Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 28 Jan 20, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
BONDY LAD
Imagineer

Can students claim jobseekers on completion of university?

Evening folks, ds(3) is due to finish university in June, just wondering is he entitled to jobseekers or any benefits as he will come “home” to live for ever how long, no more loans etc etc, he will be looking for some kind of work, however he wants and deserves a holiday prior to this, any info appreciated, bondy.
BONDY LAD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby29
Imagineer

I think he will be claiming universal credit now. 👍
Old 28 Jan 20, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
The A team
VIP Dibber

The A team's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Yes he should be able to claim from when he has finished his course. Likely to be Universal Credit as this has taken over most benefits. He may also need something to show he has completed e.g. letter from uni. There will be conditions though e.g. proof applied for a certain number of jobs per week etc and I believe they are generally much tighter on checking and requiring evidence.

Highlands Reserve May/June 2014

Trip report complete July/August 2016 - Beach Club and Sunset Lakes
Trip report complete - One week trip at two weeks notice - The Grove Resort May 2018
7 States Pre-trip (Washington DC, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, New York)
The A team is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

I believe he will be able to claim Universal Credit but not until August as his Student loan (if he has one of course) is meant to cover him until then. He will also be expected to be actively seeking work and log into job search each day and prove he is looking for work. Unfortunately for him, this may mean they won’t pay him while he goes on holiday as he is not actively seeking work. The UC payment will also take around 5 weeks to process from time of application.

It may be worth him visiting your local CAB office to ask for a benefit check and they will be able to be more specific depending on his personal circumstances
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
BONDY LAD
Imagineer

Mobile

That’s fine, many thanks, he will be able to get necessary paperwork required, he obviously needs to apply for some sort of work to qualify by information given, thanks again, bondy.
BONDY LAD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

He’ll be able to apply as soon as his course officially ends. My daughter finishes in Early June and will be able to apply then if she doesn’t have a job.

In England you get less of a student loan in your final year as it doesn’t cover the summer.
bluedave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
sueandco
Imagineer

sueandco's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
I assume it has changed then because when DS finished he couldn’t claim until August. Typically he claimed and then got a job so only got it for two or three weeks!
Old 28 Jan 20, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by sueandco View Post
I assume it has changed then because when DS finished he couldn’t claim until August. Typically he claimed and then got a job so only got it for two or three weeks!
I had thought the same, but it is possible that it’s changed. It will be based on when the student loan is meant to last until, so maybe the student loan department would be able to advise
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
fizzypop
Imagineer

My DD finishes in June too. She doesn’t have a student loan so do you think she will be able to claim as soon as she finishes?
fizzypop is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by fizzypop View Post
My DD finishes in June too. She doesn’t have a student loan so do you think she will be able to claim as soon as she finishes?
I would imagine so. As soon as the University’s official end of term date. It’s worth her applying at the earliest she can as it does take weeks to be paid
Closed Thread