Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Apr 20, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
lensgirl
Imagineer

lensgirl's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Any alternatives to short term rental?

Hi

we were hoping to move into our new house next week, but elements out of our control mean that the mortgage offer hasn't yet been finalised. We are currently staying with my nan and unfortunately she has Alzheimer's and all the aggression and mood swings that go with it and it is like living in a household with domestic abuse (I don't use that term lightly, I grew up with the constant terror of things happening and this is exactly the same). We cant go anywhere in the house to get away as its a 2 bed bungalow and we have let our son have the spare bedroom so we are sleeping on a mattress on her living room floor (we always make sure that everything is tidied away and put back to "normal" each morning).

I really don't know how much longer I can take this for and with everything in the world going on, we are just stuck especially as I am having to work from home so I'm getting no break at all. I have looked at rental, but they all want long term and as we have 2 dogs it is very difficult to find anything so is there anything else I can look at? At the moment, living in our storage unit is looking like a better alternative than what I am living with.

Me DH: DS:11 DS:7:
2003: DLRP - Santa Fe
2007, 2008, 2010, 2016: POR
2009: NYC in Feb for DH 30th B'day,
lensgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 20, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Somebody who does holiday lets may be happy to have you for a few weeks - I did that when moving into my first house, I had to leave my long-term rental 5 weeks before sale completion. It's expensive but OK for a short while. Plus now of course they will be glad of any income so it's worth a try
Does your nan have a carer if you leave? Sounds like a very difficult situation for all of you

Edited at 12:54 PM.
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 20, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
lensgirl
Imagineer

lensgirl's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
thank you, I will definitely look into that option. This afternoon she is perfectly jolly and being lovely, so I now feel like I am over reacting! I just would like this all to go away so our lives can get back to normal! (although I really want to hug everyone and I don't think that's normal! )

Me DH: DS:11 DS:7:
2003: DLRP - Santa Fe
2007, 2008, 2010, 2016: POR
2009: NYC in Feb for DH 30th B'day,
lensgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 20, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
So sorry to hear of your predicament as I know first hand how difficult it can be to live with someone with an agressive form of Dementia as their behaviour can be so unpredictable and upsetting. It might be worth looking at Airbnb to see if there is anything in your area as some allow pets. My son stayed in one for 5 weeks when he got a new job in a new area to check things out before he committed to a long term rental. Hope you get something worked out soon.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List