Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 25 Feb 21, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Nannad
Apprentice Imagineer

Wow, you have done a lot, makes me feel quite lazy, we go to the indoor sport area and do the badminton, the usual swimming, bowling and walking in the forest. We take a big puzzle with us to, and everyone does a bit during the week, just about complete it before we go home.We had hoped to do a lot more with our dgs 5 and dgd 3 this year, but it was cancelled. So we might book for next year depending on prices.
Nannad is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 21, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nannad View Post
Wow, you have done a lot, makes me feel quite lazy, we go to the indoor sport area and do the badminton, the usual swimming, bowling and walking in the forest. We take a big puzzle with us to, and everyone does a bit during the week, just about complete it before we go home.We had hoped to do a lot more with our dgs 5 and dgd 3 this year, but it was cancelled. So we might book for next year depending on prices.
haha - just one or 2 per trip though. We have been going to Longleat since 2001.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 21, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
jenna288
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
We like Adventure golf, table-tennis and pool/snooker (all the ones that often don't need booking) as well as the indoor swimming pool stuff for our regular activities and the "kids" still like the big adventure playgrounds and sitting in the lodge watching the wildlife.

We see it as a way to try the different activities out to see if we would like them, so try something new each time. A few of the ones we have done have age restrictions though sometimes there is an alternative that under 10s can do.

One year I did the silk painting craft activity, was fantastic fun and have a wall hanging to show for it.
Archery was fun and laser clay shooting - they set us in teams against each other and that brought out a lot of competitive behaviour!.
Last time we went we tried the electric powered boats and went off across the lake on a sunny day - we will do that again.
We did a nature walk where the guy told us all about the best places to see the wildlife and all about the different fungus we came across - that was very early in the morning, so not sure if we'd do it again, but it was great at the time.
The best one ever was the birds of prey/falconry activity, a guy from a bird centre came and spoke to us for about an hour. It was stunning. We were introduced to some fantastic birds inside - we all got to hold them in turn, then we went outside and "flew" the birds making them go right past our ears in flight and coming to land on a glove. Loved it and have visited a centre since. I think your kids are too young for the full on session, but they do introductory ones for younger families too.

We did a treasure hunt type thing too, not realising it was over the whole hilly Longleat site! We were shattered and slept well that night. Will NOT be doing that again!

Last time at Longleat we did the Escape room... it was hard! We did not escape. But it was great fun.

Once we spent an hour or so just sat on the land-train on a quiet sunny day - saw the whole site and different activity centres.

So we have tried a few...
All sounds brilliant - My eldest DD loves the archery. I was looking at the birds of prey activities so will defintely give that one a try. My youngest DD loved crazy science and making bird houses. This will be our 4th time at CP and I want to try a few different things because I tend to go with what we know because we had such a great time but I know most things there are brilliant.
WDW and Universal August 2022
NY and WDW March 2024
jenna288 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 21, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

We go to Elveden and Hucks, Bella Italia and Pancake House are always must visits for us

And pottery painting is always one of my fave activities... so relaxing (I leave our toddler with the OH so I can have an hour of peace!)

Edited at 02:52 PM.
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 21, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
jenna288
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lisa_Lollipop View Post
We go to Elveden and Hucks, Bella Italia and Pancake House are always must visits for us

And pottery painting is always one of my fave activities... so relaxing (I leave our toddler with the OH so I can have an hour of peace!)
My DD was just saying she wanted to paint pottery (it's going to o be her birthday while we re there so asked her what sort of thing she wanted to do that day). Definitely going to try Huck's this time!
NY and WDW March 2024
jenna288 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 21, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsmickey
Very Serious Dibber

I’m a bit non plussed about hucks, the food seems to come out a bit too quick for me as if it’s been sitting around waiting. I like the on site pub style places, at Elveden which we go to the most it’s Foresters and the sports cafes are a bit of a surprise gem (especially when they are doing the stuffed sandwiches!). I love CP but I do wish they would try to do a bit more with the food options, it just feels a bit high street even though they try to glamorise the options and it would be nice to have a decent quality restaurant
mrsmickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 21, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
We like Adventure golf, table-tennis and pool/snooker (all the ones that often don't need booking) as well as the indoor swimming pool stuff for our regular activities and the "kids" still like the big adventure playgrounds and sitting in the lodge watching the wildlife.

We see it as a way to try the different activities out to see if we would like them, so try something new each time. A few of the ones we have done have age restrictions though sometimes there is an alternative that under 10s can do.

One year I did the silk painting craft activity, was fantastic fun and have a wall hanging to show for it.
Archery was fun and laser clay shooting - they set us in teams against each other and that brought out a lot of competitive behaviour!.
Last time we went we tried the electric powered boats and went off across the lake on a sunny day - we will do that again.
We did a nature walk where the guy told us all about the best places to see the wildlife and all about the different fungus we came across - that was very early in the morning, so not sure if we'd do it again, but it was great at the time.
The best one ever was the birds of prey/falconry activity, a guy from a bird centre came and spoke to us for about an hour. It was stunning. We were introduced to some fantastic birds inside - we all got to hold them in turn, then we went outside and "flew" the birds making them go right past our ears in flight and coming to land on a glove. Loved it and have visited a centre since. I think your kids are too young for the full on session, but they do introductory ones for younger families too.

We did a treasure hunt type thing too, not realising it was over the whole hilly Longleat site! We were shattered and slept well that night. Will NOT be doing that again!

Last time at Longleat we did the Escape room... it was hard! We did not escape. But it was great fun.

Once we spent an hour or so just sat on the land-train on a quiet sunny day - saw the whole site and different activity centres.

So we have tried a few...
Your post has bought back so many memories of our first trip a few years ago to Elveden. I remember DS then 11 was so upset their team lost the lazar gun fight, he wanted to go to a gun range in Vegas when we went to make sure he never lost again! I loved the electric boats and the blueberry lemonade in Hucks
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 21, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Nannad
Apprentice Imagineer

Yes, I had the blueberry lemonade, it was lovely 😊
Nannad is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 21, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

We go to Whinfell. Last time my fav was the Sports Bar and went a couple of times. DD loved Cafe Rouge.

We usually try the Indian and switch between Hucks or Bella Italia and Cafe Rouge. The pub wasn't great but think it was for younger families because of the play area.

Mine love the water based activities or climbing. DD love caving last time as she was finally old enough to do it without an adult. They do stuff without us so we can have a coffee in peace.

We're booked for end of May. Just hope it goes ahead.

Edited at 11:16 PM.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 21, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
jenna288
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
We go to Whinfell. Last time my fav was the Sports Bar and went a couple of times. DD loved Cafe Rouge.

We usually try the Indian and switch between Hucks or Bella Italia and Cafe Rouge. The pub wasn't great but think it was for younger families because of the play area.

Mine love the water based activities or climbing. DD love facing last time as she was finally old enough to do it without an adult. They do stuff without us so we can have a coffee in peace.

We're booked for end of May. Just hope it goes ahead.
We went last year a week after they reopened and it was great. I would think end of May you'd be fine. I had the email from them this week saying they are reopening 12th April. Think I'm going with Hucks, cafe rouge, bella italia and maybe sports bar.

Also going to try laser combat. It's a bit expensive but something we'll all enjoy (and then some other stuff the kids can do so we can get that coffee in peace!)
NY and WDW March 2024