Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 23 Dec 20, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell12 View Post
Thanks so much Jshadd for this. I've a bit of data nerd so love this stuff.

We're also thinking of becoming first time buyers of DVC so this sort of data is really helpful.

I do have one questions for anyone reading this. I had *thought* that once you owned points you'd be able to stay in the same level of accommodation each year. However I've looking at the Beach Club Villas and the number of points you need goes up from 2021 to 2022, which would suggest this isn't the case. Or am I missing something? ie will the number of points required to stay at a resort continue to increase over the years until you have to buy extra?

thanks from a rookie
The overall points are not meant to go up for a resort, but they can swap and change them between seasons. They also swap and change between accommodation types - more controversial and some think the legality for that is not as good.

They do have a duty to swap the points about to manage demand. A prime example is summer used to be high season, the fall low season years ago. That basically reversed. So they are currently making fall a bit more expensive but summer a bit cheaper for example. They seem to do it incrementally as well, in smaller tweaks here and there.

One exception to all of this was them manufacturing points out of thin air in 2019 in what has been termed lock off premium gate. Essentially they can charge a different nightly points amount for a studio and 1 bed connecting, than they do when they are a 2 bed rented together. I won’t bore you with the details but this gave them the opportunity to increase points overall at some resorts.

This was met with huge uproar, complaints and threats of legal action, and a member on here called Zavandor even did a website. DVC quickly backed down and reversed this. JShadd on here and others are keeping a very close eye on things. It hasn’t happened again this year, but there is now a trust issue for some members.

Due to fluctuations in seasons and room types, it is recommended by many to buy slightly more points than you think you’ll need.

DVC in non covid times is a great product with high levels of customer satisfaction, and many buyers end up adding on. I started with one 160 point contract and now have 4 contracts for example. So the points fluctuations are not as important.