Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Dec 20, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

New build wall fixings help

Hi all,

Hoping someone will have some advice. I have 3 new Billy bookcases from ikea to secure to the wall.

It comes with some fixings, but I'm guessing I will need different ones for new build walls.

What kind should I get?

Thanks!
Old 2 Dec 20, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4

I use these!
Old 2 Dec 20, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4

I use these! You can get them from most DIY shops!
Old 2 Dec 20, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Are the walls solid or stud?
Different fixings will be needed for each.

I use these for plaster board
screwfix/p/easyfix-s...100-pack/2422h

For solid walls just a good wall plug and screw will do it. I use Fischer plugs as I find them much better than cheap plugs.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 20, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Are the walls solid or stud?
Different fixings will be needed for each.

I use these for plaster board
screwfix/p/easyfix-s...100-pack/2422h

For solid walls just a good wall plug and screw will do it. I use Fischer plugs as I find them much better than cheap plugs.
Sorry! I have no idea. How do you tell what kind of wall? I'm assuming plasterboard.
Old 2 Dec 20, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Those illustrated are good for plasterboard.

We have billy bookcases (and doors that when open can tend to make them want to tip forward). We also live in a new build house with dot and dab plaster walls that have a void between the plasterboard and the block work behind.

I have found that the illustrated fasteners were more than adequate for this ‘Billy bookcase’ use... but not for curtain rails.

For curtain rails we found these pulled out. We had to drill into the block work beyond, put in rawlplugs and use long screws (3 inch). I really wish that we could go back to the old days of plaster.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 08:17 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 20, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

For heavier items attached to plasterboard I prefer using these:

mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 20, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

Thank you everyone! First time doing any kind of DIY! Only ever done flat pack 🤣. Thank you for all the suggestions, a trip to b&q tomorrow is needed for a drill and fixings.
Old 2 Dec 20, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Emmie2016 View Post
Sorry! I have no idea. How do you tell what kind of wall? I'm assuming plasterboard.
If you knock it - does it sound like stone or hollow like knocking a door?
Is it an internal or external wall? If external, then it will likely be solid if internal, it could be either.
You have to drill a hole anyway, so try that and see how soft/hard it is to drill.

The fixings aren't really interchangeable so you really need to know what type of wall you have before trying anything.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 20, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

Remember most wall sockets and lights will have their wires running straight up or down the wall. Be careful drilling above or below these. You can buy battery operated stud finders which will find hidden objects. Also watch out for hidden water pipes near radiators etc especially if they are not obviously there to see. If in doubt ask someone with experience.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List