Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Apr 21, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Annie17
Very Serious Dibber

some advice on where to stay please

hi all

we are newbies to west coast and after a few peices of advice on where to stay

we would like to do

DisneyLand
Knotts Berry Farm
Six Flags Magic Mountain
A Beach
Warner Bros tour
Grittith Observatory
A zoo and maybe a state park

we dont minding changing accomodations but we would prefer a suite or condo as we are a family of 8.

we will have around 12 nights

where would you stay?

thanks in advance

Wdw 2013,2016,2018,2019

Engaged 04/09/18 in Magic Kingdom.
Annie17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 21, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I would stay in two locations if not driving and in your group, 3 if you are having a car and might consider your last few days in San Diego before flying out of there.

2 stops... I would stay in a Hotel very near to Anaheim (Disney and Knotts) and one very close to Universal Studios (Universal and Warner bros).

On my last day, I would move down to Santa Monica early in the morning and have a look at beach and pier before embarking on a Hollywood tour from there. On completion, you are just 7 miles from LAX, where it is usual to fly out in the evening.

The obvious State Park is I guess, the Joshua Tree, but I have no doubt that the extremely LA experienced MEGAFLIER will pop up dreckly and give far better advice than I can. There is also another very similar thread current on this section of the forum, that is worth reading.

The California trippie and my pre trip (links to both in my signature) may be of good assistance.

3 stops.. If you decide to go South to San Diego (wonderful) for a few days, then ‘AIMS’ is the oracle. She has a stickie at the top of this forum section and her knowledge as you head south is encyclopaedic. You might even prefer this to going into the desert.

Hope that helps.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 07:59 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 21, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Annie17
Very Serious Dibber

thank you so much for your quick reply

we will have a car and dont mind driving a little but but i have heard horror stories about LA traffic

i did look at san diego, is that far out?

definatley going for a disney hotel close to anaheim, but was after a base for WB Tour and Grittith Obsevatory

xx

Wdw 2013,2016,2018,2019

Annie17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 21, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Annie17 View Post
thank you so much for your quick reply

we will have a car and dont mind driving a little but but i have heard horror stories about LA traffic

i did look at san diego, is that far out?

definatley going for a disney hotel close to anaheim, but was after a base for WB Tour and Grittith Obsevatory

xx
San Diego is 95 miles away from Anaheim and quoted as 1hr30, so if you were looking at it, then I would suggest LAX- Universal- Anaheim- San Diego- home from there in a nice, big loop, possibly doing Santa Monica first (MEGAFLIER will give better advice)... or the other way round and finishing at Santa Monica for your last day. You can pick up your Gosandiego tickets at Oceanside on the way down, if you are a Topgun fan and want to see the beach hut where Tom Cruise seduced Kelly Magillis. Again, detail in my trip report will explain why I am such a fan of San Diego and also what you can do there.

Traffic in LA is very heavy and generally slow moving. The times when it may be busiest are obvious and can be largely avoided with careful planning.. hence just 2 locations and no car or 3 with a move South. I am not a great driver, but never felt in danger, just very frustrated. It is what it is.

For Warner Bros, it is walkable (just) from Universal Studios. I am doing both this summer and will be staying at the Hilton Universal as it is right on the city walk.. or whatever it is called. I like Margaritaville! The Griffiths is, I believe nearby.

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 08:25 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 21, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

There are lots of parks (state and otherwise ) from Griffin Observatory although not a state park it is stunning and you’d an get to see cougar !) to Mojave park and reserve in Victorville. Pasadena it is like walking round in a park as its filled with stunning gardens (many open to the public and art. Plus laid back affluent So Cal society I crave

Any particular questions please ask away

Edited at 08:31 PM.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 21, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

A different beach option, easy drive from Anaheim is Huntington Beach (my then young teens were mega into Hollister and this is where the beach camera they play on the outside of the shops is based).

Just in case you wanted the beach day from your Disneyland stay.
Old 6 Apr 21, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
There are lots of parks (state and otherwise ) from Griffin Observatory although not a state park it is stunning and you’d an get to see cougar !) to Mojave park and reserve in Victorville. Pluss it is like walking round in a park as its filled with stunning gardens (many open to the public and art. Plus laid back affluent So Cal society I crave

Any particular questions please ask away
I simply knew that you would pop up!... and now ‘Aims’ also!

Edited at 09:15 PM.
Old 6 Apr 21, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I simply knew that you would pop up!
He always does

😽 MF xx
Old 6 Apr 21, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Annie17
Very Serious Dibber

thank you so much for all your replies

definatley looking at the

LAX
Universal
Anaheim
San Diego option

Is Six Flags close to Universal?

In regards to the park, we are really into walking and taking in the senery so would like somewhere that looks nice

I do really appreciate all your replies

Wdw 2013,2016,2018,2019

Old 6 Apr 21, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Annie17 View Post
thank you so much for all your replies

definatley looking at the

LAX
Universal
Anaheim
San Diego option

Is Six Flags close to Universal?

In regards to the park, we are really into walking and taking in the senery so would like somewhere that looks nice

I do really appreciate all your replies
6 flags is in Valencia, I guess around 25 miles from Universal. We stayed a night before as we were on a driving holiday at the Hilton Gardens app 1 miles walk away. It is very much like Thorpe Park, huge coasters and not so much theming. My boys loved it.

Edited at 09:13 PM.