Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Jun 19, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile Confused - doubting myself now

Just been watching a Florida vlog - travel day. Someone who lived there and goes a lot.
Flown from Manchester to MCO and she said it appears to have changed and that she thinks a new terminal has been built. Because when they went through customs they collected their bags and then went on the monorail - she said that the bags are usually collected AFTER the monorail in the building where you collect cars/transport etc.
We have been going every year since my dd was about 6 (2004) and as far back as I can remember we have always done that. Bag collection is right after customs isn’t it? From what I am thinking you can (or could) then “give them back” and they are then taken to the main building and collect them there or you can take them with you on the monorail. But because she is vlogger I’m doubting myself and thinking I remember it wrong. 🤔
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 19, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
choccielover
Imagineer

Mobile

Is she talking about the second bag drop?
choccielover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 19, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Bag collection is after immigration and before customs, then you get the monorail.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 19, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post

It depends on whether you need to go through immigration. Flights from the UK go through immigration and pick up bags straight after. Indirect flights via the US or airports with pre clearance don’t collect luggage until you’re in the main terminal.

Edit: I’m guessing that she normally flies indirect with a US airline but this time picked BA or Virgin.

Edited at 09:46 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 19, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
She may have been talking about domestic arrivals which are different to arriving as an international passenger at gate 70-99 on side B.

The arrangement has changed a little in the last couple of years though.

Automated passport kiosks have gone and you go straight to the immigration officer. Then baggage carousel. No separate customs officer now. Route from baggage hall has changed a little in last 12 months. Instead of going straight ahead to the monorail you now walk to the left along a corridor to a lift and escalator up to the monorail.

You can still do courtesy baggage transfer if you like.

They are building anew terminal C about a mile away but that was still a sea of tower cranes in April.

Mick
Old 22 Jun 19, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

No she did Manchester to MCO same flight that we do. She said you used to pick up your bags AFTER the monorail so in the main building. She said usually one of them waits for bags while the other arranges/collects the car - but as far as I remember we have always collected our cases straight after customs onto the monorail to the main building and then found transport.
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 19, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Ellelledee View Post
No she did Manchester to MCO same flight that we do. She said you used to pick up your bags AFTER the monorail so in the main building. She said usually one of them waits for bags while the other arranges/collects the car - but as far as I remember we have always collected our cases straight after customs onto the monorail to the main building and then found transport.
The only way she could have done that is to have done the courtesy baggage transfer. You put your cases on another belt before going up to the monorail. You go on monorail without cases.

At the central concourse with VS you go over to side A and collect from near the VS desk
Old 22 Jun 19, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

we've always collected our bags after immigration and before going on the monorail so much fun trying to juggle cases kids and stroller up the escalator
You could do the 2nd bag drop thing where your bags get sent over to the other side where transportation is but I have heard its prone to delays so we've never bothered
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 12:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

We got off our flight from NY and got lost for a bit then our bags were at the doors after the monorail beside the taxi doors. please don't stress or worry your bags will be there.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 02:18 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Ellelledee View Post
I think you are both confused. You do not collect your bags after customs anywhere in the world, you must have your bags with you to go through customs. You collect your bags immediately after immigration, not customs. Immigration is about people, customs is about baggage.

You collect baggage before the monorail at MCO, you might opt to put it on baggage transfer in which case you collect it again after the monorail, this is what your sister is thinking about.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List