Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Food Reports and Free DDP 2008 - Kona Café Dinner

Saturday 30th August 2008

I had been looking forward to this meal having really enjoyed the last dinner I had here - we presented ourselves for our 8.10pm ADR bang on time and were seated within 5-10 minutes.
Can I just say at this point that I never noticed how noisy this restaurant was last time, as we were tucked off to the side. This time, it was very noticeable and very busy.
Also, this was our only one credit table service meal where we were not rushed through at indigestion speed - exactly the opposite! We were seated around 8.15pm and did not leave until 10.20pm, mainly due to painfully slow service - I know, there is just no pleasing some people

We started off with cocktails - a Mai Tai for me (with obligatory chunk of pineapple), one I cannot remember for Lynn and Mike, a beer for Frank and a Coke for Simon.

I started off with the Sticky Wings - which have a tangy mustard drizzle and toasted sesame seeds:

These were very yummy, I had though that they would be the same as we had at Ohana' which were divine. They did taste different though - perhaps the mustard "drizzle"? I enjoyed them, but did find 6 rather a large portion and had to leave a couple as I could not then have eaten my entree!
Lynn had the Shrimp Roll - tempura shrimp with mango and sushi rice, served with passion fruit--orange-guava sauce:

She enjoyed this but also felt somewhat overfaced as it was very big for an "appetiser"

Mike had the Chicken Noodle Soup - forgot to photograph it! Think he thought it "ok"
Frank and Simon went for the Pot Stickers - wok seared duck dumplings with creamy ginger soy sauce:

No complaints from either of them as they ate the lot - both had enjoyed the dumplings at Ohana' as well. Don't think they were too sure about the green stuff though!

Onto the entrees: Lynn opted for the Tuna Oscar - served with fried green tomatoes, tempura fried jumbo lump crab and wasabi hollandaise:

which she enjoyed.
Mike had the Shrimp and Scallops - panko breaded shrimp and pan seared scallops with sticky rice and ponzu (I have no idea!), spicy guava passion fruit and wasabi cream sauces:

He really enjoyed these, but we were all rather amazed at the portion size considering how large the appetisers had been?

Frank, Simon and I all went for the Pan Asian Noodles with sliced chicken, pineapple, seasonal vegetables and a house made sweet and sour sauce:

These looked and initially tasted lovely, but in no time, the pineapple and sweet and sour flavour was completely overpowering. I could taste nothing else - the vegetables, chicken and noodles were swamped and it spoiled the whole thing for me. Frank enjoyed his much more than me and comparing plates - all I seemed to have on mine was noodles and pineapple, with some chicken? Perhaps when they portion it out, they could check more?

For desserts, Mike and Frank had the White Chocolate Cheesecake:

which went down well.
Simon had the Chocolate Fondue:

He enjoyed this and which I should have had in hindsight!

Lynn and I struggled for a choice and in the end went for the Coconut Cream Kiki Tart:

(I had to be careful how I photographed this for decency!)

To be frank - it was horrid. Just a huge dollop of cream on a pastry base with some dessiccated coconut on the top. Two lychees and raspberries with a biscuit snap. We both left most of it.

In hindsight this was not a bad meal, but my notes of the day say "just ok really, pretty poor on the whole. Slow service and VERY noisy, sorry I booked it now"!

I am still wondering why the appetisers were bigger than some of the entrees, can anyone tell me?

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 08, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Leanne1977
Imagineer

Leanne1977's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Thanks for sharing Sue, the pics are great!

I think slow service seems to be typical here as we were kept waiting around 25 mins when there were tables free! We did start to get a bit annoyed and then they seated us.

It was a lovely meal but your comments on your noodle dish just sum it up for me. I feel they have spoilt that dish. Pineapple and sweet and sour does nothing for me at all and with it being the only veggie option available(obviously minus the chicken), I doubt we will return.

The desserts look gorgeous, particularly the cheesecake. Sorry you didn't enjoy yours though.

WDW Villa Jul/Aug 2005
DLP SL Jan/Feb 2006, DCR Feb 2007, Cheyenne Feb 2008, NB Nov 2009, Ibis July 2010
WDW Pop Sept 2006
WDW ASM/HRH/POP Sept 2007 free DDP
WDW Regal Sun/SSR/CIAS May 2008
WDW CIAS/RPR/Cypress Pointe GV Aug 2008
WDW Highgate Park/AKV/BCV Dec 2008
WDW SSR/Pop May 2009
WDW RPR/BCV/BWV/VB/VWL/OKW/Kidani/DCL Jul/Aug 2009
WDW Dibb Villa/Regal Sun May 2010
WDW BCV/VB/DCL Oct/Nov 2010 Wedding trip!
WDW SSR/Dibb Villa/VB Oct 2011 1st wedding anniversary trip!
WDW OKW/VB/Peabody Aug 2013
Leanne1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 08, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyD
Imagineer

DisneyD's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 14
Oh dear I have the Kona booked for our 1st night - maybe I should rebook for O'halana?

What do you think?
Old 29 Sep 08, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Don't let my report sway you Denise!
Maybe there was just some bad choices made is all?

First time I went, I really liked Kona - had the crab cakes and Mahi-Mahi then.

I think I would still have it as one of my one credit meals on the DDP?

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS

Edited at 04:46 PM.
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 08, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Thanks for the report Sue

Barry had the cheesecake and really enjoyed it, I had the crème brulee which was fabulous.

I've found with a lot of the one credit restaurants you get better service at lunch when they are not as busy.

Caron
Old 30 Sep 08, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Another great report an pics
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 08, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks for another lovely report Sue.
Old 2 Oct 08, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
Thanks for the report Sue. It really does seem strange that the starters were larger than the main course

We are eating here for breakfast only.
Old 4 Oct 08, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Oh why oh why did they have to change that noodle recipe? It used to be sooo good!
Paul felt just the same as you - not bad for the first few mouthfuls then totally overwhelmed by the pineappley sweetness.

Don't like the sound of the Kikki dessert at all. The puds used to be a real highlight but all the good stuff is disappearing lately.
I'm afraid Kona is a shadow of it's former self.
We still go every visit, but I'm more and more aware it's becomng a sentimental journey. I just love those sticky wings - they better not take ever them away from me!

Sis's sushi looks good
Old 4 Oct 08, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Bovril
Apprentice Imagineer

When we ate there a few years ago it was a fantastic meal,so with great expectations we booked 2 ADRs for our trip in August.
We were really dissapointed,it was noisey very slow and although the food looked good on the plate it was really dissapointing.Very little flavour and DD had the chicken with noodles which were cold and overcooked. I had the shrimp and scallops which were awful,the scallops were very undercooked and by the time I flagged down the waitress they were also cold and DD had given up with hers.
Best bit was the fondue,the only thing we didn't wait for was for the bill,which arrived way before the sweet! I cancelled the 2nd ADR as we left the restaurant