Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 2 Jul 19, 12:36 AM  
Link to this Post
fingerssl
Proud to wear my Ears

Prescription Painkillers

My partner has recently been prescribed Co-codamol 8/500 for occasional back pain. I’ve been unable to find a definitive answer but is this ok to take into the USA. is there an over the counter alternative available over there?

We’re not first timers so know all the rules regarding original packaging and repeat slips etc. Although for the Co-codamol there is no repeat at the moment.
fingerssl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 12:56 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Prior to being prescribed codeine we used to carry OTC effervescent co-codamol. You are unable to purchase an alternative in the US as codeine is strictly prescription only. The Publix pharmacist we spoke with was shocked when I explained co-codamol is OTC in the UK.

You should be ok to carry hubs co-codamol in hand luggage, I`m prescribed codeine and hubs Tramadol, to date we`ve had no issues carrying both.

Have a great holiday 😁
Old 2 Jul 19, 01:00 AM  
Link to this Post
uktigg
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by fingerssl View Post
My partner has recently been prescribed Co-codamol 8/500 for occasional back pain. I’ve been unable to find a definitive answer but is this ok to take into the USA. is there an over the counter alternative available over there?

We’re not first timers so know all the rules regarding original packaging and repeat slips etc. Although for the Co-codamol there is no repeat at the moment.
Codene is presciption only in the US.

I took CoCodamol 8/500's bought over the counter here last time i went with no difficulty. I did, however, have them in my hold luggage.

As long as you have the original packaging with your name on it, or a copy of your prescription, there should not be a problem.
My partner took 30/500's also without an issue (obviously on prescription)
Old 2 Jul 19, 06:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Mobile

I take prescribed 30/500 cocodamol on a regular basis for lymphoedema pain and took those with me last year without any problems. I took them in their original packaging plus a print out of all my prescription meds.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 06:31 AM  
Link to this Post
metalguru
Apprentice Imagineer

metalguru's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I take 30/500 cocodamol and just have the prescription and the original packaging with pharmacy on it. Wife takes dihydrocodeine with all the documentation for the last 20 odd years had no probs.
metalguru is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Lemmonie
Excited about Disney

i take tham everywhere too and put them in the hold along with any others meds(tramadol and injectable imigran) I keep a little stash in hand luggage in case i need them during flight. Ive never taken a perscription with me or needed it.
Lemmonie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I appreciate that many have taken prescription drugs away with them in the hold but really you should have them in your hand luggage with a prescription. Not just in case they go missing from your case but also if not OTC then they are controlled drugs. Given the current situation with opiode abuse in the US it would be best to be as transparent as possible rather than risk your holiday (or liberty)
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Fancealot
Getting Excited

I take co-codamol 30/500 and don't usually take my prescription with me, i usually take a couple of strips of the tablets for whilst i'm out there in my hand luggage, on my first day i'll go to a walgreens and do a 'drug shop' i've found that whilst most OTC medications in the UK won't help with my headaches/migraines the similar stuff in the US can help so I buy the bulk packs (200 tablet packs) to take home. Now this stuff is close to anadin extra but the formulation is different enough my body isn't used to it (been migraine sufferer since childhood and taken painkillers for many years) and I haven't adapted to the medication which means less co-codamol and that is always a good thing!

Edited at 10:59 AM.
Fancealot is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Billy Beatnik
Imagineer

As others have said we’ve taken co codomol, tramadol, gabapentin etc with no issues. However, be careful where you store them in your hotel as I’ve had packs of them stolen in the past. Apparently many meds are very expensive in the USA.
Billy Beatnik is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
geniefan
Excited about Disney

hi

just wanted to give my advice.

I have to carry tramadol tablets due to an illness and was worried about what would happen. but firstly, my medication did not get noticed on any bag checks into the park. and at the airport, no one had reason to look in my bag.

but I took them in the box they came in, and also a fresh printed off 'repeat prescription' paperwork from my doctors just in case someone should ask.