Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 15 Aug 16, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by moosha View Post
Loving this report as I always do, Amanda. As you know we've been to NYC a few times (five times in the last five years ) so it's lovely to read about your adventures .

I nodded my head along with much of today's report; there's always loads of construction in Manhattan. On our first couple of trips there was a running joke that whichever building we were heading to to take a photo of would always have scaffolding over it :angry: .

Times Square is our least favourite part of Manhattan and although we usually stay nearby, we always try and avoid passing through even if it means going out of our way a couple of blocks to do so. It seems to be getting 'worse' in terms of panhandlers and heading back towards its more seedy past which is a shame. I've read an article about that too. It's a shame as it's such a popular tourist trap.

We went to Juniors in Times Square for the first time this year, sat outside and just had some (extortionate ) cheesecake. I thought it was nice but a bit dry. Glad you had an excellent meal there though. Our favourite NYC cheesecake is from Eileen's Special Cheesecake in Little Italy, it's absolutely delicious. They sell mini ones in several different flavours which always works out well for us when we're passing .

We have also done the express train by mistake thing on the subway and had the embarrassment of getting off and have a local laugh at us and shake his head for doing so .

The bags of rubbish on the streets seems to have got worse in the past couple of years . We never noticed it in 2012 but this year and last year I agree, there are lots of smelly rubbish bags lying about waiting to be collected. Not sure if they have had a cut in their waste collection services in the past few years? It definitely seems to be worse over the weekend too, and especially on pubic holidays, which is a shame as lots of people visit for weekends and they're going to end up with a poor impression of the city's cleanliness.

Thanks for sharing, looking forward to more x
Hello, how are you
Have you finished your budget trip trippie yet ? I am waiting to read it like a box set !

I re read the Boot Camp trip before we went and I thought of you as we passed Bryant Park - such a shame that hotel didn't have a room that suited the boys.

The rubbish was bad in that heat - reminded me of Venice of all places as that was very pongy in the summer heat. I don't think I have ever seen London streets look that bad - very unpleasant for residents and tourists . The boys were on full rat alert ( none to be seen though thank goodness)

Times Square reminded us of the walk of Fame in Hollywood, definitely glad we experienced it but not one we would re visit - it was just so crowded too.

And I just didn't eat enough cheesecake or cupcakes at all. I really need to up my game
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 16, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Gosh, what an exhausting day. The USS Intrepid looks really interesting, glad you all enjoyed that. How nice to meet up with Andy's cousin as well.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 16, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
moosha
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Hello, how are you
Have you finished your budget trip trippie yet ? I am waiting to read it like a box set !

I re read the Boot Camp trip before we went and I thought of you as we passed Bryant Park - such a shame that hotel didn't have a room that suited the boys.

The rubbish was bad in that heat - reminded me of Venice of all places as that was very pongy in the summer heat. I don't think I have ever seen London streets look that bad - very unpleasant for residents and tourists . The boys were on full rat alert ( none to be seen though thank goodness)

Times Square reminded us of the walk of Fame in Hollywood, definitely glad we experienced it but not one we would re visit - it was just so crowded too.

And I just didn't eat enough cheesecake or cupcakes at all. I really need to up my game
All good here thanks, enjoying the summer hols and already counting down to Florida next Easter! Ashamed to say I have not yet finished the Budget Trip trippie but I have been cracking on with it lately and only have about a week to do (only?!) Determined to get it finished in the next few weeks so I'll give you a heads up once it's done . I also want to do NYC trip reports for our 2015 and 2016 trips but if I get around to that, they'll be photo reports as I didn't make any notes.

Aah, the beautiful Bryant Park hotel We didn't stay there this year, we stayed down in TriBeCa for a change and missed the hotel and the park so much. Our room this year was tiny, a shuffle around the bed situation. I'd definitely recommend the Bryant Park Hotel if you head back to NYC just the two of you . I have a friend who's out there at the moment and her Facebook photos of Bryant Park are making me v jealous :angry:.

I must admit, I think we've only seen a rat once in New York, on the subway tracks if I remember rightly.

Our diet in New York generally consists of pizza, ice cream and cheesecake... super healthy!
moosha is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 16, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Ahh, I loved the Intrepid, but that is because I am a Concorde nerd and booked us all on the Concorde tour

I enjoyed it!

We also did Juniors where my dh also had something different lol!

We were too stuffed for cheesecake though and said we would go back but never did Another excuse to go back hey?

Shame the weather spoilt your firework plans but sounds like you had a great evening catching up anyway.
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 16, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
Gosh, what an exhausting day. The USS Intrepid looks really interesting, glad you all enjoyed that. How nice to meet up with Andy's cousin as well.
Lynda, you are off again on just a few weeks, eek!

It was an interesting morning. A lot of mechanical stuff though

We had great fun with his cousin and nice that we were able to meet up , best get you ethers are usually the least planned !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 16, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by moosha View Post
All good here thanks, enjoying the summer hols and already counting down to Florida next Easter! Ashamed to say I have not yet finished the Budget Trip trippie but I have been cracking on with it lately and only have about a week to do (only?!) Determined to get it finished in the next few weeks so I'll give you a heads up once it's done . I also want to do NYC trip reports for our 2015 and 2016 trips but if I get around to that, they'll be photo reports as I didn't make any notes.

Aah, the beautiful Bryant Park hotel We didn't stay there this year, we stayed down in TriBeCa for a change and missed the hotel and the park so much. Our room this year was tiny, a shuffle around the bed situation. I'd definitely recommend the Bryant Park Hotel if you head back to NYC just the two of you . I have a friend who's out there at the moment and her Facebook photos of Bryant Park are making me v jealous :angry:.

I must admit, I think we've only seen a rat once in New York, on the subway tracks if I remember rightly.

Our diet in New York generally consists of pizza, ice cream and cheesecake... super healthy!
Ooh , yes, please do the NY photo trippies. Looking forward to the budget trip box set completion Do like the look of Bryant Park. So many more options when not accommodating 3 lanky teens ! We failed dismally on the ice cream front.

Originally Posted by Glee Fan View Post
Ahh, I loved the Intrepid, but that is because I am a Concorde nerd and booked us all on the Concorde tour

I enjoyed it!

We also did Juniors where my dh also had something different lol!

We were too stuffed for cheesecake though and said we would go back but never did Another excuse to go back hey?

Shame the weather spoilt your firework plans but sounds like you had a great evening catching up anyway.
Ah we thought about the tour, maybe if it had just been the two of us. Same with the Shuttle experience . Just didn't think the boys would be that keen.

The cheesecake was very rich. I had originally asked for the shortcake but the server said the cheesecake was better. Will have to go back to compare !
Old 25 Aug 16, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

I can just picture you all wandering around Central Park in the heat - we had a similar situation in Barcelona the other week - kids lagging behind, husband "definitely" knew the way to go...

Shame about the rain but sounds like you had a great evening without going to watch the fireworks.
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 16, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Lovely pictures from the park!

I concur on Junior's burgers being the best.

I think you did the right thing watching the fireworks on TV. We have been in NYC for New Year three times, the first time we watched the ball drop outside and the next two we have watched it on TV and just enjoyed the buzz of being there. Much more civilsed!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 16, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
I can just picture you all wandering around Central Park in the heat - we had a similar situation in Barcelona the other week - kids lagging behind, husband "definitely" knew the way to go...

Shame about the rain but sounds like you had a great evening without going to watch the fireworks.
Oh we were all flagging. Such a shame but you definitely have to know when to cut your losses !

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Lovely pictures from the park!

I concur on Junior's burgers being the best.

I think you did the right thing watching the fireworks on TV. We have been in NYC for New Year three times, the first time we watched the ball drop outside and the next two we have watched it on TV and just enjoyed the buzz of being there. Much more civilsed!
Juniors was probably one of the best of the whole trip. How funny with it being our first place to try!

I'm really not a fan of fireworks. I like them but much prefer the distance view so for me , a wide screen tv was perfect. And especially as it was chucking it down !
Old 4 Sep 16, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
00swan
Imagineer

00swan's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Loving your report - thanks for taking the time

I love walking round NY, but my feet hate it !

* Orlando: 2006/2007/2010/2014/2016/2017/2018/2019
+ new booking Apr/May 2022

* New York/Orlando mix: 2012

* New York: May 2015/Dec 2021
00swan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List