Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 7 Apr 21, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
figment05
Very Serious Dibber

I think you are trying to do too much. You also need to consider that sunset will be around 5pm in Palm Springs at that time of the year.
As for traffic the last time we drove from palm springs to san Diego it took about 8 hours as the roads where closed due wild fires.
Personally I would just do Palm springs and book a hotel near palm canyon drive so you can walk to one of the many lovely restaurants.
figment05 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 21, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Continued

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Whilst I do not know Palm Springs, I have visited Oceanside (pier, beach and the Kelly McGillis top gun house). The visitor centre there is also a pick up point for ‘Gosandiego’ tickets that would be very convenient should you wish to kill two birds with one stone.

La Jolla is also a good one, near to San Diego and with Scripps Aquarium, Kayaking and other stuff (free with a Gosandiego card if you have earlier stopped at Oceanside as just a flying visit).

Another possibility, depending on your family interests is Carlsbad Legoland, also free on a Gosandiego and south of the Oceanside pick up point.

All of the above are on the I5, that runs very close to Disneyland Anaheim and are therefore easily navigable with little detour as you head towards San Diego. What can go wrong?

There are no shortage of options.. and that is before ‘Aims’ and ‘MEGAFLIER’ put in their, much more experienced options.
Just to wet your appetite, this was taken around half a mile from the Mexico border and just a few miles from Downtown San Diego. As said, options are unlimited in this wonderful area. Mandie loved this horseriding experience.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 21, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by nickyjw View Post
Thankyou all, we are travelling in the Christmas holidays and the day we leave Anaheim to travel to Palm Springs falls on Monday 3rd Jan. I’m wondering if it would be better to drive from Anaheim direct to San Diego that day and just stop at the Tramway / Palm Springs for lunch etc and forget Joshua Tree? We wouldn’t have any travelling then the next day?
At that time the mountain pass (and indeed Joshua ) may be effected by snow - its very high and they do get huge dumps (certainly did last few winters ) so factor that in. Any traffic will be heading to LA not from. It so that should make the drive much faster once away from LA . I dont think you will need to pre-book anything on 3rd - it will be spectacular at the Tram (and will def have loads of snow up there yet be in the 70’s around Palm SPrings) -it s a truly wonderful time to visit seeing Christmas decorations in the warm sunshine - alfresco luck in Palm Springs will be wonderful and let me know what sort of restaurant you like and I am happy to recommend a few to have a look at (and who knows I may be there and swing by (sorry dont want to put you off visiting lol))
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 21, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
nickyjw
Apprentice Imagineer

Lots of great suggestion thankyou everyone. We are very much looking forward to our time in San Diego especially. Our daughters will be 20, 18 and 16 when we travel.
Anyone have any idea of what temperatures are like in Dec/January?
nickyjw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 21, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
nickyjw
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
At that time the mountain pass (and indeed Joshua ) may be effected by snow - its very high and they do get huge dumps (certainly did last few winters ) so factor that in. Any traffic will be heading to LA not from. It so that should make the drive much faster once away from LA . I dont think you will need to pre-book anything on 3rd - it will be spectacular at the Tram (and will def have loads of snow up there yet be in the 70’s around Palm SPrings) -it s a truly wonderful time to visit seeing Christmas decorations in the warm sunshine - alfresco luck in Palm Springs will be wonderful and let me know what sort of restaurant you like and I am happy to recommend a few to have a look at (and who knows I may be there and swing by (sorry dont want to put you off visiting lol))
So you don’t think I’ll need to book the tram then?
Oh don’t worry, you won’t put us off!
Just keeping out fingers crossed we will be able to travel by then anyway. Like so many people we’ve cancelled so many different trips.
nickyjw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 21, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

So you don’t think I’ll need to book the tram then?
Oh don’t worry, you won’t put us off!
Just keeping out fingers crossed we will be able to travel by then anyway. Like so many people we’ve cancelled so many different trips.
Palm Springs will be deserted as most leave 1st or 2nd - up to you if you pre-book it but I honestly think you can do it on the da or the day before . The 3rd is a Monday - a very quiet day. You wont need to prebook lunch or the tram (in my opinion) but you may wish to just Incase . The 1st and 2nd will be rammed and no hotel rooms left already as people form LA & San Diego swarm there for the holidays - warmer climate and much more walkable than with LA or SD
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 21, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Lots of great suggestion thankyou everyone. We are very much looking forward to our time in San Diego especially. Our daughters will be 20, 18 and 16 when we travel.
Anyone have any idea of what temperatures are like in Dec/January?
LA - low 60’s and probably rain, PS high 60/low to mid 70’s and warm & dray (it may rain but unlikely - certainly shorts weather day and night) but you will see locals in full length furs in PS !
Old 7 Apr 21, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
nickyjw
Apprentice Imagineer

Great to know it will be quiet on the 3rd. I expect Disneyland will be very busy for New Years Eve and the days we are there. Looking forward to seeing the Christmas decorations everywhere.
Old 7 Apr 21, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Great to know it will be quiet on the 3rd. I expect Disneyland will be very busy for New Years Eve and the days we are there. Looking forward to seeing the Christmas decorations everywhere.
Disney will be rammed - we couldn’t get in over last holiday periods (year 19/20) as park was full and only accepting prebookings or CA residents ( who always get priority) so book early (I guess it will be open in some form by then ?)
Old 7 Apr 21, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Disney will be rammed - we couldn’t get in over last holiday periods (year 19/20) as park was full and only accepting prebookings or CA residents ( who always get priority) so book early (I guess it will be open in some form by then ?)
PS The Ducks usually play at home over that period so hotels and parks get booked out very quickly . Top Tip go and see the Ducks - great team and stadium (was (is?) owned by Disney as next to park bit now hived off) - I try and get a Ducks game or 2 in very trip