Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 14 Jan 09, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
rusty30
Imagineer

Christmas Food Reports...PT1 Ohana / Boma

Goodness know what century it will be before I get a full trip report started, so as a filler, he are some thoughts of some of our Dining Experiences from our Christmas 2008 trip.

Sorry about the lack of pics, but although it maybe easy to whip out a slim little compact camera and snap your filet mignon whilst the server is decorking your Lambrini when you have camera the size of a brick, its not quite so easy. I maybe an as common as muck Essix bird but even I felt marginally self conscious heaving out my DSLR camera amongst the truffle sauce and pan seared scallops. I did ponder whether to casually mention these pictures would grace my dining review in the Basildon Evening Echo in the hope they thought I was an internationally reknowed food critic, but alas I never plucked up the courage.

You will then have to let your mind imagine the wondrous delights of what graced our plates (or in the case of some establishments, you maybe quite grateful there is no actual footage of the roadkill that adorned them).

OK, let start basic. When we get off the plane, we arent a family who have an ADR waiting and make our way chirpily to Boma or Bahama Breeze for a hearty feast. No, our tradition is much more simplistic - we head straight for the Macdonalds inside Disney World. Look, if you were looking for something a bit higher class, then I hear that McSue does a much more upmarket food report... .

After 9 hours on a plane, trapped with only Virgin Atlantic cuisine, Id probably eat at Ponderosa and say it was brill, so its no surprise then that our basic fayre at Maccy Ds went down a treat. Kids had chicken nugget happy meals - oh except the eldest, who at 8 is at the crossroads of life where its a fine line between the Happy Meal (and a toy) or a proper grown up meal (no toy, but can enjoy feeling extremely adult). She chooses a filet-o-fish. Nanny Sylvie has one too. DH and I have the chicken club sandwich. Total $36 - holey moley - I remember the days when $36 bought you 3 courses for 4 at TGI Fridays!

Our second meal (if you discount the chicken tenders we bought from Winn Dixie for supper last night) was breakfast at Ohana at the Polynesian Resort. This is a character meal served Family Style. This does not mean that mum gets up and cooks it whilst the kids watch Nick Jr and dad reads the paper, but basically a whole heap of food arrives in a big metal dustbin lid. Kind of.

Anyways, our ADR is for 7.50am and we arrive in good time. Checked in at the podium and we refuse to be touristy and decline the photograph, casually dropping in we have been here SO many times we have no need of giving you yet another $30 for a picture that will stay in the drawer forever more. We are seated immediately in our usual table (its a family mystery that we so often get the same tables in restaurants, year after year. I bet Poirot couldnt solve that one).

The server drops off some fruit and some pineapple bread. All fresh and tasty. Bill proceeds to use the fruit as lego and builds an impressive tower from cubes of pineapple, melon and grapes. Other 2 kids enjoy eating some of it.

Drinks orders are taken and its jungle juice all round (they call it something different here, but its the same stuff they do at Boma) apart from Nanny Sylvie who has coffee.

Shortly our dustbin lid of artery clogging breakfast things arrive. There is sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, potato wedges, scones and a bit more fruit. Oh and some Mickey Waffles and maple syrup.

Although the sausages look exactly like a walls banger, they disappointingly solid and yukky. This is no surprise as they've been like this for years so I know to avoid them. Kids love them though and seconds have to be ordered. Bacon is cremated just how I like it and the wedges are salty and delish. Not fussed about the egg - scrambled egg has to be piping hot and I dont like it luke warm.

I love the wedges though and scoff those with bacon - my heart flutters in protest so scoff some fruit to compensate. We get through so much juice our server brings out a pitcher - thats more like it!

The characters are well spaced out, friendly and add to the atmosphere nicely. A great start to the holiday and its a hit again.

Cost $96 tip included as we were a party of 6 which isnt too bad.

Another tradition of our first day is to tuck the kids up early (jet lag dontcha know!) and leave Nanny Sylvie in charge whilst DH and I slip out to Boma for dinner.

Remember to check in at the lobby which is deserted and we have a nice chat with the lady on duty. She says our table will be 20 mins so its time to pop to the bar for a quick drinkies.

We really like the bar here and slip onto the bar stools just as if we had popped "dahn the Vic" for a pint . We peruse the cocktail menu and DH goes for a Sangria (I cringe a bit - look darling we are at Disney World not Costa Del Benidorm!) and I go for a far more upmarket Hurricane (not sure exactly what was in it, but I saw the words "Southern Comfort" and was sold!). We swap sips and actually think DHs Sangria was a bit nicer than my Hurricane. As he is driving I dont let him drink the whole glass so swipe about a third.

Our pager buzzes just as we are finishing up the cocktails so off we go down to Boma. We are seated in a prime spot just near the buffet entrance so nice and easy to get a little of what we fancy (steady).

Our server is Jeff (who we meet again later in the week) who is a very nice guy and sets us up with some diet cokes. The specials tonight are BBQ salmon (apparantly the salmon has a different topping, crust or marinade every night), pork and spicy chicken. There is also prime rib. I start with some potatoes with a spicy vegetable mix, a slice of prime rib which I add some Boma mustard (this is in little pots at the front of the carving station - dont miss this or the cherry BBQ sauce!). Add a little salad and Im back ready to start.

DH loads up with salmon, bobotie (Im not keen on this but its like mincemeat with a yorkshire pudding top) chicken and salad.

I make a return run for some flatbread and tomato hummous and a scoop of curry pasta salad. Lovely. DH gets some more salmon with salad.

We are soon getting pretty full and its time to move on to the wonderful dessert bar. This has always been one of the best bits about Boma and although there isnt as much on it as there used to be, its still mega. I fit on one zebra dome, pineapple cheesecake and a dollop of banana pud with rum sauce. Time to undo another notch on the belt! DH is diabetic so has to be carefull, although the massive splodge of chocolate mousse on his plate does seem to fly in the face of that. Im standing by with a vial of Insulin...(joking -he only takes tablets for it!).

A lovely meal and pretty reasonable at $74.

Tomorrow - Red Lobster, Crystal Palace and Ohana Dinner.
rusty30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 09, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Great report even without photo's I could conjure up a good image of the food. I'm looking forward to reading the other reports...do hurry up with them
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 09, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post

Great report Allie. I now have this picture of you in my head trying to take a picture with a huge camera
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 09, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Great start Allie and I'm looking forward to reading more

Originally Posted by rusty30 View Post
... Look, if you were looking for something a bit higher class, then I hear that McSue does a much more upmarket food report... ...

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 09, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by rusty30
Basildon Evening Echo in the hope they thought I was an internationally reknowed food critic, but alas I never plucked up the courage.
'Ere, I thought it was the Clacton Chronicle you were doing that for

Great reviews ... but $36 for Mcd's?!
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 09, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post

I can understand you shying away from taking pics with a ginormous camera Allie. Sometimes Paul only has his big camera with us and I'm like "take it really quick - don't let people see you taking loads of food pics "

So I'll forgive the absence of pics, especially as you are so amazing with words - I can almost taste that lovely food at Boma

Not sure if I can forgive the fact that now I'll be forever thinking of the Victoria Falls Lounge Bar as "dahn the Vic" though
Old 24 Jan 09, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post

Great report!
Old 24 Jan 09, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Leanne1977
Imagineer

Leanne1977's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Good start Allie.

Its also good to have the prices, its very helpful when planning meals.

Looking forward to more.

WDW Villa Jul/Aug 2005
DLP SL Jan/Feb 2006, DCR Feb 2007, Cheyenne Feb 2008, NB Nov 2009, Ibis July 2010
WDW Pop Sept 2006
WDW ASM/HRH/POP Sept 2007 free DDP
WDW Regal Sun/SSR/CIAS May 2008
WDW CIAS/RPR/Cypress Pointe GV Aug 2008
WDW Highgate Park/AKV/BCV Dec 2008
WDW SSR/Pop May 2009
WDW RPR/BCV/BWV/VB/VWL/OKW/Kidani/DCL Jul/Aug 2009
WDW Dibb Villa/Regal Sun May 2010
WDW BCV/VB/DCL Oct/Nov 2010 Wedding trip!
WDW SSR/Dibb Villa/VB Oct 2011 1st wedding anniversary trip!
WDW OKW/VB/Peabody Aug 2013
Leanne1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 09, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
elliemay
Imagineer

Great Report
Old 25 Jan 09, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Wot no pics!

Ok then I kind of understand I suppose and lovely descriptions which almost make up for it.
Thanks for this report Allie - always good to get food reports

I was out with family for an Italian meal the other night and my sister asked where the camera was and did she have to wait before tucking in?

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List