Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Jun 19, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
*jovi_girl*
Imagineer

Mobile Absolutely fuming

I posted here a few weeks ago gown proud I was of my daughter to have landed herself a job at rudding Park in harrogate for a year.
She was due to start next month and had received a contract from them. She went up for the night a couple of weeks ago to see what it was like.

Now today she has received an email saying that due to the amount of applicants they can no longer offer her the job. I asked if she’d already signed the contract but she had t because they never asked for it yet.

She only had a year til she starts back at uni for her top up and this was sposed to be like a paid placement to go alongside her degree.

Now she’s scrambling around trying to find something else. She’s got an interview tomorrow for a job in aspen but I’m assuming it will take ages to sort a work visa out for her 😭😭😭
*jovi_girl* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Aww no, that sounds really unfair. Sorry can't offer any help but I am sure more clued up Dibbers will be along soon.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ambermark View Post
Oh bless her Not a fair situation at all! Hope your daughter finds something soon. On a good note though if they treat people this way maybe she had a lucky escape to not work there :/
That's a very good point.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Sorry to hear this and it's pretty shoddy treatment.
Re Aspen from my daughter's experience it took around three months to get her J1 work visa with the longest delay being getting an appointment with the US embassy. However there may be a way of reducing these times
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
*jovi_girl*
Imagineer

Mobile

Very true 😭
*jovi_girl* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
*jovi_girl*
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by coggie View Post
Sorry to hear this and it's pretty shoddy treatment.
Re Aspen from my daughter's experience it took around three months to get her J1 work visa with the longest delay being getting an appointment with the US embassy. However there may be a way of reducing these times
Wow 3 months 😭

She’s sposed to be leaving her student accommodation in a month and no idea now what she’s going to do
Old 12 Jun 19, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by *jovi_girl* View Post
I posted here a few weeks ago gown proud I was of my daughter to have landed herself a job at rudding Park in harrogate for a year.
She was due to start next month and had received a contract from them. She went up for the night a couple of weeks ago to see what it was like.

Now today she has received an email saying that due to the amount of applicants they can no longer offer her the job. I asked if she’d already signed the contract but she had t because they never asked for it yet.

She only had a year til she starts back at uni for her top up and this was sposed to be like a paid placement to go alongside her degree.

Now she’s scrambling around trying to find something else. She’s got an interview tomorrow for a job in aspen but I’m assuming it will take ages to sort a work visa out for her 😭😭😭
What they have said doesn't make sense really. They have offered her a job but due to the number of applicants they need to withdraw the job offer? Eh. I could understand them saying, due to the number of applicants we might not be able to provide individual feedback to unsuccessful applicants, but not withdraw an offer.

Very disappointing, I do sometimes wonder if some employers think they don't need to treat newcomers to the workforce as well as other people.

By the way, there is no relevance to whether she signed and returned the written contract. If they made an offer and she accepted, then there was an employment contract. The piece of paper is only evidence of the contract.

What was the notice period in the contract? If she is bold enough, she could ask for her notice period to be paid. I would, but I am 49, well versed in employment matters and don't take nonsense from anybody (the younger me would not have been so bold).
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
*jovi_girl*
Imagineer

Mobile

This is the email she got today.
It says she went up to view the place with the possibility of starting but before that they offered her a job and sent the contract. The visit was very informal and was just a chance for her to look around. She didn’t even have to visit them is she didn’t want to.

Old 12 Jun 19, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by *jovi_girl* View Post
This is the email she got today.
It says she went up to view the place with the possibility of starting but before that they offered her a job and sent the contract. The visit was very informal and was just a chance for her to look around. She didn’t even have to visit them is she didn’t want to.

Odd. How did they offer her the position? Was it a telephone call? Did they discuss start dates, remuneration? Maybe this message was a mass email that she received in error? I would follow up.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
*jovi_girl*
Imagineer

Yes she’s been told what she would be earning (nearly twice as much as me 😂😂😂 ) and that she would start in July. Think she had a specific date cos I remember her telling me there was a few days gap from when she had to move out of student flat and then starting the job.

Not sure if she was offered it by email or over the phone.

She’s just come back from a week in Crete which is probably why they’ve been unable to reach her by phone.

She went with her friend and her friend hasn’t received the same message but they were for 2 different job roles. My daughter was doing front of house stuff and her friend is doing a culinary arts degree so will be working in the kitchens