Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 1 Mar 20, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Giddy16
Helping Donald

Travel insurance

Hi All,

With 5 weeks to go until my 1st DVC stay, I’m just checking my insurance policy to make sure I’m covered if FOC advise no travel due to corona virus - it does so I’m good 👍.

It’s made me wonder though, given as U.K. DVC members we can’t get the Disney DVC travel insurance, has anyone found any policies that would cover accommodation costs, or do you all just leave it to chance and just have flights / medical issues etc covered? I know my policy doesn’t cover timeshare costs.

Any thoughts / knowledge would be appreciated.

😃
Giddy16 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
saratogajan
Apprentice Imagineer

I’m also in the same boat going in 6 weeks. I’m quite concerned as using getting on for 300 points. I feel we are discriminated against in not being able to protect our points in the event of not being able to go through no reason of our own if things go worse over the next few weeks. I haven’t been able to find an insurer to cover the points.
saratogajan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
LittleMissusR
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Same boat! Renting points and using my own for my upcoming stay and finding it very hard to get an answer on what will happen. Has anyone spoke to DVC about it?
LittleMissusR is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Br'er Bear
Very Serious Dibber

If the worst happened and the corona virus spread to the point where flights were cancelled and or theme parks had to close like in Shanghai and Hong Kong then I would also think the resort hotels and restaurants would also close.

I'm not sure but hopefully, DVC would then treat this as similar to their Hurricane Policy which waives cancellation penalties if a warning is issued by the National Hurricane Center within 7 days of a guest's visit to the impacted area. Points would then be replaced in the Use Year they came from and not placed in an holding account.

disneyvacationclub.disney.go...ane-penalties/

Frequently Asked Questions

Q.
In the event of a hurricane or hurricane warning, will I be responsible for any cancellation or modification penalties or other amounts?
A. If you have products and services provided by third party suppliers that were not obtained through Member Services—such as airlines, hotels, car rental agencies or vacation insurance companies—you will continue to be responsible for any non-refundable payments as well as cancellation penalties or change fees assessed by those suppliers.

For Disney Vacation Club Resort reservations, call Member Services at (800) 800-9800† or (407) 566-3800† prior to Check-In to cancel or reschedule, based upon availability, your reservation without any cancellation or modification penalty. The Disney Vacation Club hurricane policy does not apply to certain special events and dining experiences (e.g., the Member Cruise).

PLEASE NOTE: We cannot guarantee availability of similar accommodations for the new travel dates.

But that has to be worst case senorio and hopefully they can control the virus and slow down its spread.

Edited at 07:27 PM.
Br'er Bear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 20, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Sara_toga
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by LittleMissusR View Post
Has anyone spoke to DVC about it?

Yes I am just off the phone to DVC about it.

I asked, if flights etc. from the UK are cancelled how would we stand with our points ie. would we loose them.

Basically they don't know. Nothing is in place as yet but every case would be looked at "sympathetically on a case by case basis".
Old 2 Mar 20, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
zoemoo
Apprentice Imagineer

zoemoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 13
Ok... so our position was slightly different BUT. When we got caught in the hurricane we decided it was safest to stay put and use points to extend our stay until we could fly home. We then got into an argument with our insurance as of course you don’t make a physical cash transaction so it’s difficult to prove what the value of the actual loss might be. We ended up receiving a day rate from the insurers which covered roughly half the rack rate and then got the rest of our expenses from the airline which covered the other half. But i think we were lucky...
These days we would pay cash to prove the value of the transaction.
Our experience of Disney in these situations is they are pretty sympathetic and will help,if they can... but they are not obligated to do so...
Old 2 Mar 20, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
In Ash Cloud year we were on the plane that didn’t get to take off.
On the way home I rang Member Services and they had already decided all Points were going back to the use year they were from. Well oiled machine

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 20, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
KFJames
Imagineer

KFJames's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My use year is June I banked some from 2018 used my 2019 allotted points & a few from 2020... what use year would they put them back into? If its 2019 I'll only have until 31st May 2020 to use them
Old 22 Mar 20, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

At the monment, the 2019 use year points WONT go into holding.
These will be returned to your 2019 use year
IF you haven't missed your BANKING DEADLINE, you can bank these for next year.
If you HAVE missed your banking deadline, you can either try nd use them BEFORE your 2019 year expires OR
you can put them into RCI

I sent some info to another dibber on this if you want it.

your borrowed points from 2020 year will be returned to the 2020 year (the original use year)

Your 2018 points cannot be banked again, so these will defo have to be used up before 2019 year expires or again, place them in RCI.

Hope this helps

3/01-Sheraton 4 Pts & WDW Contemporary.7/07-DLP Sequoia. 3/08-WDW Pop & POFQ. 7/08-DLP Sequoia.4/09, 3/10 & 4/11-WDW AKV, 7/11- Doubletree@Seaworld & AKV -03/12, 3/13- WDW AKV 8/14 [I]Cabana Bay,OKW & AKV.07/15-BVP,BLT & AKV07/17-POR,BLT & AKV.07/18-AKV-Jambo,Cabana Bay Beach, Beacon Hotel,New York..07/20TRIP CANCELLED- 10/21-Cheyenne,DLP-7/22-AKV, Coronado & Poly.12/23-AKV, POR,BLT &ASM
lam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 20, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
JasonErpelding
Excited about Disney
- DIBB Advertiser -

Originally Posted by lam View Post
Your 2018 points cannot be banked again, so these will defo have to be used up before 2019 year expires or again, place them in RCI.

Hope this helps
That is who is going to get hurt the most. Those that banked 2018 points that needed to be used by 6/1/2020 for example. They would be using 2 years of points and they will most likely lose the 2018 banked points and the 2019 regular points. If Disney lets them bank the 2019 points late then they won't lose those points.

Jason Erpelding
Lic. Real Estate Broker
Buy and Sell DVC, Inc.®