Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Apr 20, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile Any Year 10 parents/teachers?

How much work are your Year 10’s been given for home schooling at the moment?

Before the Easter hols DS was given 2 pieces of school work a day to complete which was taking him roughly 2-3 hours.
I initially thought this was too little but then came to thinking that the children are trying to come to terms with not being at school so perhaps not to overwhelm them, the teachers are obviously new at trying to sort out work for the kids to do from home plus with the holidays coming up it was no big deal.
We have had a few emotional issues with DS so I didn’t want to come down hard on him about his school work so the 2 subjects a day seemed to be working fine.

However, yesterday we received an email to say that the same will be continuing this half term, 2 subjects a day.
I’m already worried that his year group are missing so much school and how/if this will affect their GCSE’s next year. He is a fairly typical 15 year old boy who often needs a rocket up his backside to keep motivated and with needing fairly high grades to go on to do the A Levels he wants to do I can’t help thinking this isn’t enough.

I’m just interested in what other kids in his year group are being set?

As an aside my DD who is in year 12 (in a different school) and doing a mixture of BTECs and A Levels, apart from her practical Dance is following the exact same timetable as if she was in college via Microsoft Teams

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 20, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

My DD14 is in year 10 and doing her full school timetable plus many teachers seem to be setting more than they would in lessons. She was working all day with a few breaks from 9 - 4ish before Easter and will be doing the same from tomorrow. Like you we are extremely concerned about the impact this will have on their GCSE's next year but at least she is being set work.
Old 19 Apr 20, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
. For the first 2 weeks out of school the school followed the normal school day ( sorry but I’m losing track of dates !) she had work from each lesson and a few zoom conferences. She is quite disciplined with schoolwork and I thought all was going well. Her school didn’t break up until Maundy Thursday for Easter and from the Monday of that week she was given nothing, she says it was so other children could catch up. No homework given for over Easter. That’s not helpful for the children who were doing as they were told and logging on every day and working. Our school use iPads in school and for homework already.
She is off for the rest of this week so will have had no school work to do for 3 weeks. She has used Hegarty maths but even my usually keen daughter is getting disheartened already. I too am really concerned about how this will be affecting her, especially her motivation. I don’t want to be contacting school about it but next week if the work doesn’t resume properly I may have to.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 20, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

Hi, DS is in year 10, for the first 2 weeks he was set work for each lesson (5 in a day) so copied similar to a school day. From tomorrow he has been given a project for each subject, this is to be completed over the next number of weeks, Maths is all on Hegarty Maths. He is very good and completes all his school work without me asking. I’m not going to worry too much, as long as he is happy and completing what he is set then that is fine by me.
Stardust5 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 20, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

Mobile

My daughters are in yr8 and yr12 and got work prior to easter holidays. Tomorrow they start the next lot of work the school has put online to complete, we can access all school years and they have also put out a timetable for each year group to follow. Some of the subjects have lessons that actually last until july! I work in education myself but I'm not forcing them to both work constantly but to do some of the time table daily as noway are they sitting on tablets or watching tv all the time. Eldest actually gets bored, she worked through the holidays and enrolled on an online course to assist in uni applications.
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 20, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Prior to the Easter holidays my daughter was following her normal school timetable with tasks set for all subjects on the topics they were learning, plus Hegarty Maths was set for every day. Over the Easter break she has had a couple of pieces of homework to do and the school asked that students used the time to catch up on anything they hadn't done. The school have also been contacting parents where it appears students haven't done any/enough work to help with any issues.

From tomorrow we've been advised that they will be continuing with the curriculum as much as possible and that tasks for each session should take between 45-60 minutes. The teachers will be selecting units of work that require less teacher instruction/explanation and are easier to self study using videos, tutorials etc. I think they are also looking into doing some subjects via online classes. They have to submit tasks for feedback.

I'm happy with the approach the school are taking and my daughter is quite disciplined so just gets on with it, but I am worried the longer this goes on the harder it will be for her and others to catch up on the exam content. I wondered if the Government decide on a partial school opening, whether years 10 and 12 would be the ones to go in being the ones who are taking exams next year.
mrsdjh is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 20, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Cherrypie
Imagineer

Mobile

Dd2 is y10 and has 5 hrs set per day x

The most magical place on earth
Cherrypie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 20, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

My son is in year 10 and seems to have more work than he can fit into a school day! His sleep pattern is all over the place - two nights ago I got up at 2am and he had his bedroom light on, I went in ready to shout and he was up doing school work! He was been told not to stay up so late and I'm making sure he's in bed by 11 now.
jndt is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 20, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Tracydcp
Imagineer

Mobile

DS is in year 10 and has had quite a lot of work set. They have a shared folder with lessons from each subject and the teachers set work via class charts. DS was I’ll with a sickness bug the week before they broke up so he had a few days off so to speak, which left him with work to do over Easter. He’s all caught up now so will be back to it tomorrow. Don’t think it’s all going in the way it would from a normal lesson though but I suppose it’s all he can do.

April/May 2009, October 2011, May 2013, May 2015
August 2020 We’re going back!
Tracydcp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 20, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Reading all your posts that your children are receiving plenty of work I will make sure I monitor carefully what work she is getting.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List