Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Dec 19, 01:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
My moms best mates daughter has an ironing business and has done for about 10yrs. She used to rent a shop but had a huge garage built at the bottom of her garden.

She is so busy but she does live on the outskirts of a posh area with lots of big expensive houses and a lot of them are regulars.
That's good to read it can be viable 😊 I am going to start doing it as I've been asked a lot about it and I am not open yet. It's so tricky to work out the pricing for it.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 03:00 AM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jedi Princess View Post
My husband does the ironing, he’s great.
Mine had to learn to do the ironing when I ended up being banned from ironing plus other ‘activities’ due to tennis elbow and he needed his collared shirts ironed for work. Now he often does the ironing and makes a fab job of it.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

I hate ironing but there is only me who does it - unless the others want something and it’s not ironed.
Ironing is my Sunday night job with plenty of catch up tv or a film to watch to get me through it.
When I had my bedroom fitted I specifically ordered a cupboard that would fit my ironing board and ironing basket. So the pile gets too big the ironing board lives behind the bedroom door and the cupboard just houses the ironing. The thing is the part of the pile that I’m not ironing is getting bigger and bigger 😂😂
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

One of my brother’s neighbours charges by the weight of a bag of items to be ironed.

She does a roaring trade, has a small van fitted with a hanging rail so she can deliver shirts etc on hangers.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

For my sins I had my own ironing service for quite a few years when my eldest was born, she's 21 now so going back a bit, for quite a few years I was very busy and did well but when the recession hit I suppose to quite a few of my regulars it was a luxury and had to slide. Back then I charged £2.50 a kilo in weight, I set a minimum weight to make it worthwhile, if just shirts they were charged individually if in mixed ironing that wasnt, shirts were £1 each. Hangers and wrap were included in the price as was delivery and collection fees.
The thought of doing this now though sends me into a cold sweat but when I was a single mom at home with my daughter it was a brilliant opportunity, I bought an already established business so that made it a bit easier for me too.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
JamesL
VIP Dibber

JamesL's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We have someone that does our ironing every week. It is collected on Wednesday and returned on Thursday. There is usually school uniform for 2 kids, workwear for me and DW and various tee shirts etc that we have worn during the week. The cost is usually £25 - £30 per week and personally i think it is worth every penny.
Old 11 Dec 19, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

My husband has got pretty good at it over the years 😂
Old 11 Dec 19, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

I have a lady that does mine, she charges 50p per item or £1 for duvet covers.

Minimum of £15 per time so 30 items for me.

She collects and delivers for that too.

I give her the clothes hanging and she returns them with plastic covers. I believe that others just throw it in a bag and provide the hangers though.

We don’t generate a lot of ironing so she comes every three weeks.

I think her prices are a lot lower than the multiple companies we have locally that offer this service.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Mobile

It's been about two years but I used to have my ironing done for me. It was 50p per item and £1 for a shirt. I would drop it off and pick it up but that could be arranged too, wrap and hangers were also provided if required. I took my own hangers.

I would prefer to pay per item as the cost is transparent.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Steve&Jan
Excited about Disney

I have a lovely shop near me, she charges 50p per item no minimum. I drop it off with hangers and she phones me when it’s ready to collect.
Steve&Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List