Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 May 20, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Has anyone worked for Hermes

DH is getting no pay (even though he is entitled to be furlough, Boss made a cock-up so now hes skint LOL) he has applied to do deliveries for Hermes, now years ago I did this for Freemans catalogue and TBH was really not worth the effort (pay wise). Any views will be much appreciated

Thanks
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 20, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
DS has been doing this now for a few months and is sick of it. To be truthful, I think this is more to do with his current job situation (no job but waiting for the go-ahead on one in Cambodia). The Hermes job is self-employed and DS get about 65p per parcel, I think returns may be 20p, and perhaps the same for catalogue deliveries. He travels 14 miles round trip to collect the parcels, fortunately his round is relatively close to home. Most days there are too many parcels to fit in his car, an Astra, fully loaded. So he was driving back to the depot to pick up the remainder before 11:30am, another 14 mile round trip and another hour of not earning money but spending out on fuel. To make life a bit easier, he has arranged for someone else (me!) to pick up the parcels he cannot get in his car, and he gets them later in the day. Today he has about 140 deliveries and reckons he will be finished about 5pm having started about 9am. Little reward but keeps him in beers. He has just sent for a second car seat cover as the first one now has a small wear hole. On Monday, he had to have a new stop/start battery, £200 from Motorworld or my garage friend managed to get one for £180, bless him. We had to find removal and fitting instructions on the internet. That all took a whole day. 😩. Very very stressful.

I did try and find something positive to say, honest!
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 20, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

what about insurance costs, as would need to make sure car insurance covers work - does that have to come out the money he makes as well?
Is it also true that the 65p per package is the same even if he has to go back 3 times to deliver it?

I know a lot of people moan about the service from Hermes but my Hermes man / family have been doing this round for years and are absolutely brilliant.
Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer 2002*Italy 03 *Kenya safari 03*US S'west 04 *Dubai 04*China & Hong Kong 05*Royal Clipper 05*Sth Africa,Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 06*India 06*Iceland 07*WDW VR 07*Tanzania 11*Japan 12*DCL EBTA 13*HK DL, Angkor Wat Cambodia,Vietnam,Thailand,Singapore 2014* DCL EBPC 14*Galapagos, Machu Picchu 15*DCL Hawaii 15*Australia,Bali 16*Asian parks 17*Alaska & polar bears 18*ABC's & Cuba cruise
dee slack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 20, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Apparently, car insurance for work is covered by Hermes. apologies, I had forgotten to include that bit.

65p no matter how many visits he has to make, although he usually leaves undeliverable parcels hidden in sensible places and always takes a photo.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 20, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Apparently, car insurance for work is covered by Hermes. apologies, I had forgotten to include that bit.

65p no matter how many visits he has to make, although he usually leaves undeliverable parcels hidden in sensible places and always takes a photo.
that's good about car insurance otherwise a huge chunk out of his earnings
Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer 2002*Italy 03 *Kenya safari 03*US S'west 04 *Dubai 04*China & Hong Kong 05*Royal Clipper 05*Sth Africa,Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 06*India 06*Iceland 07*WDW VR 07*Tanzania 11*Japan 12*DCL EBTA 13*HK DL, Angkor Wat Cambodia,Vietnam,Thailand,Singapore 2014* DCL EBPC 14*Galapagos, Machu Picchu 15*DCL Hawaii 15*Australia,Bali 16*Asian parks 17*Alaska & polar bears 18*ABC's & Cuba cruise
dee slack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 20, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

OP - not Hermes but are you on any local Facebook groups? I've noticed a few jobs coming up on the groups I'm in (eg yesterday someone wanting 6 warehouse operatives at EMA over £11 an hour, shifts) - might be worth taking a look at any / all areas near where you live. Just a thought and hope he gets something soon. x
Old 15 May 20, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

I see a lot of negative comments regarding Hermes.

We had the same lady do our deliveries for over 10 years, she was fantastic. We made sure to pack our returns into as many bags as possible to give her a bit more and didn’t book returns if we knew she’d be coming again.

I also used to let her know if we wouldn’t be around to save her an unnecessary visit.

On occasion if I knew we’d be expecting a lot and would be out we’d collect from her as she lived around the corner.

I was dreading when she said they’d changed her route but the new guy is very good too. He knows I work locally at a school he delivers to most days so will pop my parcel in there to save the extra stop and my parcel bring left.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 20, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post

We've had no issues with Hermes either, our local Hermes delivery lady has been doing it for years, even to the point she sends us a Christmas Card.

I suppose some of the reason for that is that we work from home, so we basically become the Hermes local delivery for our street - we don't mind at it means she doesn't have to keep retrying deliveries.

I've heard other people have many difficulties with Hermes, but ultimately is comes down to is the delivery driver a "good 'un" or one doing it under sufferance who really hates the job - in my view its a punishing, thankless task that never ends, I wouldn't want to do it, so I'm glad someone else seems to enjoy it (as i like parcels)
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 20, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
jasminedivas
Apprentice Imagineer

jasminedivas's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I was talking to our Hermes guy today, he’s finding it really tough at the moment. He’s said every week is worse than just before Xmas. He joined lsat year and only really wants part time, but at the moment he’s working 9-5.30. His car is full to the brim when he leaves the depot, he didn’t mention having to go back there but did say that he often has to go back for collections if they are at the beginning of his round as he can’t fit them in the car. He said he got paid 50p per parcel for collection, he didn’t say about deliveries.

Comfort Inn LBV 1999, All Star movies 2003/4/6. Villas 2007/8/9/10/12. Wash DC NYE 2012, NY and LV 14. Orlando, NYC & IAD 15, Orlando & beach 16,17. NY & IAD 2019. West coast 2022 planned.
jasminedivas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 20, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I see a lot of posts on here about Hermes issues.

My Guy is awesome and if he is off his replacement is just as good. Hard working and timely. Cannot fault them.

The money they get is dreadful sadly.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List