Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 29 Dec 16, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
6jonesss
Apprentice Imagineer

Cruise recommendations for families pls

We would like to do another cruise in the Caribbean around this time next year. Just on the end of a 7 day cruise on epic at present. I've cruise once family haven't before. We have decided we would like to cruise again but wouldn't do EPIC again Andrea doubt we can afford Disney.

Any recommendations please.

Thanks.
6jonesss is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 16, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
disneymadhouse
Imagineer

disneymadhouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
I've heard royal Caribbean and NCL are good for families. They would be the first ones I would look at if I wasn't looking at DCL.
Carnival has a reputation as a party ship, where the focus does seem to be on alcohol. Of course this probably depends on the ship, destination, time of year and the mix of other passengers
We nearly booked the Carnival vista last year for this year as it was brand new, and a lot cheaper than DCL. But the Disney Magic lured us back!

1994 Lindfields Villa 1999 Polynesian/Disney Magic 2002 All Star Sports 2007 Best Western Lakeside 2012 OKW 2014 Disney Magic 2015 OKW/Disney Dream/AoA 2016 Disney Magic 2017 OKW 2018 Disney Dream / OKW / All Star Movies 2019 CBR
DVC Owner at OKW
disneymadhouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 16, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We didn't like the Epic either but like the smaller NCL ships and also like royal Caribbean. we did do a Disney cruise in August and it was the best by far but is obviously more expensive, we will definitely do one again though.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 16, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

What age are your children? We had great family holidays with P&O when ours were younger, as teens they loved Celebrity. We don't like the huge ships.
MSC have great prices but haven't been with them yet.
Old 29 Dec 16, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Cyclospora
Imagineer

Cyclospora's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Royal Caribbean are great for families.

May tomorrow be a perfect day - may you find love and laughter along the way...
Cyclospora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 16, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
scarecrow
Imagineer

scarecrow's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 9
I have done 1 DCL cruise and three Carnival cruises all fir 7 nights or more.

I can wholeheartedly recommend Carnival for families. Lots of different eating places, great kids clubs, Dr Suess on their newer ships. Just avoid the shorter cruises at Spring break, that's where the party atmosphere comes from.

Carnival limit passengers to 15 drinks per day under their drinks package.

This year I went on their newest ship the Vista which is now in Miami. They have special cabins for families called family harbour rooms, which looked great.

Have a read of the sticky that I wrote a while ago.

If you utube gailjen my friend has compiled a few videos of their newest ships that we have both sailed on. The Breeze, Vista and Sunshine.

My favourite ship of three was the Breeze.
1990. - somewhere on the 192,2006 - Country Inn and Suites LBK, 2007- LA and San Diego, 2008 - Regal Palms, 2009 - OKW, 2010- Yacht Club, 2011- DCL Magic - Med,2012 - Yacht Club, 2013 - Carnival Sunshine Med cruise, 2014 Carnival Breeze and the Yacht Club

Photo app trip reports Carnival Med Cruise and VA & BA UC & Club indexhttp://http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/reporter-index.php?userid=19933

Pre cruise Med http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...d+cruise+mouse
scarecrow is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 17, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
6jonesss
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Next Christmas our children will be 15 nearly 13,9 & 6. Thanks
6jonesss is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 17, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
scarecrow
Imagineer

scarecrow's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 9
Sweeney people ask me about cruise lines I tend to try and compare the cruise lines to Disney hotels.
Moderate disney hotel think, Carnival, NCL, RCL, MSC

Delux hotel, Princess, celebrity, Holland America

Grand Floridian Seaborne, Crystal

You will get more mature passengers on Holland, Seaborne etc, with very few kids.

The others will be a good mixture especially during school hols.

Also consider your dining experience. All of the lines with the exception of NCL have formal nights, some are very formal, Princess, Cekebrity P&O Hoolahd, think tux, long gown/cocktail.

Carnival have formal, but not as many tux's /gowns. More suit and ties for the men.

Some cruise lines you have to share a table with fellow passengers which we hate and you have set dining times.

NCL and Carnival for sure have free time dining, not sure about the others.

For us, I usually choose the ports I would like to see rather than the ship first. But I do tend to go for newer larger ships rather than smaller ones if I can.
1990. - somewhere on the 192,2006 - Country Inn and Suites LBK, 2007- LA and San Diego, 2008 - Regal Palms, 2009 - OKW, 2010- Yacht Club, 2011- DCL Magic - Med,2012 - Yacht Club, 2013 - Carnival Sunshine Med cruise, 2014 Carnival Breeze and the Yacht Club

Photo app trip reports Carnival Med Cruise and VA & BA UC & Club indexhttp://http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/reporter-index.php?userid=19933

Pre cruise Med http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...d+cruise+mouse
scarecrow is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 17, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
Sweeney people ask me about cruise lines I tend to try and compare the cruise lines to Disney hotels.

Also consider your dining experience. All of the lines with the exception of NCL have formal nights, some are very formal, Princess, Cekebrity P&O Hoolahd, think tux, long gown/cocktail.

Carnival have formal, but not as many tux's /gowns. More suit and ties for the men.

We have only been on 2 cruises, both DCL to Bahamas and Alaska. This year we are doing a 7 night Western Caribbean cruise with Celebrity as DCL came in too expensive for DS and his girlfriend and as we are not fans of dressing up we are delighted that Celebrity have ditched formal nights in favour of 'Evening Chic'

Get chic. Be sophisticated. Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities are being introduced, and Evening Chic attire is replacing Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

An excellent compromise I think

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 17, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Pootle
Very Serious Dibber

Pootle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post

Delux hotel, Princess, celebrity, Holland America

Celebrity no longer have formal nights as such, they have renamed them 'evening chic' and basically it seems to be whatever you consider to be appropriate - men no longer need jackets or ties for example, and 'designer' jeans would be fine - as would tux, kilt etc. if you so choose.

Even on Princess a year ago, our (elderly) table companions informed us they would not be dressing up! No one minded at all.

Some cruise lines you have to share a table with fellow passengers which we hate and you have set dining times.

NCL and Carnival for sure have free time dining, not sure about the others.
Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Princess all have the option to choose flexible dining - so turn up when you wish to eat and request a table just for your party if you wish - but they all give their schemes different names.

To add to the above, Disney is the only cruise line I have been on with our grandchildren, but last summer on a Celebrity Med cruise, the children seemed to be having (supervised) fun around the ship. However, these were younger than teens.