Old 14 Jan 09, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Leanne1977
Imagineer

Leanne1977's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Yachtsmans Steakhouse Dec 2008

So the Yachtsmans was our choice for our romantic meal while the boys were at the Neverland Club. We were torn between here and Narcoossees but after having a look at both of the menus we plumped for the Yachtsmans as the veggie offering suited me more.
Our ADR was for 7.45pm and we arrived early after dropping the boys off at the Poly at 7pm. We requested a table at the window as I remember McSue remarking on the more intimate feel here. Then we made our way to the bar. DH ordered a beer(a Sam Adams I think) and I thought I would have my first Glowtini ever! I have always seen these in trip reports but had never tried one myself. So I went for it. Shortly after we ordered them our buzzer was going crazy so we made our way back to the dining room. We were shown to our table and told that Oscar would be our server tonight.
Here we are enjoying our drinks. Sam Adams is DHs fav beer and I really enjoyed my Glowtini, it was quite strong but seemed to get better the more I drank.

Ooo get me with me posh drink, not a babycham in sight!

Oscar introduced himself and I knew immediately we were going to love him. He was so warm and friendly. He noticed we had drinks so he left us to look at the menus before taking our order. He also brought us some lovely bread, the onion bread is gorgeous especially with the garlic. I am not a fan of the sourdough though, I have tried it at a few restaurants and I'm not keen.

We decided to share a cheese plate to start as we both love cheese and didn't want to be too full from the appetizer to fully appreciate our entree. It arrived promptly and we tucked straight in.

This is a very good cheese plate. DH enjoyed them all with the Rogue River Blue being his favourite(bottom of the pic). I did try the blue cheese but lets be frank, I pretty much think it smells and tastes like old socks so I let DH have that one.Thats not a slur on the Yachtsmans blue cheese at all, but I just don't like the look of it, anywhere, and it puts me off. The rest of them were wonderful with the Saint Andre(top one in the pic) being my personal favourite. It was so creamy and delicious and went perfectly with the cherry flavour. Yum! For your info the second cheese is Corsu Vecchiu and the third cheese is Ciabot.

Then after a perfect amount of time, our main courses arrived. I hate being rushed in a restaurant and a pet peeve is when the entree comes when I'm still eating my appetizer. This has only happened a couple of times and I'm too nice to ask them to take it back but it does irritate me. None of that nonsense here though.

I had gone for the Wild Mushroom Free Formed Ravioli,

Absolutely devine! This was one of my favourite veggie meals I have ever had in Florida. The dish suits me down to the ground. I love ravioli and I'm a big mushroom fan so it couldn't fail to impress me. The dish was full of mushrooms and it was a big portion for me, although somehow I managed to force it down! I really enjoyed the broth, it had a lovely flavour. Big thumbs up from me and I hope its still on the menu in August.

DH had decided to go for the lamb after McSue loved it so much. He asked to substitute mash potatoes instead of the butternut squash as it doesn't appeal to him. Oscar asked him how he wanted it cooked and DH said medium/well. Oscar suggested that for this particular dish maybe medium would be best. DH said as long as it didn't have any blood in it, that he would trust Oscars judgement.
Boneless lamb loin with mashed potato and lamb-merlot reduction,

I have it on good authority from DH that this lamb was cooked to perfection. DH didn't speak very much during this dish but I did keep hearing oooing and ahhing, so basically he LOVED it! I think this slightly overshadowed the chicken at the Cali Grill, but it was a close call.

At this point can I just say it was so lovely to have this night together. We don't very often get to go out on our own so when we do, we really appreciate those couple of hours together. Of course a lot of the conversation involved our children but thats ok, we are a family after all. But it was really a very special and memorable evening for both of us, so thank you to my DH for taking me.
Right enough of this slushy stuff and onto desserts. Now anyone that knows me on here will know that I pretty much live to eat dessert and if its a chocolate one then I am in heaven. I decided to go for the most expensive dessert on the menu as I had spied it on the way in and had been thinking about it ever since!
Yule Log Chocolate Mousse Cake with amaretto cherries and toasted almond gelato,

I have no technical food words so I will just say it was really yummy! It was a little heavier that the dessert I had at the Cali and also bigger so I did struggle a little to finish it, but it didn't beat me. The ice cream was gorgeous, you could really taste the almonds. I enjoyed it a lot.

DH is a very plain dessert eater and usually goes for something simple like this,
Sorbet Trio,

He enjoyed it and found it very refreshing. The flavours were pear, cranberry and lemon-basil with the cranberry being his favourite.

Throughout the night we had wonderful service and general chat from Oscar. He was attentive and professional without being overbearing. I just loved him, I really could have just given him a big cuddle. Here we are getting on so well,

We will most definately be requesting him as our server in August. He really added to our evening.
He took a lovely picture of us too,

To be honest I wasn't really ready for the evening to end so we had a stroll around the Boardwalk, hand in hand. We popped in the shop and got a little something for each of the boys. I always feel a bit of guilt when we leave them so I like to get them something so they know we were thinking of them during our evening.
Then we watched some of Illuminations whilst walking back to the car,

What a perfect way to end a perfect evening. The Yachtsmans was fantastic for us this evening. I could not fault one thing and its happily sitting up there with the Cali Grill for me now.

WDW Villa Jul/Aug 2005
DLP SL Jan/Feb 2006, DCR Feb 2007, Cheyenne Feb 2008, NB Nov 2009, Ibis July 2010
WDW Pop Sept 2006
WDW ASM/HRH/POP Sept 2007 free DDP
WDW Regal Sun/SSR/CIAS May 2008
WDW CIAS/RPR/Cypress Pointe GV Aug 2008
WDW Highgate Park/AKV/BCV Dec 2008
WDW SSR/Pop May 2009
WDW RPR/BCV/BWV/VB/VWL/OKW/Kidani/DCL Jul/Aug 2009
WDW Dibb Villa/Regal Sun May 2010
WDW BCV/VB/DCL Oct/Nov 2010 Wedding trip!
WDW SSR/Dibb Villa/VB Oct 2011 1st wedding anniversary trip!
WDW OKW/VB/Peabody Aug 2013

Edited at 12:55 AM.
Leanne1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 09, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Cinders Mum
Imagineer
- DIBB Advertiser -

Cinders Mum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14
awww you are a right softie Leanne... LOL

Great review honey, and fab piccie of you and your wonderful OH... I have to say that or I will get into big trouble next time I call LOL.

HELEN KNOWLES
GOLD PERSONAL TRAVEL COUNSELLOR

T: 01205 804340
E:helen.knowles@travelcounsellors.com
http://www.travelcounsellors.co.uk/helen.knowles

Travel Counsellors Trust Protection on Every Part of your Booking. ATOL Bonded.
Cinders Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 09, 12:53 AM  
Link to this Post
mobeckwith
Imagineer

wonderfull report,the food looks fab. mo x.
mobeckwith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 09, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
Another lovely report Leanne

Food looks delicious.
Old 15 Jan 09, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
fletchie148
Imagineer

How lovely Leanne, what a great report, you looked like you were having a really great time!
This will be one for my list
2000 - Disney All Star Movies 2000 - 2007 - Quality Inn International. 2005 - Quality Inn Suites 2008 - The Fountains 2009 - Orange Lake 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016. Vista Cay 2017. The Grove Resort & Spa 2018
Majorca - Tonga Towers 2019. Orange Lake 2020 - never happened. Orange Lake 2022. Orange Lake 2023. Voco Dubai 2024
fletchie148 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 09, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Maz
Imagineer

We had to cancel our reservation for YSH in December and it still saddens me!

Looks a lovely meal.
1994 St Pete's Beach. 2000 Comfort Suites Maingate East/Clearwater. 2005 Clarion Universal 2006 POFQ/Homewood Universal. 2006 POFQ/Boardwalk Villas/RPR 2007 POR/Wonder Cruise/POP. 2008 BCV/Disney Panama Canal Cruise/GCH, DL. 2008 SSR/RPR/BC. 2009 SSR/BCV/Villa. Sept-Oct Magic B2B Cruises/SSR/BCV/Villa. 2010 SSR/Villa. Sept DCL WB Transatlantic Cruise. 2011 Jan-Feb DCL Panama Canal Cruise/GCV/Villa. 2011 Sept-Oct DCL WB Transatlantic Cruise/Villa
Maz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 09, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen uk
Imagineer

Helen uk's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Oh thanks Leanne that was fab.Se what uve been missing not having a Glo Tini for so long mmmm

2006 Animal Kindgom Lodge
2007 Villa Caribbean Beach Resort and HRH
Helen uk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 09, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
rusty30
Imagineer

Great review Leanne. Yachtsmans is our fave onsite restaurant and it didnt disappoint this year either! The only item we had on your list was DH had the Yule Log which was divine (I managed to get a scoop ).
rusty30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 09, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post

great review Leanne, I am so pleased i have this on my list for september
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 09, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
sueandco
Imagineer

sueandco's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Sounds fantastic - on our next trip in July we won't be doing any Disney restaurants but when we go back in Dec 2010 we hope to stay on site for a couple of nights and I am already in planning mode!