Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 1 Apr 21, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
AhoyShipmates
Excited about Disney

London advice

We’re doing the Harry Potter tour and have decided to have a couple of nights in London beforehand. We’ll be seeing family and friends who all live in Clapham and Brixton, but want to stay in a central hotel so we can do some touristy things as well.

Can anyone recommend a hotel or area in easy reach of the Victoria and Northern lines?

Also what do you recommend we do with our son, 10? We may visit some Potter locations and I was thinking the Tower of London as he likes Gangsta Granny. He’s very active and isn’t a big fan of museums or galleries but there may be some interactive museums that would appeal?

Has anyone taken the boat to Hampton Court?

Thanks in advance!
AhoyShipmates is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 21, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Wherever you are in London, you're likely to use the tube. As you mentioned Brixton, I absolutely love the Premier Inn there - its cheap and located great for the tube, and there's a great vibe there, loads of interesting places to eat and a nice cinema very close by. If not, I would do Premier Inn maybe Tower Bridge or Leicester Sq. However, I'm cheap but you can't beat their prices and they are always spotless with a good quality breakfast too.

Depending on what your son is into, mine have enjoyed The London Dungeon, Mme Tussauds, The Eye, The Clink (jail museum), Imperial War Museum, walking tours - take in Buck Palace, Trafalgar Sq, Westminster etc. Chinatown is good for a wander too and a cheap lunch!
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 21, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
DFussy
Very Serious Dibber

if it is open you might like this if you are looking at hp sights

minalima/

not far from cursed child theatre, i took my dd there and we loved looking at the pictures and picked up a few lower value souveniers too (fantastic beasts poster for her room and wanted picture post cards). there are lots of lovely things for a bigger budget than we had.

another non hp thing we have done that you might enjoy is skygarden at fenchurch street
DFussy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 21, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
jim jehosofat
Imagineer

From memory its about 3 hours from Westminster Pier to Hampton Court by boat. I'd imagine a 10 year old would get bored very quickly!
jim jehosofat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 21, 06:08 AM  
Link to this Post
di5ney
Being a bit Goofy

We stayed in a travelodge at waterloo in october and we visited harry potter studios. We also went to the sealife aquarium, madame tussauds & london eye. My dd is 6. She also enjoyed the lego store & m&m store too.
di5ney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 21, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Although you say hes not into museums, the natural history museum is great for kids and its free
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 21, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Mine loved the tube, Westminster Station with its space age, high tech look was a highlight, and as they got older and into action films, they see it in the films and say "we've been there"... same with the Millenium bridge and Harry Potter etc

And Hamleys... always Hamleys...
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 21, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Oh yes, and don’t forget King’s Cross platform 9 3/4 for a free photo opportunity!
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 21, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

It’d be cheaper to stay at the Brixton Premier Inn and hop on the tube for the touristy bits which is really quick. Brixton is very vibrant and you won’t get ripped off eating out there either.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 21, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jim jehosofat View Post
From memory its about 3 hours from Westminster Pier to Hampton Court by boat. I'd imagine a 10 year old would get bored very quickly!
We came to the same conclusion so got the train from Waterloo to Kingston , got the boat from there to Hampton Court and then took the train back from Hampton Court to Waterloo.
Best of both worlds.
Another time we drove to Kingston parked there and got the boat and had the choice to either boat it back or hop on the train.
Hampton Court looks amazing arriving by boat . It’s one of my favourite places to take visitors.

Edited at 10:59 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List