Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 24 May 23, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Fullmoon
A Guest at All-Stars

Where to start

First time visiting. Leaving in July so our 60 day window to book is about to begin. However I’m not sure where to start.

How do I choose what to book, where and when?
Fullmoon is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 23, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

It is usual to choose to eat where you plan to be.

Narrow down the geography and start from there. A broad daily location planner is necessary before you start.

Disney332
Old 24 May 23, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Coffeedrinker
Getting Excited

WDW has a *lot* of restaurants to eat at. Some are in the parks themselves (Magic Kingdom, Epcot etc) with others at the resorts/hotel complexes and Disney Springs.

The restaurants break down into two broad categories; quick service and table service/character dining/signature. You don’t need a reservation to eat at a quick service restaurant. turn up, order, collect your food and find a seat. Same as you would at a McDonalds or similar.

For the other restaurants, you may be able to walk up and get a seat without a reservation, but this is not always possible, especially for the more popular restaurants. Generally if there is somewhere specific you want to eat, try and get an advance dining reservation (ADR).

Disney have a list of restaurants, the kind of food they serve and a rough indication of price per head listed at disneyworld/dining/

As a first timer, it is probably best to consider restaurants in a park where you have a park reservation already that day (you can make dining reservations anywhere, but if you haven’t got a park hopper ticket or the park is closed to new entrants without reservations, you won’t be able to use your dining reservation).

WDW restaurants cover pretty much the entire world of cuisine, with budgets from the modest to the very serious.

As a rough, first timer guide:

1. Decide what sort of dining you like and do not like the idea of. Italian? Japanese? Seafood? Steak? Do you have any children with you? Fussy eaters? Anyone with allergies or intolerances?

2. Decide on a per-head budget for each restaurant visit. Also think about drinks, tax and gratuities to be added on to the menu prices.

2. If you’ve made park reservations already (if you haven’t, look to do so), then check disneyworld/dining/ to see what restaurants are at that park that matches both preferred food types and budget. This should give you a ‘shortlist’ for each park. Also consider the time of day you want to eat. ‘Breakfast/lunch/dinner time’ can mean very different things to different people.

Each restaurant entry at disneyworld/dining/ also has the full menu available, so you can check out kids meals etc. WDW restaurants all take food allergies and intolerances seriously, and will advise and cater accordingly if asked.

3. There are plenty of restaurant reviews out there (my own fave being Disney Food Blogg) and there are plenty here will offer their thoughts on any given restaurant you might be considering.

4. At 60 days, you can book an ADR for restaurants. Can do this either via the WDW website (log in, browse to the restaurant, make a reservation) or through the My Disney Experience (MDE) app. Some restaurants may want a credit card to secure a reservation and to change in the the event of a no show. Others require full payment upfront for serious demand (Cinderella’s Royal Table in the MK castle). This will vary by restaurant.

5. ADRs can be cancelled or amended, depending on availability, ahead of time. The further in advance you can do this, the better the chance of not being charged as a now show or similar. Besides, it’s good karma to release unwanted ADRs for others.

ADRs work the same way for non-quick service restaurants at the WDW resorts and at Disney Springs.

You can always check out ‘how to make ADR at Disney World’ on YouTube. Don’t get too hung up on the ‘how to get those hard to get ADRs’ too much - there is a world of difference between getting an ADR for somewhere good to eat and ninja’ ing an ADR for the most popular restaurant on peak demand days and times.

Lastly most country locations in World Showcase in Epcot, all around the big central lake, have a full table service restaurant and a quick service restaurant. If you’re not sure about the risk/expense of a table service, try out the associated quick service restaurant to see if the food is to taste or not.
2022: Port Orleans French Quarter
2023: Port Orleans French Quarter (October!}
Coffeedrinker is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 23, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Fullmoon
A Guest at All-Stars

Thank you.

So I have my tickets bought, how do I reserve my park days?
Fullmoon is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 23, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Coffeedrinker
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Fullmoon View Post
Thank you.

So I have my tickets bought, how do I reserve my park days?
Log onto Disneyworld.co.uk with the same account your park tickets have been purchased/registered against. Go to the MyDisneyExperience tab, then Theme Park Reservations. The big ‘Make or Modify Theme Park Reservations’ button will take you through the process.

Rules of thumb are:

You need a park reservation for the day on which you want to visit a specific park.
if you have a park hopper ticket, you can hop over to another park without a reservation AFTER 2PM AND you must have visited the park you originally had a reservation for first.

Eg

To visit Magic Kingdom on 1st June, you must have a park reservation for Magic Kingdom.

if you want to park hop over to Epcot on 1st June, you can only go after 2pm and only after you’ve entered Magic Kingdom beforehand. If you have a park reservation for MK on 1st June and decide not to go to MK but instead go straight to Epcot, you won’t be able to go in. You must go to MK first.

Park reservations, like ADRs, can be changed and/or cancelled at any time as needed.
2022: Port Orleans French Quarter
2023: Port Orleans French Quarter (October!}
Coffeedrinker is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List