Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Dec 19, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Update page 4 DHL and shipping from US - 3 questions

I’m really cross with myself. I saw Lady Gaga was releasing a palette on Haus Labs. My dd loves palettes and Lady Gaga do I thought excellent surprise.
I signed up for notification but then saw it to be pre ordered on Amazon possible release date 13th so I ordered it.
Then got an email from Haus labs released on 5th so I cancelled the amazon pre order and ordered from Haus labs but then heard nothing. I emailed asking if it would be shipped in time for Xmas etc but got an email back quite vague saying the usual shopping time etc but no update on when it would ship. So I emailed back asking if I could cancel as it was a gift I need for Xmas.
So this morning I get an email saying it’s “on it’s way”.
So:
1. It’s coming with DHL is that good or bad?(I’m worried with all these parcel stories).
2. Is it likely to get here by Xmas?
3. I’ve paid tax and shipping will I have to pay anything when it gets here? The site was quite vague on that. Just said some countries you pay when parcel arrives.

I’m really annoyed with myself that I didn’t just stick with the amazon order and hope it arrived by Xmas.

Edited at 08:25 AM.
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 19, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

It depends on the overall cost inclusive of shipping. The killer is the £12.00 handling fee that gets wacked on this end just to deliver it to you. If you have a quick google there are sites which tell you how much tax, vat you will pay. Some do get past without the fees though so just keep your fingers crossed.

I think it will be close but I do think you would get it for Christmas.
Old 10 Dec 19, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Jakey Neverland View Post
It depends on the overall cost inclusive of shipping. The killer is the £12.00 handling fee that gets wacked on this end just to deliver it to you. If you have a quick google there are sites which tell you how much tax, vat you will pay. Some do get past without the fees though so just keep your fingers crossed.

I think it will be close but I do think you would get it for Christmas.
Thank you. There was about 12 on for tax and shipping. Then I saw that there “might” be extra charges.
Thing is when you have to pay they don’t deliver it to you do they? My dd got a card saying she had to go post office as she had to pay.
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 19, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We brought a painting in Disney and had it shipped to the U.K. when it got here we had to pay vat on the painting and the shipping charge and a handle fee can not remember if import tax but it ended over £50 on a painting that cost $150
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 19, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

This is a small make up palette that cos £33 plus 12 tax and shipping
Old 10 Dec 19, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m also worried re DHL being reliable and it getting smashed in the post.
Old 10 Dec 19, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

You pay DHL online for the duties and VAT due on the parcel plus a £12 handling fee. DHL tracking is usually quite good and when I've ordered I've used the tracking number to track the parcel right through the process. My experience was that once the parcel has cleared customs in the UK, DHL will send an email with a link to pay the additional fees. Duties and VAT are calculated using the cost of the product and the postage that you've paid, plus the handling fee.

I've ordered from Amazon.com a few times now as you pay the UK duties at the point of sale so there's no unexpected fees.
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 19, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Ellelledee View Post
I’m also worried re DHL being reliable and it getting smashed in the post.
As they ship all the Formula 1 Teams and Support Structure around the world for the whole racing season, I’m sure they will be reliable and deliver your parcel safely.
They are a huge courier and logistics company, part of Deutsche Post Germany.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 19, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Ellelledee View Post
This is a small make up palette that cos £33 plus 12 tax and shipping
I suspect the "12" is just the local US tax plus shipping and probably doesn't include the customs fees (i.e. UK VAT).

So, the total cost was £45 (33+12)? You will probably then have a customs fee - which is made up of VAT at 20% of the total cost (£9) plus a handling fee (varies but can be £12). So, you may have to pay an additional £21 when it arrives in this country.

If you had purchased the item from Amazon.com then you could have paid for the customs fees (the VAT = £9) upfront at the time of ordering the item. It would have saved paying the handling fee plus it would've saved a little time because you wouldn't have had to go online to DHL's website to pay the customs fee.

Of course, you could be lucky and the item could escape customs scrutiny and arrive with nothing extra to pay. It does happen.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 19, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I suspect the "12" is just the local US tax plus shipping and probably doesn't include the customs fees (i.e. UK VAT).

So, the total cost was £45 (33+12)? You will probably then have a customs fee - which is made up of VAT at 20% of the total cost (£9) plus a handling fee (varies but can be £12). So, you may have to pay an additional £21 when it arrives in this country.

If you had purchased the item from Amazon.com then you could have paid for the customs fees (the VAT = £9) upfront at the time of ordering the item. It would have saved paying the handling fee plus it would've saved a little time because you wouldn't have had to go online to DHL's website to pay the customs fee.

Of course, you could be lucky and the item could escape customs scrutiny and arrive with nothing extra to pay. It does happen.
Thankyou. I’m cross at myself for not sticking with Amazon but it was pre-order in Amazon and would not be released until approximately 13th which I figured was too close to Christmas but I think that was coming from the UK so wouldn’t have been an issue. Also I think it was still 33 (or less it said) then the breakdown was 27.50, 3.74 p and p, 6.25 vat total 37.49. The one direct was 33 plus 12 which I figured ok since I was going to get it sooner.
My query re DHL was more because I’ve seen people complain a lot about deliver drivers and so I wanted to check people’s experience with DHL.