Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Jul 19, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
birdiesX4
Imagineer

Phone or internet sockets

DD has just bought a Victorian terrace house and we are in the process of sorting it out for her.
We have found these phone and BT sockets but have no clue what any of them are for or which we should be using. She hasn't sorted broadband yet as she isnt anywhere near moving in. Its still at the new bathroom carpets decorating stage.
Any advice or help would be great as there is wiring running over doorways and skirting boards. They did have a camera over the cot in the room at the back and some wire does look like it runs up from the kitchen into that room but its not visible on that bedroom. The one with the filter is near the hall door in the lounge, the socket with something else attached is in the main bedroom and the single one saying Master socket is in the lounge but a different wall to the phone socket.

Edited at 10:56 PM.
birdiesX4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

They are all where you can plug your phone extensions in,. The middle one is for phone & broadband.
Old 29 Jul 19, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

The bottom one looks like the adaptor Sky used to send out for multi room TVs
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
birdiesX4
Imagineer

Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
They are all where you can plug your phone extensions in,. The middle one is for phone & broadband.
So which one does she plug her router into?
birdiesX4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 19, 01:19 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

The master socket where the line comes into the house.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 19, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

from looking at the cabling and not the sockets...

photo 1: this is the master socket
Photo 2: this looks like an extension that they have persuaded an openreach engineer to leave a box for and put the master socket cover over
photo 3: this is an extension with a microfilter

depending on where your DD wants to plug in her phone/broadband take the cover off the socket and plug it into the box on photo 1, this will be the best to use for the broadband as there will be less noise internally and so you should get a (slightly) faster/more stable connection
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 19, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I would be having a quiet hour crawling around with a pair of pliers and a box to put the staples in. I would be ripping all that cable out and slinging it.

We bought our house in 1986 and a disabled old Lady had lived here. Every room had at least 3 phones and there was cable everywhere!

Cut the lot out and BT did a rewire but all under the floorboards.

Of course nowadays none of us need extension sockets anyhow as phones just plug into the power sockets.

Finally I would take off the original oval socket and wire the Master Socket direct to where the cable enters the room. Easy to do and you can get a cheap plastic tool to push the cables into the grips.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 09:58 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 19, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
birdiesX4
Imagineer

Originally Posted by coggie View Post
The bottom one looks like the adaptor Sky used to send out for multi room TVs
The bottom has a filter left by the previous owners which they used for their sky router. The owner said he plugged his router into that but after all the things he has done in that house which we have found to be unsafe or just totally ridiculous we don't know if he knows anything at all. The wiring is driving DH mad, he hates anything like that and at our house everything is hidden. I have to decorate this next week and it is causing a pain.
Old 30 Jul 19, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Nice painting of the socket in photo No 3.

Some people have no idea do they.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 19, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
birdiesX4
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I would be having a quiet hour crawling around with a pair of pliers and a box to put the staples in. I would be ripping all that cable out and slinging it.

We bought our house in 1986 and a disabled old Lady had lived here. Every room had at least 3 phones and there was cable everywhere!

Cut the lot out and BT did a rewire but all under the floorboards.

Of course nowadays none of us need extension sockets anyhow as phones just plug into the power sockets.

Finally I would take off the original oval socket and wire the Master Socket direct to where the cable enters the room. Easy to do and you can get a cheap plastic tool to push the cables into the grips.
When you say the original oval socket do you mean the one in the first picture? I have never seen one like that before.