Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 1 May 19, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
antietam
Imagineer

Avis Fuel Charges?

Hi

Can you prepurchase fuel when collecting car at avis so you can return empty?

Can you not prepurchase fuel and return car for them to fuel?

I know that their fuel is above normal rate but do they charge a fee for doing this or just the fuel cost?

Thanks
Old 1 May 19, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Carolynmf
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
You can prepay and the price is generally not too bad, however if you do not prepay and return the car not full they charge around $10 a gallon Been caught out with the car a couple of gallon under in Miami once, never again.
Carolynmf is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 19, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
antietam
Imagineer

ok So prepay,
Can you do this at collection or can you order it on the reservation?
Old 1 May 19, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoguy
Imagineer

I always prepay the fuel, we pay for it at the kiosk in the garage, remember and sign up to Avis preferred this will mean you bypass the hard sell at the terminal Avis desks and can head straight to the garage
Orlandoguy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 19, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I do not have experience with Avis (Alamo is my preferred company) but the preay and return pay price is posted at the desk.

I have paid $10. gallon with Dollar but Alamo tends to be very close to actual price. Last time I rented from Alamo, the prepay price was less than the local price (it was a local rental).

When I go to myson's I don't drive much but a rental is usually cheaper than ubering to thier house from the airport and back.I have returned without filling up (only used a gallon or two) and never been charged.

I think it depends where you are and what your plans are. If I am coming from somewhere where I might forget to refill (I am old), I will prepay even if I return the care with a few gallons.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 19, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I have been with Avis the last 4 years. Apart from 2017 at MCO, been happy with pickups at SFO/LAX/BWI and service received.
I never prepay - make sure I go to a gas station within a few miles of the airport and top up with fuel - I normally have a station loaded in the Sat Nav - easy to find on google maps.
I seem to recall if the car was not returned full it was around $10 per gallon - you will not know this exactly until you pick up the car.

Interestingly had never read about this but you can change booking (downwards or if the price dropped), but not get a refund, but use the credit towards extras on pick up - whether this could be used for prepay fuel I do not know.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 20, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
user2020
Getting to know the DIBB

Does anyone have the update for what makes/models are with Alamo from Sanford?

I’m unsure if it’s best to go with intermediate SUV or Standard? Heard Standard tent to be older models than intermediate.

Thanks

Edited at 03:17 PM.
user2020 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List