Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 29 Sep 16, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
justjo
Imagineer

Disability Discrimination...New Job!

Hi all.

Please bare with me this may be a bit long winded, but I am a bit fuming at what has happened today.

I started a new job on Monday in a Customer contact centre for a very well known online Bathroom/Plumming company. I was thrilled to bits with it and was looking forward to starting properly next week after training this week.

So Training started on Monday, all going well, lots to learn but i was picking it up and getting positive feedback from the trainer, no bad comments at all, no mention of me being a bit slow or taking my time to get to grips with the system.

Training should have been all week this week, but was only going to be half a day today and tomorrow (Friday) i was to join my team and crack on with a lot of support from my new team leader.
Training was cut short as the trainer is moving house tomorrow and has already booked the day off.

Anyway I have gone in this morning and one of the Managers was with the trainer and said he wanted a chat with me about the role. I was so not prepared for what was to come next. He said he doesnt think I am suited to the role and that my training hasnt been sufficient and as it is a fast paced environment they needed someone to hit the ground running and that the trainer does not think that i would be able to do this.
I asked how are they able to make this decision when my training ist even complete and have only had 3 days and havent even covered all the topics needed or even worked on the systems or even taken my 1st call yet?

Again he just repeated this is just the feedback he was given by the trainer and I am not suitable.

NOW this is where I think I am being treated unfairly.

Myself and the trainer were on a break together yesterday and I was asking about Desk assessments with me having some disabilities (which were already fully disclosed) and the possibility of maybe needing a footstool.

I was told they dont do any desk assessments and she could look into getting me a foot stool and if i wanted to i could always bring in my own. I thought nothing of it at first but did this it was a bit odd there was no desk assessment at all for any of the staff not just for some one with issues.
So we were on the topic of my disabilitues and i explained what they were and that I was on DLA and my car was Motability but as my last job was in a call centre, i know that this is something i can do really well without it affecting my aches and pains.

So that was that, nothing else said and then this morning i go in ready to start and I get told im not suitable?

Coincidence or not?

Disney All Star Movies 2005 Our Honeymoon
Mallorca in a Villa Jan 2006
Mallorca Hotel Barcelo Cala Vinas, Fantastic June 2008
Westhaven Villa Christmas 2009 Just Fantastic
Mallorca All Inclusive for 6, July 2010
10 of us went to Florida July/Aug 2010
Mallorca All Inclusive here August 2013
justjo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 16, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Oliver123
Imagineer

Oliver123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Under DSE regulations they need to provide suitable equipment for you.
I would wait and see what happens to see what they do as it may just be a coincidence.
Old 29 Sep 16, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

I sympathise fully. My wife needs special equipment (keyboard, mouse) and fully disclosed this at interview and during application. Straight after she started they told her to make do but she couldn't cope.

She ended up going sick and got huge hassle from her manager and HR. She persevered and once she went the Disability Discrimination Act route they backed down.

It was very unpleasant at the time but now it's sorted her manager says she wishes she could clone her.

Edited at 11:51 AM.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 16, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
justjo
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Oliver123 View Post
Under DSE regulations they need to provide suitable equipment for you.
I would wait and see what happens to see what they do as it may just be a coincidence.

Nothing is going to happen as they have finished me this morning after jut 3 days training.

justjo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 16, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by justjo View Post
Nothing is going to happen as they have finished me this morning after jut 3 days training.
I have no useful advice but couldn't read and run. It certainly smells funny to me!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 16, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Oliver123
Imagineer

Oliver123's Reviews
Originally Posted by justjo View Post
Oh gosh sorry I hadn't realised that!
Did they say why apart from they didn't think you were suitable?
It seems pretty harsh when you haven't even been on the phone!
Old 29 Sep 16, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
It is illegal to discriminate against someone with a disability, if they can do the job. gov.uk/employer-preventin...on/recruitment

Take a look and I would take it further if I was you. Look on the gov.uk website generally for employee advice.
Old 29 Sep 16, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
HiddenMickey35
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
have you contact CAB?

Helpline: 0300 123 1100 for DDA

Scottishwee35
DCL 6-9April 06,DCL on 18 July 07, Medi.,DCL on 15 Nights Panama Canal - Westbound< May 08, NEW YORK NOV 24-30TH WITH 5 LADIES :, DCL on 3 July '10 for 8 days Dover to Barcelona RCCI - FOS 10 April '11, Spendlour of the Seas, 19 July 2013,Disney Magic 14 Nights WB Tranny Sep 6, 2014, Jamaica June 12-23, 2018, RC Cruise, Halloween 2019, Mexico with groups, Sept 2022, DCL Nowhere on 27th July 2021 for 3 nights?, Anthem of the Seas, Norweigian Fjords Cruise, May 2022
HiddenMickey35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 16, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

I'm not sure here... I recently started a new job and even though it was mentioned at interview that there was a probationary period I didn't realise the full implications... two of our group were finished because it was deemed they weren't up to the job... (they were in the process of a major recruitment drive), I think in the case of disbilities then as a well known firm then they would have to be extra cautious not to be done for unfair dismissal... what I think I am trying to say is sadly whatever their reasons I think they will have been certain to cover their own backs and as unfair as it seems I doubt you will get any joy from taking action against them...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 16, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
justjo
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Oliver123 View Post
Oh gosh sorry I hadn't realised that!
Did they say why apart from they didn't think you were suitable?
It seems pretty harsh when you haven't even been on the phone!
No he said he was chatting with the trainer and she said my training so far wasnt up to scratch and i wasnt picking it up quick enough,

Which is total bull as ive only had 3 days training, and i hadnt even been on the phiones yet.

I have come from Contact centre at the Passport office, so I know i can pick things up quickly and be trusted with customer service.

Everything was going really well, no issues pointed out to me at all or little comments about picking things up a bit quicker.

Just seems strange everything was going fine until we were discussing my disabilities yesterday.

Closed Thread