Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 4 Aug 08, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post

What's on the Menu? - Tokyo Dining

Tokyo Dining

Living with someone who's been a vegetarian for nearly twenty five years, there’s not been much call for raw fish in our house..

Other than eating at the Teppan-style grills we’re not that familiar with Japanese food, so we were a bit apprehensive about eating at Tokyo Dining for the first time.
I have eaten sushi on occasion, but as an ex-vegetarian myself I admit to being a bit squeamish, so I’ve not ventured much further than a cautious California Roll or something simple from M&S.
I noticed there were some tempura dishes on the menu at Tokyo Dining and thought we’d best stick with those…and maybe I’d go for some sushi if I was feeling particularly brave.

We were greeted with copious bows by an exquisitely beautiful Japanese server who seated us by the window in the light, airy dining room.
The menu was longer than I expected, with quite an array of very reasonably priced dishes on offer.
As I looked around I noted that most people were ordering sushi type dishes and saw lot of fresh-looking, colourful creations being brought to the tables. They all looked delicious and I was becoming confident that I’d muster up the courage to order a raw fish dish myself today.

Paul started with a mixed leaf salad with different types of seaweed and a creamy sesame dressing.

He then had Yasai - Mixed Vegetable Tempura with Japanese Dipping Sauce.
The piping hot tempura was really good and Paul enjoyed discovering exactly what veggie delights lay beneath the light, crisp batter.
He found mushroom, red pepper, zucchini, onion, sweet potato and even a beloved asparagus spear.
We very rarely eat deep-fried food and the tempura was much more filling than he’d anticipated so he barely ate any of his steamed rice, and he said if he’d known he was getting more seaweed he’d have chosen a different salad - he’d already exceeded his kelp-quota for the day!

I had an appetiser portion of Assorted Tempura with Japanese Dipping Sauce
There was a piece each of lightly battered shrimp, chicken breast, sweet potato and zucchini. I too was surprised how filling it all was. Tasty though!

(The dipping sauce on the other hand was not in the least bit tasty.
There was actually something quite repulsive about it.
On further analysis we realised it was the smell we so found off-putting. Paul said it reminded him of the shampoo the vet gave us when our Scotty dog’s eczema flared up and became infected - an unfortunate connection, but that was exactly what it smelled of.
The offending sauce was quickly cast to the other side of the table in favour of some good old fashioned soy sauce)

I spent ages flicking through the menu and dithering over the numerous options. The pages were filled with exotic sounding sushi/sashimi/nigiri etc.
I so wanted to be adventurous, but I was afraid that in reality I’d take one mouthful and absolutely hate it.
Our server very patiently took the time to explain how things were prepared and she made some suggestions, but still I couldn’t make a decision.
My dithering was becoming rather embarrassing so I wimped out completely and went for the safe option of a freshly grilled Salmon Roll - which was very nice indeed.

It took a bit of a leap, especially as there are other places we really love eating at in Epcot, but I’m so pleased that we stepped out of our comfort zone to try Tokyo Dining.
We were very comfortable with the casual and calm atmosphere (we went at lunch time, I got the impression it can get a bit hectic in the evenings) and the service was faultless.
I really enjoyed the food I had today (except the whiffy dog shampoo) and I’d definitely like to dine here again. I intend to be more daring with my choices next time - and I’ll definitely be more decisive!
Paul enjoyed the experience too, but isn’t quite as enthusiastic as I am to return. However I’ve been taking note of the vegetarian sushi on the menu, and I’m hoping to entice him back with the offer of an asparagus roll!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 08, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Leanne1977
Imagineer

Leanne1977's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Thanks for sharing Su.

I must be honest and say this sort of food really doesn't appeal to me at all. I am fairly unadventurous and prefer to stick with what I know.
But the veggie offering doesn't look too bad, but I notice you said Paul isn't fussed about going back.

Well done for stepping out of your comfort zone and trying it though as you never know until you go.

WDW Villa Jul/Aug 2005
DLP SL Jan/Feb 2006, DCR Feb 2007, Cheyenne Feb 2008, NB Nov 2009, Ibis July 2010
WDW Pop Sept 2006
WDW ASM/HRH/POP Sept 2007 free DDP
WDW Regal Sun/SSR/CIAS May 2008
WDW CIAS/RPR/Cypress Pointe GV Aug 2008
WDW Highgate Park/AKV/BCV Dec 2008
WDW SSR/Pop May 2009
WDW RPR/BCV/BWV/VB/VWL/OKW/Kidani/DCL Jul/Aug 2009
WDW Dibb Villa/Regal Sun May 2010
WDW BCV/VB/DCL Oct/Nov 2010 Wedding trip!
WDW SSR/Dibb Villa/VB Oct 2011 1st wedding anniversary trip!
WDW OKW/VB/Peabody Aug 2013
Leanne1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 08, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
truesdpr
Imagineer

truesdpr's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
All looks beautifully presented Su. Not sure it would be our cup of tea but probably like you may be a lunch option rather than a dinner one. I'm sure Bill would like to try it. I think I'd also have some major dithering over menu choices!

Pam.
truesdpr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 08, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Sounds good apart from the dog shampoo, I wish we were eating here but I've already ADR's coming out of my ears.
I do like Sushi, in fact I'm going into Manchester soon and intend to have some at the Sushi bar in Selfridges later on as I have a 50% off voucher
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 08, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post

I'm glad it's not just us then.

I do wish I was more into that sort of food - as I say it's not the kind of food that Paul is naturally drawn to at all.

I definitely recommend it for a lunch time experiment though . The sushi was very reasononably priced - around $7. and it was plenty big enough for sharing.
Old 4 Aug 08, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by JudyC View Post
Sounds good apart from the dog shampoo, I wish we were eating here but I've already ADR's coming out of my ears.
I do like Sushi, in fact I'm going into Manchester soon and intend to have some at the Sushi bar in Selfridges later on as I have a 50% off voucher

Oooh the sushi always looks delicious there Judy - brave girl!

I can still conjure up the dog shampoo whiff YUK!
I don't know what on earth made it smell like that
Old 4 Aug 08, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
Whiffy dog shampoo...lol's

Su you always leave me wanting to eat at the places you have with your great reports and photos.
I have just shown your photos to DH and even he has said to maybe change one of our ADR's to eat here. mmmmmm I wonder
Old 4 Aug 08, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
gala
Imagineer

gala's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 24

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 336
Glad you enjoyed it Su. Great pics and report as always.

Margaret

1999 - All Star Music
2001 - Quality Inn International and All Star Movies
2004 - Homewood Suites I Drive and All Star Music
2006 - Homewood Suites I Drive, Royal Pacific Resort and Pop Century
2008 - Homewood Suites, Hard Rock Hotel and Coronado Springs
2010 Homewood Suites, RPR, POFQ
2013 Homewood Suites, RPR,OKW

gala is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 08, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Chelle27
Imagineer

Chelle27's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Hirarious!

I love sushi - this sounds like my idea of heaven. I'll try anything once!

http://photobucket.com/albums/v495/OrlandoBelle/Glitter%20sigs/Chelle2.gif

Hawthorn Suites @ Seaworld July 2005
High Grove, Clermont, July 2006
The Bad Hair Trip Report - July 2005

The Your Eyes Are Bigger Than Your Bellie Trippie - August 2006
Chelle27 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 08, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Despite being veggie, I'm a huge fan of both sushi and Japanese food generally. I take sushi in all forms - the little 'ready to eat' packs from the supermarkets, we make our own at home and we often choose Japanese restaurants when presented with a choice - miso soup, sushi, noodles and tempura - ideal food for us.

I've eaten at Tokyo Dining (or whatever it was called before the refurb) on a few occasions and always had a good meal. We're giving Teppan Edo a go this time - it should keep Mads amused.

Probably the best sushi we've had in Orlando was in the RPR at Universal - there's a quite informal bar/lounge area and it was excellent - I think I've posted a picture of our sushi dragon thing before.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List