Notices

Old 5 Aug 18, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
Just a quick update - back now (unfortunately) and travelling home.

The whole trip has been amazing, really has been one of our best holidays. Hard to pick favourites and hilights as each place was different and brilliant in its own way.

The Rockies where just breathtaking, photos don’t and cannot do it justice and I feel lucky to have seen it with my own eyes and witnessed how stunning they are.

Vancouver a great city, we chilled for a few days before coming home and enjoyed it’s laid back feel. Victoria a beautiful place, whale watching a definite highlight and having the chance to see an orca pod in the wild a privilege.

Whistler we loved. Getting up in the mountains and walking, taking in the views as well as rafting on the river. Just a great place and we could of spent longer here, as we could most places.

Calgary Stampede, we were sorry that jet lag stopped us staying the distance as we landed in Canada on its final night but felt we needed to go with the opportunity being there. It was amazing and so glad we went even if just for a few hours.

I love Canada, this trip has confirmed and reminded me why this place is so great. I’d happily up sticks and move there in a shot but for now I’ll be writing the blog, sharing what we’ve been up to and hopefully for anyone planning or thinking of going share a bit of why this place should be on everyone’s bucket list.
Glad you had a good trip, we leave for Banff on Thursday, so will be watching out for your trip pie! Thanks for your tips so far😉
Old 5 Aug 18, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
MarionG
Imagineer

Glad you had a great time. We went in 2008 and loved it. Hard to describe how beautiful the scenery is. If funds allowed we would return in a heartbeat..
MarionG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 12:04 AM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
Just a quick update - back now (unfortunately) and travelling home.

The whole trip has been amazing, really has been one of our best holidays. Hard to pick favourites and hilights as each place was different and brilliant in its own way.

The Rockies where just breathtaking, photos don’t and cannot do it justice and I feel lucky to have seen it with my own eyes and witnessed how stunning they are.

Vancouver a great city, we chilled for a few days before coming home and enjoyed it’s laid back feel. Victoria a beautiful place, whale watching a definite highlight and having the chance to see an orca pod in the wild a privilege.

Whistler we loved. Getting up in the mountains and walking, taking in the views as well as rafting on the river. Just a great place and we could of spent longer here, as we could most places.

Calgary Stampede, we were sorry that jet lag stopped us staying the distance as we landed in Canada on its final night but felt we needed to go with the opportunity being there. It was amazing and so glad we went even if just for a few hours.

I love Canada, this trip has confirmed and reminded me why this place is so great. I’d happily up sticks and move there in a shot but for now I’ll be writing the blog, sharing what we’ve been up to and hopefully for anyone planning or thinking of going share a bit of why this place should be on everyone’s bucket list.
Glad you’re home safely and had a great time. We are on our last few days now. Have the next 2 nights left in Banff and then we move to Calgary for our final 2 nights.

It sounds like you’ve been a bit more active than we have! Looking forward to your trippie to hear more about it.

One last question - have you taken as many photographs of mountains as I have?

Edited at 02:15 AM.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 05:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
Glad you’re home safely and had a great time. We are on our last few days now. Have the next 2 nights left in Banff and then we move to Calgary for our final 2 nights.

It sounds like you’ve been a bit more active than we have! Looking forward to your trippie to hear more about it.

I’ve taken so many picture of mountains, lakes, scenery. I’d been posting them online to my Facebook - ours mums and a few of my friends like to see them - and I was up at over 780 that I’d shared😳 hard to describe how breathtaking it really is. We’d be surprised how you could turn a corner and there was something totally unexpected but just stunning.

Enjoy your last few days away and I’ll look forward to hearing about your travels too once you’re home.

Edited at 08:01 PM.
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Hope you are enjoying Banff, we arrive on Thursday Any tips so far?
Old 6 Aug 18, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by parisdisneyfan View Post
Hope you are enjoying Banff, we arrive on Thursday Any tips so far?
Hi Julia,

It’ll be lovely to spend such a long time using Banff as a base. Get used to photographing lots of mountains and lakes - one photo is never enough!

When you’re up early for the time difference, get to Moraine Lake early before they shut the road. Either that or go later in the evening (we went at about 5:15 pm and got lucky as they were just opening the road again, although they did shut it again shortly afterwards). I absolutely loved it there. If you follow the path behind the rock pile, you can get up to some lookouts there - the height seems to really make the colours of the lake more spectacular. It wasn’t very busy there at that time either, which made it more enjoyable.

I think the colours of Moraine Lake have been my favourite, but Lake Louise, Emerald Lake and Peyto Lake have all been stunning too. We’re not big hikers, but have enjoyed lakeside trails at both Lake Louise and Emerald Lake.

One of the favourite things we’ve enjoyed is the Maligne Lake cruise to Spirit Island, but not sure if you’re going that far. We also did the Lake Minnewanka boat trip, and while there was nothing wrong with it, I did prefer the other one. Perhaps if I hadn’t have done the Maligne Lake one first, I may have felt differently.

We’ve found the GyPSy apps bundle for the Canadian Rockies well worth the £14.99 it cost us, but the best one of the four was the Icefields Parkway one - you can buy it separately rather than in the bundle with Lake Louise, Jasper and Banff apps if you’d rather. It lets you know all the places to stop along the way, and works on GPS, so doesn’t cost any of your data - not that you’ll have phone signal along there anyway.

Make sure you’ve got layers - the weather can change very quickly. It was 5 degrees when we left the hotel this morning, but got up to 27 degrees this afternoon. Showers can appear very suddenly too, so my umbrella was always in the rucksack along with a hoodie.

I’m sure there’s more, but I’ll add to this post when I think of things.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 18, 06:46 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Hi Julia,

It’ll be lovely to spend such a long time using Banff as a base. Get used to photographing lots of mountains and lakes - one photo is never enough!

When you’re up early for the time difference, get to Moraine Lake early before they shut the road. Either that or go later in the evening (we went at about 5:15 pm and got lucky as they were just opening the road again, although they did shut it again shortly afterwards). I absolutely loved it there. If you follow the path behind the rock pile, you can get up to some lookouts there - the height seems to really make the colours of the lake more spectacular. It wasn’t very busy there at that time either, which made it more enjoyable.

I think the colours of Moraine Lake have been my favourite, but Lake Louise, Emerald Lake and Peyto Lake have all been stunning too. We’re not big hikers, but have enjoyed lakeside trails at both Lake Louise and Emerald Lake.

One of the favourite things we’ve enjoyed is the Maligne Lake cruise to Spirit Island, but not sure if you’re going that far. We also did the Lake Minnewanka boat trip, and while there was nothing wrong with it, I did prefer the other one. Perhaps if I hadn’t have done the Maligne Lake one first, I may have felt differently.

We’ve found the GyPSy apps bundle for the Canadian Rockies well worth the £14.99 it cost us, but the best one of the four was the Icefields Parkway one - you can buy it separately rather than in the bundle with Lake Louise, Jasper and Banff apps if you’d rather. It lets you know all the places to stop along the way, and works on GPS, so doesn’t cost any of your data - not that you’ll have phone signal along there anyway.

Make sure you’ve got layers - the weather can change very quickly. It was 5 degrees when we left the hotel this morning, but got up to 27 degrees this afternoon. Showers can appear very suddenly too, so my umbrella was always in the rucksack along with a hoodie.

I’m sure there’s more, but I’ll add to this post when I think of things.
Thank you so much for all that info Jo Good to know about the signal as dh reckons on using google maps! Have seen something called Navmii as well as the GyPsy stuff. Really not sure how much we are doing apart from the Glacier, although dh has now added possibly Edmonton Air Show!

Good to know about the weather as I wondered if it would be cold in the mornings despite the temps being forecast as high. Was hoping it would be cooler but at least got air con.

Enjoy your last couple of days and safe journey home x
Old 7 Aug 18, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by parisdisneyfan View Post
Thank you so much for all that info Jo Good to know about the signal as dh reckons on using google maps! Have seen something called Navmii as well as the GyPsy stuff. Really not sure how much we are doing apart from the Glacier, although dh has now added possibly Edmonton Air Show!

Good to know about the weather as I wondered if it would be cold in the mornings despite the temps being forecast as high. Was hoping it would be cooler but at least got air con.

Enjoy your last couple of days and safe journey home x
I’ve just asked DH about google maps as he did something with it on my phone. You can log in and go into the settings and there’s something about ‘offline’. He’s telling me he drew a box around the area he wanted to download, and it stays on your device for a month. We’ve been able to use it then, despite having no signal.
Old 8 Aug 18, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
sounds like a fantastic holiday, looking forward to reading more
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List