Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 2 Apr 20, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

But surely the op should have waited for contact with Virgin even if it meant waiting on the phone for a few hours.
No where at the time was a refund mentioned if you made your way home under your own steam

I am not sure Virgin are liable on this occasion as the op didn't give them a chance to find alternative flights

That's how I read it anyway
Old 2 Apr 20, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
KRBarnard
Very Serious Dibber

KRBarnard's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

The problem will be that Trump's ban was to stop any new arrivals, he did not kick everyone out of the country. You were already there and choose to come home early (I totally agree with that choice BTW) but you should have either contacted insurance, or held steady and waited for Virgin to get back to you. My in-laws were out there and had to wait it out until United gave them the option for a change of flight. They just sat tight in the villa and waited it out. I hope they'll understand how stressed you must have felt and will refund as a gesture of goodwill, but I'd be surprised
Gateway Inn '97 Radisson Barcelo '99 Quality Inn Plaza '01 Quality Inn Int'l '03 La Quinta Inns&Suites '05 B.W. Movieland '07 Holiday Inn '08 & '09 Indian Creek '10 & '11 Vista Cay '12 Rosen Inn @ Pointe and Miami '13 Vista Cay '13,'14,'15,'16 CBR '16 Tampa, POR & SSR '17 OKW + Vista Cay '18 Windsor Hills '19 Vista Cay'22
KRBarnard is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 20, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
fraser301
Apprentice Imagineer

Yes we received email that our flight was cancelled on the 16 March and to our horror we thought it was the 17 however after many hours on the phone to despatch it was VS76 on the 25 March
fraser301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 20, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
fraser301
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tigger71 View Post
That is a tricky situation - technically speaking you made a separate booking and paid for it without any agreement from either Virgin or your insurance. In such a situation the most likely outcome is they will refund you only for the cancelled flight on the 25th.
Essentially that is totally acceptable we received notification that the 25 flight was cancelled on the 16 the day before we flew back. I am pleased we booked it as already the parks had closed several days prior and we were checking out of POFQ and although we were moving to Gran Destino all the Disney hotels were not taking bookings. We booked the second leg of our holiday through dreams unlimited a USA travel agent and they were just brilliant and received full refund within days.
fraser301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 20, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
parkgirl
VIP Dibber

parkgirl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 14
Ah I get it now..sorry being a bit slow! You should get a payment for the return portion as VAA didn’t provide the alternative (as far a they know you came back a different way)
CSR October 2011, POFQ May 2012, POP July 2012, SSR April 2013, OKW Oct 2014, OKW July 2016, All Stars Music April 2017, OKW/BLT July 2018, All Stars Sports Oct 2019, Riviera May 2022, GFR/AKL Oct 2022, Disney 5K Riviera/copper creek 2024, SSR Aug 2024
parkgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 20, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
fraser301
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by parkgirl View Post
Ah I get it now..sorry being a bit slow! You should get a payment for the return portion as VAA didn’t provide the alternative (as far a they know you came back a different way)
Thank you
Old 3 Apr 20, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Redsnapper
Imagineer

Not sure I agree - you decided to buy your own return flight (its what we would have done also)

Presumably in cancelling your original flight they would have eventually made an alternative arrangement for you at no additional cost - therefore I think maybe you are not entitled to a refund - same way as if you were a "no show" for a flight.
Old 3 Apr 20, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
rsvdaz
Apprentice Imagineer

this is an extract from the email sent to us when they cancelled our return leg:

"We’re sorry to advise your flight VS28 to London Gatwick has been cancelled. This is following travel restrictions imposed by the US Government due to the increased risk of Covid-19. If you are part travelled and away from home please email us your booking details, flight date and contact information to AwayFromHome@fly.virgin.com we will be in contact with rebooking options. For refunds, please visit www.virginatlantic.com"

We persevered and held on the phone to get re-booked by Virgin to me the email reads that your flight has been cancelled (finite -not postponed or re-scheduled) so you have the option to re-book another flight or a refund
rsvdaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 20, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
fraser301
Apprentice Imagineer

Yes agree that Virgin would have eventually got us home but the problem I had no car and no accommodation so it was with great urgency we booked.
Old 4 Apr 20, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
fraser301
Apprentice Imagineer

No we paid for the flight as we had no car or Disney accommodation but received the cancellation notice on the 16 for our 25 flight