Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Mar 21, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Evil queen
Imagineer

LA, San Diego and Hawaii

Hi all, I know there’s some really experienced west coast travellers here and I’m after whatever advice you can give!
We are toying with the idea of visiting in 2023 so I’m really in the very early stages of information finding.
We would like to visit Disneyland and universal- is it feasible to visit both of these places with the same hotel base or is it better to have a few days close to each? How many days at each would you suggest? It will be 2 adults and 2 teens if that helps. We’d also like to see the classic sights of LA although I’m really aware the not all of LA is perhaps as nice as you’d want it to be. Do you think it’s doable without a car? We usually drive in Florida but every trip report I’ve read that includes LA mentions the traffic so it would be nice to not have to worry about that. Do you think a week is enough time to cover those things?
I thought we could then fly to Hawaii and spend maybe a week there- don’t know which island yet but we would just be going for mainly some r&r and some sights. We’d probably just stick with one island to minimise the travelling.
I then thought we could fly to San Diego and spend a few nights there- probably wouldn’t mange a week as I can’t have that long off work, we could probably do 5 nights if we spent only 6 in LA. Again, no plan to hire a car here as I think that the public transport looks good enough to manage without.
I’d really like to do a road trip along the coast but I think the kids would be less keen on that and are likely to moan and also DH is not keen on narrow bendy roads and I understand that there are some hair raising sections along the coastal roads so that might have to wait for another time.
So in short, does that seem vaguely reasonable? What would you change? Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!
Evil queen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 21, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Daisychick
Excited about Disney

We've never done Hawaii so can't help with that.

We've been to LA twice but had a car both times. Got to say the traffic wasn't that bad I didn't think but then OH is a very confident (some might say too confident!) driver and we didn't hit too many of the freeways at peak times.

We used Santa Monica as a base for our LA part of the trip. From here we went to Hollywood, Long Beach, LA old town, Malibu, Santa Barbara. The time we went to Disney we stayed 2 nights in Anaheim as we were on route to San Diego.

We did use public transport but only from our hotel down to the pier. It was fine but I aren't sure what it would be like to go longer distances.

We spent 5 nights in San Diego and loved it. We took the tram to Tijuana, Mexico. We spent a lot longer than we expected on the USS Midway, we went to Kansas City Grill (film location used in Top Gun), San Diego Old Town, Gaslamp Quarter etc, boat trip in the harbour. All by public transport or on foot.

We also went to Coronado, Mission Beach and La Jolla but those were by car.

I don't know if any of that helps, there's so much to do in those locations I didn't want to start rambling!

If you've any more questions I'll try to help.
Daisychick is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 21, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebecca_
slightly serious Dibber

We had planned a trip to LA for September 2021 but have decided to go September 2022 now - I'm also considering adding a week in Aulani afterwards but still unsure. My OH can't drive and I'm not keen about driving over there so we won't be hiring a car.

Our plan is to spend 4 or 5 nights in Anaheim for Disneyland then move to Hollywood for 3 nights for Universal, WB Studio Tour, Walk of Fame etc. Then it's either Vegas for a week or Hawaii for a week. I've never been to Universal Hollywood before but I believe it's definitely doable in a day. We're giving ourselves 4 days for Disneyland which I think is plenty, you could do it in 2 or 3 days if needed.

Years ago when I was a teenager I went to LA with my sister - we didn't drive and stayed in Anaheim the whole time. We bought a 2 day pass for the hop on/hop off bus tours. At the time this was handy for us, but I think I'll prefer just doing a split stay.
Old 13 Mar 21, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Evil queen
Imagineer

Thanks for the input, I find it quite hard to visualise the distances etc from maps- much easier to speak to people who have been and can give a bit of perspective. The other alternative is to visit a more beachy/relaxed area in California and give Hawaii a miss as obviously it takes a fair chunk of travelling time.
I really like the look of San Diego, it looks fairly chilled but with plenty to keep us busy.
We would be visiting in July/August so presume the weather would be ok?
If I have more specific questions I’ll give you a shout Daisychick- I’m sure I will when I’ve pinned things down a bit more. Your time/location split in LA seems a good plan Rebecca. I’d better get looking at some hotels!
Evil queen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 21, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

How much time do you have in total? You have very sensibly identified that it takes a whole day basically to travel to Hawaii (and back again). We’ve been a couple of times and it is an absolutely amazing place but it does add cost, time and jetlag to a trip!

San Diego and the area around there has some wonderful beaches. We really liked San Diego and many on here recommend as long as possible there.
Old 13 Mar 21, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Daisychick
Excited about Disney

July and August should be fine for the weather I presume. We went the first 2 weeks of September and from LA southwards it was very warm bordering on hot, but not unbearable or humid.

Obviously I can't comment on the difference between Hawaii and spending more time in the beach areas in California, since I haven't been to Hawaii. And no doubt Hawaii aficionados might be along to say there is no comparison.

What I will say is that we saw some lovely beaches along the way. In the LA area I particularly like Santa Monica - the pier, the beach itself, 3rd street promenade and the atmosphere. The seafront promenade past Muscle Beach / Venice Beach. Some areas of the US I find a bit quiet and sterile on an evening but Santa Monica had a buzz about it (as does San Diego).

There were also some good beaches just north of San Diego. We liked Mission Beach with its little amusement park and seafront promenade plus a walk by the side of the bay / lagoon.

I think you could probably find a beach along the coast between LA and San Diego which would fit with your needs, if you decide the journey to Hawaii isn't worth the additional travel time.
Daisychick is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 21, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Evil queen
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
How much time do you have in total? You have very sensibly identified that it takes a whole day basically to travel to Hawaii (and back again). We’ve been a couple of times and it is an absolutely amazing place but it does add cost, time and jetlag to a trip!

San Diego and the area around there has some wonderful beaches. We really liked San Diego and many on here recommend as long as possible there.
I think we’d probably have 17/18 nights depending on what we can negotiate with work.
Old 13 Mar 21, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Buzz242
Very Serious Dibber

We’ve had several trips to LA, Disneyland and San Diego but can’t help with Hawaii sorry. The first trip we based ourselves in Anaheim and drove to LA, Universal, Santa Monica etc, this wasted a lot of time as we were sat in traffic. On subsequent trips we have stayed in Glendale or Burbank for the LA sightseeing etc then moved to Anaheim purely for Disney. The drive to San Diego is very easy, lots of beaches to stop at on the way if you wish. We didn’t find the driving particularly difficult but it can be busy.
Buzz242 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 21, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Evil queen
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Buzz242 View Post
We’ve had several trips to LA, Disneyland and San Diego but can’t help with Hawaii sorry. The first trip we based ourselves in Anaheim and drove to LA, Universal, Santa Monica etc, this wasted a lot of time as we were sat in traffic. On subsequent trips we have stayed in Glendale or Burbank for the LA sightseeing etc then moved to Anaheim purely for Disney. The drive to San Diego is very easy, lots of beaches to stop at on the way if you wish. We didn’t find the driving particularly difficult but it can be busy.
That’s very helpful, thanks. It looks as though 2 hotels is the way to go for the Disney/universal/general sightseeing in LA part of the trip.
Old 13 Mar 21, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Again, I can’t help with Hawaii.. I simply wish that I could, but it remains on my bucket list!

Driving. I drove in LA, round the back on the I5 from the Simi Valley- Valencia- Anaheim and then on to San Diego. It was horrible, slow moving , congested and with typical unhelpful big city motorists who even though we were only doing 5 mph, would prevent you at times from changing lanes. Having said that, I much preferred this to the 80mph maniacs on the Miami bypass who drive bumper to bumper. I never at any time felt unsafe. It is worth remembering when you are 3 lanes in on an 8 lane each way carriageway and wanting to go straight on, you may find yourself having to leave the interstate as only 5 of the lanes are crossing the flyover and you are in one of the 3 ‘off’ lanes. I found the issue was to leave sufficient time to make a journey. 10 miles might take more than an hour.
I also drove round the front from Long Beach to Santa Monica and later, on to LAX. Again it was rather congested, but perfectly ok if you are used to rush hour on the I4.
I would separate accommodation at Disney and Universal, enjoying the two centres, rather than worrying about driving between the two. Whilst I have visited Disney, Universal must wait until this August.

San Diego was astonishing and a jewel in the crown of California. The only US city that I have enjoyed so much was Boston. It is prosperous, spacious, pleasant and beautiful... as well as a little pricey. I would happily live there. We were there 5 days and apart from our accommodation choice, absolutely loved the place. There was no ‘big city rush’, loads of top gun echoes and simply loads to do whilst having time to do it.

In my signature is a trip report on what I have covered, one thread and as a story, rather than one day one thread. It may well be of assistance.. unless you are looking for a food fest.

Hope it helps, Mrs E Queen.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 03:16 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List