Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 21 Aug 16, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Triple Treat Tour July 2016 Day 7 Part 2 Bye Bye DC, Hello Orlando

Earlier today is HERE

It had been a real shame that we hadn’t been able to get on a White House Tour and that it takes so long to hear back that it hadn’t left us much time to book other things

We missed the Visitor Centre as by now it was almost midday and we were starving – and it was another sweltering hot day so food was more important than reading stuff, for the teens for sure.

We would definitely spend time at the visitor centre at the White House and at Capitol Hill when we return

We walked to the left of the White House to make our way to Founding Farmers.

I had hoped we could have lunch here but not knowing what time we would be finished sightseeing, had no reservation.

It was a 90 minute wait for a table a midday.

Which was too long.

There wasn't a huge amount of choice so we ended up with an unexpected Mexican fast food lunch about 5 minute walk away , just as well as a Hangry episode was definitely on the cards.

There was a split choice between chicken quesadilla and chicken taquitos ( like a spring roll but Mexican )

Everyone got a box of tortilla chips and there was a salsa side bar with sauces .

The big refill cups were handy.

The quesadilla was the better choice but they were both good
and cheap !

Unexpectedly different .

We walked around for a little while trying to find the metro but gave up and called a cab.

We retrieved our luggage and set up camp around that holiday necessity known as the charging point

Yes that’s right TWO extension cables , one per hotel room …

We settled in to wait for the cab – probably around 2 hours or so before the shuttle was picking us up

I had a coffee and sickly sticky bun – taking it outside so I could have a crafty kip in the shade

The hotel was by now completely rammed so it’s a good job we had staked out our spot and plugged ourselves in, sucking the life out of the lobby wifi

Andy had been told the shuttles went to the basement level ( didn’t know there was one until this point)

we (as in I) were a a bit dubious but absolutely on the dot at 2.50 , the shuttle arrived and we loaded up for the 20 minute trip to the airport.

Even if I say so myself, I excelled on the photos on the way there

I know, outstanding …

Seriously, can anyone take decent taxi pics !

These weren’t too bad

We arrived at 3.15. Here

Cases all weighed in and boarding passes sorted .

Which was good because about 5 minutes after arriving, this happened

Tanked it down, thank goodness the cases were already in the dry.

Interestingly – as an aside.

We had one case opened by the TSA with the lock put inside the case when we arrived in NYC.

We had a different case checked from DC to Orlando with the lock re closed but we knew it had been opened as there was a note inside

And another case checked and the lock discarded from MCO to LHR

Never had a case opened before, then 3 in one trip

Each time we had a TSA note left in there but cos we cubed it, cases were hardly disturbed at all !

What a nice place Reagan Airport is

Edited at 07:35 PM.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 16, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

We sat landside for an hour with the boys chasing down pokemons

What an airport view !

We will be off on one of these

Cutest . Dog. Ever

Still took some getting used to – pets at airports

We then decided to go through security – there was no queue

Nick was told he had pre clearance so could go through an express channel.

How does that happen – we have been several times in the last few years, he hasn’t been since 2012 and he gets pre cleared !

We were a bit nervous as it meant we were separated from him but he breezed through

We did not

Billy Bitcoin was spared the works this time as his younger brother had not heeded the no washbag warning and we couldn’t understand why our bags were not coming through – there was just a big pile up and lots of officers.

Nightmare

Then a very nice lady fishes out offending washbag and proceeds to bin all the contents except the toothbrush

Be fair to say some loud and quite prolonged ribbing and scolding took place

One of the party wasn’t very happy as we walked to the foodcourt –

some scowling may have occurred

But it soon passed and everything was just replaced at Walmart the next day.

The thought of the daily cheeseburger soon restored harmony

$14 for bacon cheeseburger and wedge fries at Fuddruckers

$8 for my lemon and sugar pancake

The foodcourt area was really nice, lots of variety

Andy had a kabob pitta – but didn’t take a pic, tsk tsk

A few last photos and we are boarding around 5.30

The seats are nice and we were surprised to find there were complimentary snacks and drinks as well

Was very pleased not to be sat several rows ahead when the cabin crew opened the overhead locker and a whole 24 pack of water fell on a lady’s head

Eesh, that would have hurt

You could see the panic in their faces – litigation likelihood !

She was pretty cool though, good for her

She must have had a hell of a headache though

Anyhoo.

Fantastic view on take off

We had some drinks and snacks and it didn’t seem that long until we were nearing Orlando – we could tell as we were in a spectacular lightning storm, not that I got any pics, but trust me , it was impressive

And a tad scary, all that bumping about and lightning around the aircraft

Not so great for a nervous flyer

WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 16, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

We still landed on time at 7.45 and Andy hotfooted it off to get the car, with us both remembering to be in the right terminal this time,.

There was no queue apparently , no hard sell although missed the tank of petrol scam so it cost us a fortune for that initial tank. Grrr.

The boys came with me to get the cases.

So nice not having that immigration malarkey here

Blurry little train of happiness

After thinking one of these might be ours

I remembered that we had the cling ons with us so we would be in the SUV aisle

Our first choice was this

But it proved not large enough for the cases

So we switched to this

Which just about managed – but of course we will be coming back with two more ..

As we pulled away a bit of the door interior frame fell off and we realised the radio wasn’t working so as we got to the exit, Andy pointed it out to the lady and she said we could swop to a larger vehicle

Woo Hoo

Kids were thrilled at car re pack number three

An hour and three cars later we are on our way

Loadsaroom

We had the usual strop leaving the airport when the sat nav isn’t working and the driver realises he cant see out the mirrors or work out where the lights are but we all know it’s a stressful time so just look out the window and nod sagely when required.

It was 9pm now so pitch black and a bit later than we expected

We found ourselves on a toll road – thank goodness for that purse of left over coins then eh !

We finally arrive at the villa at 9.40

The bleddy sprinklers are on so it’s a quick dash to avoid a soaking to the door

Armed with the code to get in and

Nothing

Nada

Zilch

No Entry

Not funny Jeff

Very tired

Wet from garden hose down

Cant get in the jeffing door :angry:

Try calling villa management – no answer

Consider sleeping in car if we take cases out when thankfully villa MC call back

And tell us to use code to open key lock box

Err, yeah we would do, but we don’t have that – and nor do they

Out of sheer frustration Andy gets on his knees and tries the door one last time and by some absolute miracle it swings open and he just about topples over and falls in

Stampeding all over him in case it closes we are in faster than a whippet after rabbit pie

No idea what that was all about but MC say they will replace the dodgy lock tomorrow

Its now about 45 minutes since arriving so a bit jaded

I took some crappy snappys just before it got trashed by the boys !

I had asked for this bed to be made up as a double

They aren’t great – I will post some better ones later in the trippy

In my tired and somewhat frazzled state the pics kinda reflected how I felt – fuzzy !

The villa was ok – but not quite what I had expected – it lacked the luxurious finishing touches we have had in other places and I felt a bit meh about it

The boys thought it was great and that I was being picky but things like the bed not being made up ( and we couldn’t get it made up the whole holiday as the trundle didn’t work) just irritated me as I had specifically wanted a place with 4 doubles, not 3 doubles and a single

I took these the next morning

I felt better about it in the morning but not “ ooh its fab” .

Andy shot off to the Winn Dixie at Formosa Gardens to pick up beer, milk, pop, water, biscuits and the all important Danish pastries for breakfast

I unpacked and surveyed the laundry

Nick and Jamie jumped in the pool for a bit and the boys enjoyed spreading themselves around whislt I distributed the packing cubes – job done in about 15 minutes, great.

We fell into bed around 1130.

Had a really fantastic morning in DC, Jet Blue flight was excellent.

Just feeling a little flat though

Hoping that improves with a good nights kip

The next day is HERE

Edited at 08:04 PM.
Old 22 Aug 16, 01:10 AM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Glad you managed to get in but shame you were a bit disappointed. It looks very clean and spacious just a bit dated.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 16, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
JenD1
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Hey you're in Orlando! Some kip and sprinkle of Disney with help. And at least its clean and spacious.
Old 22 Aug 16, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Redrach1903
Disney Dreaming :)

Redrach1903's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Oooh that Mexican lunch looked yummy!

Hurray for Orlando So nice not having immigration woes!

Shame you didn't like the villa that much

xx

xx
Redrach1903 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 16, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
dismamx2
VIP Dibber

Great but tiring day I'm sure. Can I ask how did you book the airport flyer? Did you book it online that day? I've read not to pre-book when arriving just go to the desk but I did wonder about getting back.

The villa looks lovely but I can understand the frustration of the small things when they add up.
dismamx2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 16, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Ooh, what a shame you weren't keen on the villa

So great to finally be in Orlando though! Great luck with the car upgrade too
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 16, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Jesslydevie1
Very Serious Dibber

Oh I feel for you , we have had a couple of meh places but after a day or two we always feel better !
Old 24 Aug 16, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by dixonsontour View Post
Glad you managed to get in but shame you were a bit disappointed. It looks very clean and spacious just a bit dated.
That's a really great way to describe it, yes I think dated sums it up. It was big and clean , and I did warm to it after a couple of days !

Originally Posted by JenD1 View Post
Hey you're in Orlando! Some kip and sprinkle of Disney with help. And at least its clean and spacious.
Yes, that's the spirit, some sunshine, Wesh news and Danish pastries soon did th trick

Originally Posted by Redrach1903 View Post
Oooh that Mexican lunch looked yummy!

Hurray for Orlando So nice not having immigration woes!

Shame you didn't like the villa that much

xx

xx
It is nice arriving on a domestic flight, so much less stressful. The villa grew on me .. And I was being picky

Originally Posted by dismamx2 View Post
Great but tiring day I'm sure. Can I ask how did you book the airport flyer? Did you book it online that day? I've read not to pre-book when arriving just go to the desk but I did wonder about getting back.

The villa looks lovely but I can understand the frustration of the small things when they add up.
We booked the flyer on line through their website at 10 am for a 2.50 pm pick up that same afternoon. It was excellent. I think being tired and the door malarkey jaded my view a bit. I was more rational the next day !

Originally Posted by abiknox View Post
Ooh, what a shame you weren't keen on the villa

So great to finally be in Orlando though! Great luck with the car upgrade too
Yeah, it grew on me. But the place in Westhaven a few years ago was definitely more " luxurious" . We did do well on the car. The kids could spread out and we didn't have to put any of them on the roof in order to get all the cases in on the way home , always a bonus

Originally Posted by Jesslydevie1 View Post
Oh I feel for you , we have had a couple of meh places but after a day or two we always feel better !
Yes , that was me , it was definitely good, just not fab !