable zone. This is the area that consists of two lines of characters at the bottom of the passport biographical page. If a payment has already been submitted, you will then need to complete a new and correct application with the accompanying fee.
If the only error was made in the “point of contact” section, then no further action is required.

Regards,
Traveler Communications Center

I’m just doing all new ones for everyone!

Edited at 09:11 PM.
Tweety1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 12:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post
I asked 2 questions and asked each one specifically. The first was about the 4 new ones I did on Sat with no middle names
The second was about my ESTA done in Feb 18 and whether I need to do a new one. I don’t think they have really answered my second question but their response is below:

Thank you for contacting the Traveler Communications Center. The name on the ESTA application must be entered exactly as it appears on the passport in the machine readable zone. This is the area that consists of two lines of characters at the bottom of the passport biographical page. If a payment has already been submitted, you will then need to complete a new and correct application with the accompanying fee.
If the only error was made in the “point of contact” section, then no further action is required.

Regards,

Thanks for posting their response, though as expected they haven't quite answered the question.
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 07:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lily8 View Post
Thanks for posting their response, though as expected they haven't quite answered the question.
I know
Old 11 Jan 19, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post

Regards,

That response to the second question is amazingly vague. Really frustrating

Anyone who has a valid ESTA pre October without middle names thinking of redoing them just in case? I did ours in May for this May and I'm unsure what to do. Doesnt seem to be any hard facts about an october deadline.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by gjdjud View Post
That response to the second question is amazingly vague. Really frustrating

Anyone who has a valid ESTA pre October without middle names thinking of redoing them just in case? I did ours in May for this May and I'm unsure what to do. Doesnt seem to be any hard facts about an october deadline.
I'm not renewing mine UNLESS I hear reports from anywhere of people having issues at immigration with theirs. THe thing is, if I wasn't on the Dibb how am I supposed to know this has changed? As far as I am concerned, my current ESTA has 12 months left to run.

Edited at 08:58 AM.
Burgmeister is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Burgmeister View Post
I'm not renewing mine UNLESS I hear reports from anywhere of people having issues at immigration with theirs. THe thing is, if I wasn't on the Dibb how am I supposed to know this has changed? As far as I am concerned, my current ESTA has 12 months left to run.
Totally agree. If I’d done my daughters pre October I would not have completed a other one. As I only did it last week I felt I should.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
LOU LOU DISNEY
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Exactly this!
I’m not doing mine either as when I did it last year it was valid for 2 years. I will re-do my sons as I only did his last week.

✨Disneyland Paris - 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17 x3, 18, 19x2, 22, 24.
✨Disneyworld Florida - 08, 14, 15, 17, 25.
✨Disneyland Tokyo & Disney Sea - 2016.
✨Disneyland California - 2018, 2023
✨Disney Magic 🚢 - 2021
⭐️NYC - 2016, 2017, 2019.
⭐️Las Vegas, Grand Canyon -2018
⭐️San Francisco, Las Vegas & Antelope Canyon -19 ⭐️Washington DC - 22⭐️LA/Anaheim-23 ⭐️Seattle -24
LOU LOU DISNEY is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

I entered the US in December on an ESTA which was done in Feb 2017. There were no problems (I do have Global Entry, but not sure it makes a difference).

I'm more interested in hearing whether anyone has done an ESTA since October without middle names and travelled to the US. I've seen a post on Tripadvisor which said they had no problem entering recently, but it wasn't clear exactly when the ESTA was done. Apart from this, I've seen no mention of this middle name issue on any other forum apart from the Dibb, which makes me wonder why.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
GrumpyDopey&Me
Imagineer

GrumpyDopey&Me's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

My mum called the embassy and was told they do need to be on there.
GrumpyDopey&Me is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List