Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Jan 20, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
I think I may have not put my point across very well, my point is that Florida is not representative of true American culture just as Blackpool is not British culture. Both areas survive on tourism and have been developed purely for that reason and are do not give a true picture of either country’s culture. I have been to Blackpool twice on both occasions I have seen many groups of stag and hen nights dressed and behaving in a way that Would not be usual in most other towns in the country. My point is that no one goes to Orlando/Kissimmee etc for an insight into another culture they go to go to fairgrounds.
I thought you put the point across clearly. I have no comments to share on taking children out of school. But I would also think it a stretch to go to Disney and claim it is for the children to learn about other countries or cultures.

Nothing snobby about it. We are all on a Disney site and all presumably like Disney and theme parks. I am perfectly happy to admit that my Disney holidays are about theme parks not culture or learning.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
PhillySpecial
New Poster (3)

Mobile

Thank you all for sharing your opinions on this. As per my first post I wasn’t asking if you think I should take them out in term time more interested in your experience had you done it yourself.

Nollypat- Totally agree, it’s not ideal, we do take education for granted. I think based on what people have said we will ask the teachers what they’ll be missing and get them to focus on that. I hope you and your family have a wonderful time next month

Sew109 - Thanks for all your points, il stress again that we won’t be suggesting to the school it’s for cultural/educational reasons, I only stated we had heard people use it as a reason. I won’t ask the teachers to create anything for our children but I will ask what they’ll likely miss and focus on that with them, the two older girls will want to do that anyway it’s in their nature.
Yes we are going for 14nights, and we know it will be impossible to experience everything. But we have a very good plan of action including day trips outside of the Disney/universal bubble. The NASA centre is high on our list of places to see. The eldest is almost as excited to see that as she is to go to Disney!

ClaireNJ - Thank you, our girls are very smart, and il do exactly what you’ve said with the teachers.

AngCap - Sounds like my girls are similar to yours and I hope the outcome is the same. Thank you.

NewtoOrlando - Couldn't agree more about life being too short, we won’t get another opportunity to holiday with the extended family in the near future so we know it will be more than worth it.
Interesting to hear your respective schools stances on it, seems it’s totally depends school to school and yours seems the most recent experience.

May - What you’ve said rings true with what we have had with the headteacher at the primary school, I don’t believe our children would individually be a concern to the teachers, socially or academically. But I will ask what they’ll miss and then we could focus on that. I won’t be asking them to create something for us.

Tinkjon/Tassiriki - This is probably the biggest concern of ours when it comes to the children as individuals, we understand this will be a tough decision as she will be starting new relationships with new people, we know she is resilient and clever. We moved cities when she was in year 3 and she was unbelievably amazing with the transition of making complete new friends and took to the new school like water off a ducks back. This settles our worries to a degree but ultimately as parents we will still worry for sure.

Tretinker - Thanks for clearing up the session question, the dates we are looking at would mean we miss 10 sessions, the school have said there will most likely be a inset day on the Monday after the break so that’s a extra day to recover from jetlag. Our children have a great attendance record so not concerned about being monitored after. Out of interest is that an official procedure they follow?

Noodle500 - we expect the eldest to do very well in her SATS, and should she be misplaced in terms of her academic ability I’m sure that will be resolved quickly.
June/July wouldn’t be an option for us due to work restraints for myself and my father unfortunately.

MillyMoo - Thank you, further evidence is seems to be different school to school which I find bizzare. Yes a lot of people are saying this, kids are only kids for a short period. Thank you.

Jiminycricket - Thank you for your insight to the other side of the coin. Regarding the fine, we will pay should we receive it, I think they will miss 5days, 6 at most if the Monday after the break isn’t a inset day.

Gp1602 - Is that a fact? Ten sessions equates to a fine? Our headteacher has told my partner that their school doesn’t enforce the fine? We have actually searched for evening flights out so we could do similar to what you’ve suggested but they seem quite rare from London or Manchester

Stu - Yikes, keep it friendly indeed!

Thank you again to all that have replied to me, I appreciate it all and sorry I don’t understand how to use the quote function so had to respond in the way I have.

PhillySpecial is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Kev Harrison
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
Our school issue letters for every unauthorised absence but no fines these are coming I. Next year.

I would think long and hard about taking children in these years out a year 5 will have 11plus next year and year 7 is secondary school. It’s not about the fine it’s about the effect it will have in the child , what there attendance record is like, their ability to catch up and how bright they are.

I do take my daughter out and will continue to do so as I feel that seeing different cultures and having family holidays is important.

Personally I would not take her out to go to a theme park, suggesting this is to see a culture and a different country is nonsense and you know it putting that in a letter to the school will make you look a fool and serve no purpose. I mean it’s not like you are going to the Great Wall of China or the pyramids and the general culture in Florida is based on being in a tourist destination like going to centre parcs to experience British culture.

If you want your kids to experience different countries and cultures don’t go to Disney go to the West see the Grand Canyon, monument valley, the rockies etc.

In short if I think you need to sum up the effect it will have on the children’s education and not whether you will get fined or not this is way more important.

You also need to accept that if you take kids out for a theme holiday the school has a right to take the decision you have made into account when dealing with you in the future.

It’s up to each parent and I would never judge but you need to think very carefully and again start with the effect on the kids education rather than saving money.
My daughter was taken out every time we flew. About 6 times in her school life. She got 9A* in GCSE’s and is studying 4 a levels.

We only stopped for three years whilst doing the gcse work.

She also was away for 6 weeks whilst we were in another country getting my son medical treatment.

No harm at all. Never been fined.

Edited at 12:44 PM.
Kev Harrison is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Kev Harrison
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkjon View Post
I don't think missing a week or two of school will have an effect on a child's education. I've always taken mine out of school, with no qualms whatsoever.

However, I wouldn't take a Year 7 child out of secondary in the October half term. Starting secondary school is *exhausting* for children and they really need that rest time. A florida holiday is very tiring, not to mention the jetlag when they get back - unless you know your child is particularly resilient to tiredness, I think they would struggle. Also it's really important to let them settle in and get friendships etc. sorted. I'd say go in the May half-term instead when they should be more used to it.

And please, please, Please do not ask Teachers for work! Frankly, it's rude to expect already-overworked teachers to do extra work just so you can go on holiday. Sure, ask them what work they will be doing and catch them up yourself if you feel the need but Don’t ask the teacher to provide work. To the PP who said that teachers have said ok to this before - that doesn't mean they're happy about it!
Over worked. That’s hilarious. Should come and work in industry, phone never stops even when home and weekends and I only get 40 days a year holiday. They don’t work Boxing Day etc. I know a few teachers that take on extra work marking exam papers in the holidays as well.

We asked our teachers and they were very open minded, setting little tasks etc

Edited at 12:51 PM.
Kev Harrison is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Gp1602
Getting Excited

[QUOTE
Gp1602 - Is that a fact? Ten sessions equates to a fine? Our headteacher has told my partner that their school doesn’t enforce the fine? We have actually searched for evening flights out so we could do similar to what you’ve suggested but they seem quite rare from London or Manchester

[/QUOTE]

Yes it is a fact that ten sessions triggers a fine. This is the guidance from the Department for Education. Google and have a look. Schools have to advise the Local Authority if a child is off for an unauthorised holiday of ten sessions or more and then the Local Authority issues the fine. From what you say it sounds like your headteacher doesn’t alert the LA to the absence from school hence no fine. That is unusual in schools today as sadly Ofsted look at attendance and it can affect a schools grading. That’s why schools have no choice but to do what the DfE ask as it is all about statistics.

Edited at 01:31 PM.
Gp1602 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Apricota
slightly serious Dibber

Ours would fine you. Doesn’t matter what for. It’s procedure, so for each child £60 to each of their parents. So two children and two parents £240
Apricota is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Tassiriki
Helping Minnie

Mobile

PhillySpecial- it sounds as if your children will all do well regardless of when you take the holiday. I wish you a fantastic time, whenever you decide to go!
Tassiriki is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 12:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkjon
Imagineer

Tinkjon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by legallyblonde View Post
I asked a teacher for the work my child was likely to miss and she told me and I made sure we covered that with him. She didn’t give me anything .. we just had a chat that lasted 5 mins. If the teacher can’t do it, then that’s fine, they just have to say no. It’s not rude to ask - they have a choice - and I am not embarrassed. 🙄
That's different though. As I said, asking what a teacher will be covering and then teaching that yourself is fine. Asking for work to be provided is not.

Imagine there's a training course at work and you can't be bothered to go, even though you think it's important. It's ok to ask the trainer "what is the course about?" and then go and learn that topic yourself. But it's not ok to say "please can you type out the course notes and photocopy them for me?"

Also, yes, we have a choice - but we are usually too conscientious to say no, even though it annoys us.

Edited at 12:07 AM.
Tinkjon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
OrlandoNick
Proud to wear my Ears

I have taken my children out of school to tag on a week to the October half term when they were in enfant school but I wouldn’t do it now they are at secondary. I appreciate that the cost comes down in October which is a big factor but have you thought of visiting Orlando for the very last weeks of August? Some secondary schools go back a bit later in September (sometimes the older pupils go back a day or two later than the year 7 pupils) so perhaps look at these costs. Flying back the day before school starts should bring the cost down significantly. One year my children’s school didn’t go back until the Thursday at the beginning of September and my trip was reduced by 1500GBP by not flying back at the weekend. They didn’t miss any school days either.
OrlandoNick is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
legallyblonde
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tinkjon View Post
That's different though. As I said, asking what a teacher will be covering and then teaching that yourself is fine. Asking for work to be provided is not.

Imagine there's a training course at work and you can't be bothered to go, even though you think it's important. It's ok to ask the trainer "what is the course about?" and then go and learn that topic yourself. But it's not ok to say "please can you type out the course notes and photocopy them for me?"

Also, yes, we have a choice - but we are usually too conscientious to say no, even though it annoys us.
I really think this has been blown out of all proportion and completely off topic. I’ve told you it was a 5 minute chat about a weeks worth of work (a week before a half term when teaching seems to slow down anyway). You’ve made your point, but I will respond to your comments:

On the same token that a course provider will have prepared notes/handouts during their planning (or a good one at least), I’d hope that by that point teachers will have done the same.

If you can’t say no, that’s your issue. You can’t blame the parent for asking. Perhaps manage your response a bit better. I’m sure you’ve had more difficult conversations with parents than that.
legallyblonde is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List