Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 May 19, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
scojos
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Aldis own is excellent.
I buy banana boat when there cos it smells nice and i have never burnt with it
scojos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 19, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Themousefamily
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We always buy the copper tone aerosols when we get out there - easy to apply and smells so nice. Never burnt but we are outdoorsy Devon people so live in shorts from may onwards 😋
Themousefamily is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 19, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Teach0778
Imagineer

Teach0778's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Always buy the spray Coppertone Sport - and bring some home to use here. Love the spray as it’s so easy to use and sinks in fast.
Old 13 May 19, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Cliftonite
Serious Dibber

We stopped using P20 several years ago as it started to stain our clothes.

Now a convert to Ultrasun Sport (great with the hairy DH) and have never burnt when using it nor had clothes staining.

Have used it in South Africa on safari, Dom Rep and Florida several times and would certainly recommend.

PS DD has sensitive skin and is allergic to Aloe vera and had no issues with it either.

Alison x

2008 AKL & private villa ~~~ 2011 AKL & private villa ~~~ 2013 WL (2 weeks) ~~~ 2018 OKW & Portofino
Cliftonite is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 19, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
sunshines
Apprentice Imagineer

With two pale-skinned gingers amongst us, we purchase quite a bit of sun cream, but these brands haven't all been positive experiences.

This is our US sun screen haul-

Hawaiian Tropic: teen dd fancies a tropical smell, so she chose Hawaiian Tropic. Unfortunately, she practically burns in the shade with it, despite reapplying hourly. I have stopped her using it.

Equate (from Walmart): works well to prevent burning on the younger kids, even in water, but gives two of us a rash so we don’t use it any longer. We two do have some other skin allergies (aloe vera, several shampoos, hair conditioners, hand/body creams, and hand soaps), so we may be sensitive to an ingredient.

Trader Joe’s spray (from Trader Joe obvs): smells good, thin coverage so we still burn despite reapplying hourly

Banana Boat spray: works well, but thin coverage so we still burn despite reapplying hourly

Coppertone Face and Neutrogena Face: works well for our sensitive skin and we get no rash or breakouts with these

Blue Lizard (Australian): works the better than the US sun creams when reapplied hourly

Coppertone Water Babies: works well and smells good enough

**This year, because of our skin sensitivities and our desire to avoid the constant applications of chemicals to skin all over our bodies, we are switching to mineral sunscreens. (I understand Hawaii is also banning the sale and use of chemical sunscreens because of reef damage.) After doing some research, we will purchase before we travel and pack in our checked cases. I’ve read many positive reviews of Badger Organic Sunscreen and Tropic Skincare Sunbalm. We may also try Neutrogena Sheer Zinc. Dd wants to try Australian Gold. I want to avoid nano-particles, which may be too easily absorbed in the skin, and because we will be using a lot of sun cream every day, I want to be careful. I also want to avoid sprays because we don’t get enough coverage with them.
Old 14 May 19, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We purchase the Coppertone spray on our first night in Orlando along with the crispy chicken in Publix.
We've used it for years. I'm very fair skinned and I find it gives great coverage and protection. DS uses the Sports one as does his Dad, it goes on easy on hairy arms and legs. We also buy the Coppertone stick sunscreen for DH's face as he perspires a lot in the Florida heat and finds this is the only one that doesn't wash into his eyes.
I love the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Suncream Factor 50 for my face - I barely get a freckle with it on.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 19, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I always used Piz Buin once daily however this year have become a convert to Ultrasun. It’s expensive but it’s light and non-greasy.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 19, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
bigkid2014
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

I have tried all makes over the years but now I use Ladival - buy it from tkmaxx - it is great for sufferers of prickly heat.

Our Happy Place
bigkid2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 19, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I've been using Banana Boat SPF 50 - it just happened to be one I picked up a few years back and has worked well enough for me that I haven't felt the need to try out other brands. Usually slather it on either before leaving the hotel room in the morning, or in the parks once it gets hot - no need to reapply throughout the day (unless I get wet).
Old 14 May 19, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

100% what lovestoplan posted, but we use Ultrasun Family which is for people who also suffer Prickly Heat & its non fragrance (DH cant have anything fragranced on his skin) Its Factor 30 as 50 can block your pores, hence sweat buildups = prickly heat.
We never shower in the morning but get up n put the Ultrasun on before we do anything else, then make coffee etc b4 dressing to go out. I carry Ultrasun factor 30 lip balm with me to retouch ears, nose cheeks while at the parks too