Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 10 Aug 18, 07:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Ariel88
slightly serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 3
Scale back plans or rebook for next year?

I'm currently writing this from my hospital bed

To cut a long story short: I had emergency surgery last week and we have a holiday booked in October to the West Coast. The plan was to start in SF, drive to Yosemite, and then head to Vegas via Death Valley. Then spend a few nights at Grand Canyon village before finishing in LA. Now that I've had surgery obviously things need to change.

My dilemma is do we a) do a modified version of our current plans in October still? Or b) completely write off this year and rebook for next spring? It also doesn't help that this is my 30th trip and ideally I want to do something for it still

If we do modify plans we'd be looking at just doing SF for 4 nights, then flying to Vegas for 4 nights (where we'll just do a Grand Canyon tour bus from). We'll them hire a car and drive to LA for 4 nights. We have an extra 2 nights though so I'm not sure what to do here. Would Joshua tree be suitable? Preferably somewhere that doesn't involve a ton of walking as I'll only be 2 months postop. We may even take a wheelchair if needed so anywhere wheelchair friendly would be good
Ariel88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 18, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

This once happened to us. We were about to go to Texas and my wife had a volvus, essentially a twisted colon, nearly killed her (killed BeeGee the same thing). Laparotomy and she survived.
We cancelled Texas and a few months later went in a Caribbean all inclusive as we thought a road trip may be a bit much.
And she could walk a few miles by that point.
But it depends what you had done, and how you feel I suppose.
Old 10 Aug 18, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I suppose it depends on what you’ve had time and the recovery etc

Obviously people in wheelchairs do the trip , but I can imagine Vegas would be quite hard going specially if the strip were busy .

Personally I would postpone it till next year when you’re fully fit and able to do all you want .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 18, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Ariel88
slightly serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
This once happened to us. We were about to go to Texas and my wife had a volvus, essentially a twisted colon, nearly killed her (killed BeeGee the same thing). Laparotomy and she survived.
We cancelled Texas and a few months later went in a Caribbean all inclusive as we thought a road trip may be a bit much.
And she could walk a few miles by that point.
But it depends what you had done, and how you feel I suppose.
It’s a volvulus I’ve had! Of the small intestine though. I’m thinking we postpone and maybe book somewhere in Europe instead. We can always do this trip in the Spring properly.
Ariel88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 18, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Ariel88
slightly serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
I suppose it depends on what you’ve had time and the recovery etc

Obviously people in wheelchairs do the trip , but I can imagine Vegas would be quite hard going specially if the strip were busy .

Personally I would postpone it till next year when you’re fully fit and able to do all you want .
Been talking to the OH tonight and I think we're going to go ahead but scale it back. I'm no stranger to surgeries (this is my 6th) and I know how the recovery progress goes for me. 2 months post op my last procedure which was similar to this one (in terms of the severity of it) I was starting back at work. My fitness level is above average usually so I'm hoping that will weigh me in good stead. I forget this sometimes though and need him to remind me I was still able to get about!

So I guess my question is what do we do between Vegas and LA? We have 2 extra nights to play with so would a stop at Joshua Tree be okay? Is there some easy gentle walks there?
Old 10 Aug 18, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Palm Springs is a nice relaxing resort town near JT and other hikes like Indian Canyon.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 18, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Ariel88 View Post
Been talking to the OH tonight and I think we're going to go ahead but scale it back. I'm no stranger to surgeries (this is my 6th) and I know how the recovery progress goes for me. 2 months post op my last procedure which was similar to this one (in terms of the severity of it) I was starting back at work. My fitness level is above average usually so I'm hoping that will weigh me in good stead. I forget this sometimes though and need him to remind me I was still able to get about!

So I guess my question is what do we do between Vegas and LA? We have 2 extra nights to play with so would a stop at Joshua Tree be okay? Is there some easy gentle walks there?
There’s not a great deal between the two really at least not if you stick to the main route . Towns like Barstow but it’s a bit dull.. Vegas to LA should only take 4-5 hrs anyway
Personally I’d have a night extra in La and Vegas
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List