Notices

Old 13 Aug 18, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Campinggirl
Very Serious Dibber

We're all going on a BEAR HUNT -RV Road Trip with the Kids - Vancouver to the Rockies - August 2018

I'm typing this pre-trip report the night before we head off to Heathrow airport for our fantastic adventure.

We actually booked the trip last September after a quick trip to Trailfinders and we had such a good deal that we snapped it up there and then and then didn't think much of it until quite recently.

There are four of us, I'm Rachel and I'm married to Simon we have 2 kids, Joe (12 ) and Phoebe (9). We like camping but camp in tents in the UK and have never hired an RV before so that's exciting but daunting!

Here are some pictures of us 'practicing' climbing Snowdon in May bank holiday this year.

We decided to fly into Vancouver and home from Calgary so we don't have to drive in a circle, we opted for Vancouver at the start of the trip as you are not allowed to pick up the RV for 48 hours after a Trans Atlantic flight lands and we felt there is more to do with kids in Vancouver than in Calgary.

That decision made the next thing to decide was the route - that was really tough and only finalised on Saturday! We have booked campsites for each night of the journey in advance. This is what we have settled on:

Days 1 and 2 Vancouver
Day 3-4 - pick up RV and Victoria (booked a whale watching tour)
Day 5-7 - Ucuelet for a bear watching tour
Day 8 - Whistler Village to have a look!
Day 9 Clear Water
Day 10-11 - Jasper
Day 12-13 - Lake Louise
Days 14 - 15 Banff
Day 16 Hand RV back and night in downtown Calgary.
Day 17 - fly home

In addition to the bear and whale watching we intend to horse ride and to canoe, we also want to see the Icefield Parkway.

I've packed the kids off tonight to my Mum's and am more or less packed, (although having just seen another dibber's pictures on the Ice Field Parkway I'm going to reconsider some warmer clothes!) We're staying at the Park Inn by Radisson at Heathrow tomorrow as the flight is quite early and we live in the Midlands.

Exciting times!
Campinggirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 18, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Mobile

We did pretty much this exact trip last year with our kids and it was amazing!

Have fun!
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 02:58 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Hope you have a great time. We were going to do a road trip but instead decided to base ourselves in Banff for 2 weeks. Loads of RV's about and the roads are built for them too, even "country" roads are wide enough and the speed limits are quite low.

It is quite chilly in the mornings but warms up by 10-11. Luckily we have had some rain so the smoke haze has cleared quite a bit as they have had some bad fires in Kootenay Park. However our plans haven't been affected by it at all.

Have a safe flight!

Edited at 03:00 AM.
parisdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Campinggirl
Very Serious Dibber

Just completed online check -in woohoo!

Princess Alison - Glad to hear your trip was amazing! So excited now!

parisdisneyfan - thanks for the weather information. We have some warm clothes packed now so should be fine. I have been keeping my eye on the news of the wildfires. The only impact I think it will have is that we may not be able to use the firepits at the national park sites which is not the end of the world.

Also thanks for the info on the roads, I'm a bit less nervous now!
Campinggirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Have a fab time! We’re just back from a similar trip, although not in a RV. Saw lots of them about though!

You’ll have a fab time and I look forward to reading about it. There’s been a few of us Dibbers there over the past few weeks, so it’s lovely to relive our holidays through others.

I’m not sure if you’ve got it already, but we really like the GyPSy app for the Canadian Rockies. You can buy them as a bundle or individually. If you were going to just buy one, then the Icefields Parkway one was particularly helpful in letting you know the best stopping points along the way as you travel.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 18, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkrose
Getting Excited

Rockies road trip 2019

Hi Campinggirl

I was just wondering if you had posted your whole trip report yet and, if so, could you send me a link to it. I am trying to put together a Rockies trip for next May and you did more or less the same route that I am looking at so would be interested to read how you got on.

Regards
Debbie
pinkrose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 18, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Campinggirl
Very Serious Dibber

Hi Pinkrose, I'm just settling down to write it, so much has happened since we've got home I've barely had time to think! You're so lucky to be going next May you'll love it!
Old 28 Oct 18, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Stella11
Getting Excited

Hi Campinggirl.

Im really looking forward to your report but would like to ask a quick question, if I may?

I have a phobia of heights that I developed on a roadtrip through Yosemite, the roads with a sheer drop to the side had me terrified. I was fine through Zion NP and Bryce NP as they had barriers at the side which I was absolutely fine with. Were any of the roads you travelled on (especially in an RV) something for me to worry about? Do you recall?

Thanks in advance.
Stella11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 18, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Campinggirl
Very Serious Dibber

Hi Stella the Banff/ Jasper national parks roads were fine however some of the roads on Vancouver Island and driving from Vancouver via Whistler to Jasper were quite hair raising.

I would say it depends on where you are going and the route you plan to take x
Old 14 Mar 19, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Tor32
Imagineer

Mobile

So glad I’ve found this as have 2 children of similar ages and are looking at planning a similar holiday. Can’t wait to read it all. X
Tor32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List