Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 23 Feb 21, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Charlangela
Imagineer

Disney DAS Pass

So we've just found out that one of our party is Type 1 Diabetic (aged 19)

We are due to go next May so are hoping she will have a good grip on it by the time we go, however she will not have experienced Diabetes along with injecting insulin and managing blood sugars in Floridian heat combined with the excessive queue times we may encounter.

Is this a valid reason for us to get the DAS pass. I would hate for us to be queuing 3 hours for Flight of Passage and have to leave the queue because of an issue? Obviously if queues are shorter we won't use it.
Pre Trip Report| Trip Report

Charlangela is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 21, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Jo
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Charlangela View Post

We are due to go next May so are hoping she will have a good grip on it by the time we go, however she will not have experienced Diabetes along with injecting insulin and managing blood sugars in Floridian heat combined with the excessive queue times we may encounter.

Is this a valid reason for us to get the DAS pass. I would hate for us to be queuing 3 hours for Flight of Passage and have to leave the queue because of an issue? Obviously if queues are shorter we won't use it.
All you can do is ask, no one will know whether it is or not and only the person requesting it will know how and why they need the DAS.

The good thing about it is that if the wait time for flight of passage is 3 hours, your party will get a return time for around 2hours 50 minutes time. You are only allowed one return time at a time if that makes sense. It helps though because you can sit and have a drink or something to eat etc, or go on another ride (but will need to queue).

We have one for our daughter and would highly recommend (if it is returned by then) to make full use of the fastpasses, it is by far the best option and then you have the DAS as well as a back up.
August 2018 - Villa at Oak Island Community
December 2021 - Art of Animation Cars Suite
Disney Jo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 21, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Jo
Imagineer

Forgot to say that the DAS pass will only be for the person who needs it plus 5 others - this was the rule when we went in 2018 anyway, which was ok for us as we was not travelling or visiting with a large group.

Also the person who the DAS is assigned to has to ride the ride you want but anyone can go to the ride to ask for the DAS pass. On entry at your return time the person with the DAS scans in first and then the rest of the party scans in after them.
Disney Jo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 21, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Charlangela
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disney Jo View Post
All you can do is ask, no one will know whether it is or not and only the person requesting it will know how and why they need the DAS.

The good thing about it is that if the wait time for flight of passage is 3 hours, your party will get a return time for around 2hours 50 minutes time. You are only allowed one return time at a time if that makes sense. It helps though because you can sit and have a drink or something to eat etc, or go on another ride (but will need to queue).

We have one for our daughter and would highly recommend (if it is returned by then) to make full use of the fastpasses, it is by far the best option and then you have the DAS as well as a back up.
Thank you, yes I hope to utilize fast passes but with staying off site we can only do 30 days in advance which I think will leave us with the least popular rides to book unless we are lucky.

Yes the one return at a time does make sense, it's only fair that you wait as long as everyone else just that you don't have to actually queue for that one ride.

Thanks

Charlangela is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 21, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

There is a Special Needs Forum on the DIBB and it can be found by clicking the DIBB FORUMS in blue at the top of the pages. It might be worth a look through as someone may have already posted something similar and even if there isn't you might find some good ideas. Hope it is useful for you.
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 21, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Jo
Imagineer

Thank you, yes I hope to utilize fast passes but with staying off site we can only do 30 days in advance which I think will leave us with the least popular rides to book unless we are lucky.

Yes the one return at a time does make sense, it's only fair that you wait as long as everyone else just that you don't have to actually queue for that one ride.

Thanks
Completely agree, it really does help.

Hopefully it will also stop any stresses and the member of your family/group can relax more knowing that she has other options. I have an illness where I often have attacks as I call them - one minute absolutely fine and the next full vertigo spins which can cause me to just drop on the floor. It is hard not knowing when it will happen but knowing that we have another option does help.
Old 23 Feb 21, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
spurs444
Animal Kingdom Lodge Guest

I got myself wound up over the prospect of getting a DAS pass for our daughter.

I just said i wanted to see if it were possible and was ready with 101 reasons why we needed it - It was so easy - in and out in 5 mins with no questions what so ever regarding her condition.
Quick photo taken on an i pad and we were on our way.

Don't know if they still do it but when we went there was Blue umbrella locations in all the parks that you could obtain a return time for any ride which also was a huge help as you did not have to trek across the parks to each ride to get a return time.
spurs444 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 21, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Jo
Imagineer

Originally Posted by spurs444 View Post
I got myself wound up over the prospect of getting a DAS pass for our daughter.

I just said i wanted to see if it were possible and was ready with 101 reasons why we needed it - It was so easy - in and out in 5 mins with no questions what so ever regarding her condition.
Quick photo taken on an i pad and we were on our way.

Don't know if they still do it but when we went there was Blue umbrella locations in all the parks that you could obtain a return time for any ride which also was a huge help as you did not have to trek across the parks to each ride to get a return time.
I haven't been since they introduced the umbrellas, that should help loads if they still have them.
Old 23 Feb 21, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Charlangela
Imagineer

Thank you. She's just said that at the moment she is having to inject and carry a sharps bin so no talk of a pump or anything yet. This could change within the next 14 months but how are Disney with needing to use needles on site? So many questions!

Old 23 Feb 21, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Jo
Imagineer

Thank you. She's just said that at the moment she is having to inject and carry a sharps bin so no talk of a pump or anything yet. This could change within the next 14 months but how are Disney with needing to use needles on site? So many questions!
This might be a question for the Special Needs forum unless someone might spot it on here.