Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 1 Mar 21, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

I'm not sure how viable it is from Brighton, but we sometimes drive closer to London and park getting the train for the last bit, once you're within the TfL system fares are much cheaper. We're near Basingstoke and driving to Richmond and parking works out much cheaper than getting the train from our village. I moved from Brighton 20 years ago though and I didn't drive when I lived there so I'm not sure what the options are.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We stayed in Eastbourne once and it’s not far from Brighton. It’s worth going there to go up to Beachy Head. Really serene and defo worth it if you like Quadrophenia.
We also went to greyhound racing. Not sure if it would be on but it was fun.
Old 3 Mar 21, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

The marina is a nice afternoon for food and was easy parking. The pier is also a nice few hours. The lanes are also nice. In fact everything in Brighton is nice for a few days.
Great memories for me. I took Norman tebbits advice ( tho hated Tories) and got on my bike to brighton in the 80s to work on security on the pier. Brilliant 2 summers working there plus all the great clubs zap club top rank. Great days great people great weather.

Edited at 09:50 PM.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by myaquarium View Post
Brilliant 2 summers working there plus all the great clubs zap club top rank. Great days great people great weather.
Blimey - the Zap and Top Rank - that's showing your age!

OP - I live close to Brighton and spend a lot of time there. Train fares out of Brighton are artificially expensive - I'm not entirely sure why.

You can get one-way adult tickets from Hove, which is next door for £5 during the day (generally from around 8:15am) on weekdays and the same coming back after 7:00pm.

So, you could buy a return to Hove from Brighton, which would be about £3, and jump on a London train from there. Or you could walk to Hove station (maybe a bit of a hike depending on where you are staying) or even drive there, although parking can be tricky.

In fact I've just checked Hove to London return in May for 2 adults and 1 child and you can pay either £11.25 or even as low as £6.45 return - and that's for all three of you.

Tickets are only released around 12 weeks in advance, so you wouldn't be able to book yet for August.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 21, 12:29 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
We stayed at the Holiday Inn on the seafront 2 years ago. It was ok but just ok.

It was a very shabby hotel that was in need of refurbishment. The location is good. Right by i360. The carpark was under the hotel and quite hard to navigate it was on a steep slope and there were lots of pillars around the bays. It was a little tense trying to get in and out.

We were only there for two days. I’m not sure if there’s enough to do for 7 unless you are happy on the beach all day.

We went to the pier, To Choccuwooydoodah, Brighton pavilion. The lanes. We had fish and chips on the seafront.

It was ok for two days but I wasn’t inspired to go back.

We had just got off a cruise so possibly this affected our opinion.

Edited at 12:31 AM.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 21, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Donz1979
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Blimey - the Zap and Top Rank - that's showing your age!

OP - I live close to Brighton and spend a lot of time there. Train fares out of Brighton are artificially expensive - I'm not entirely sure why.

You can get one-way adult tickets from Hove, which is next door for £5 during the day (generally from around 8:15am) on weekdays and the same coming back after 7:00pm.

So, you could buy a return to Hove from Brighton, which would be about £3, and jump on a London train from there. Or you could walk to Hove station (maybe a bit of a hike depending on where you are staying) or even drive there, although parking can be tricky.

In fact I've just checked Hove to London return in May for 2 adults and 1 child and you can pay either £11.25 or even as low as £6.45 return - and that's for all three of you.

Tickets are only released around 12 weeks in advance, so you wouldn't be able to book yet for August.
Thanks thats great I will look at that option. We are staying at Holiday Inn on Seafront. Think its just said Hove station is 7mins walk.

Edited at 08:04 AM.
Donz1979 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 21, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
We stayed at the Holiday Inn on the seafront 2 years ago. It was ok but just ok.

It was a very shabby hotel that was in need of refurbishment. The location is good. Right by i360. The carpark was under the hotel and quite hard to navigate it was on a steep slope and there were lots of pillars around the bays. It was a little tense trying to get in and out.

We were only there for two days. I’m not sure if there’s enough to do for 7 unless you are happy on the beach all day.

We went to the pier, To Choccuwooydoodah, Brighton pavilion. The lanes. We had fish and chips on the seafront.

It was ok for two days but I wasn’t inspired to go back.

We had just got off a cruise so possibly this affected our opinion.
Brighton is an amazing place but it's small and if you're not there for the "night time economy" and, with kids, you're likely not, then you may struggle slightly to fill time in the town exclusively.

However, as a base to explore Sussex and, as indicated above, jumping on a quick train to London, there is a lot on offer. Many places have been mentioned above by others, but quickly...

Arundel for the Wetland Centre and the stunning castle.

Littlehampton for crabbing, a sandy beach and dunes and Harbour Park rides and amusements.

Drusillas zoo

The stunning South Downs with Devils Dyke nearby.

Hastings for lots of 1066 historical interest.

Fossiling at many places such as Eastbourne or Bracklesham Bay.

Fishbourne Roman Palace for more history.

I could go on and on!

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 21, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
We always have a meal in JB's American Diner when visiting Brighton.
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 21, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 53
DD was at uni in Brighton and there are (were?) lots of independent restaurants as well as a few chains. You can eat out very well in Brighton. Hoping that they all managed to survive the pandemic. Some of our favourites include the Giggling Squid, JB’s American Diner, Pom Poko and our favourite fish restaurant the Regency. For unusual ice cream flavours try Boho Gelato.
Floridafan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List