Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 2 Apr 20, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
irvin38a
slightly serious Dibber

Why do Virgin leave it to 24hrs before to cancel?

As the title says. Why the hell are they leaving it so late? Surely they can cancel flights earlier than that. I mean I could understand if there was a chance of the flight going but there’s absolutely zero chance at the moment. Nor in the foreseeable future.

I’m not expecting to travel for our flight in a June. I’m not expecting them to cancel my flight yet but as we have other things booked that we have to give 48hrs notice to cancel, we really don’t want to be waiting until the day before we fly to find out. I know we’ll probably be able to tell more in advance but if we can, why can’t they?
irvin38a is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 20, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
rsvdaz
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

To delay refund process?
rsvdaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 20, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Because they haven't got the manpower to cope with thousands of phone calls
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 20, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
silverfox46
Imagineer

Agree , even 48 hours would be better. In the unlikely event everything went back to normal, flights restored, they need to get a crew.
People don’t live close to airports, need night before accommodation. Do they really expect us to pack, travel, stay overnight and then walk to desk to be told sorry.
Airports have closed terminals, they need notice. We all know travels bans will be in place for some time.
silverfox46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 20, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Mobile

I think most people know that no flights will go ahead for a while yet as we are all staying indoors.
I expect every airline is trying to catch up with refunds etc and trying to stay afloat
Old 2 Apr 20, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
irvin38a
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

That’s my point. We all know the flights aren’t going to be going anytime soon. I’m not asking for the refunds to be in peoples banks within days. I just feel it’d be nice to have the confirmation the flights are cancelled more than 24hrs in advance. We know it won’t be going, they know it won’t be going, the whole world knows it won’t be going yet 25 hours to go they are still saying they are going.

I understand it’s chaos at the moment but there’s no harm in saying something like ‘all flights are cancelled for the next 7 days’ for example. This gives people time to cancel other arrangements ie car hire, hotels, parking, airport lounges, taxis etc.
irvin38a is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 20, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby29
Imagineer

In an ideal world...
Old 3 Apr 20, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
NickPytlinski
Proud to wear my Ears

i agree with OP, only to a point.

but the world has gone crazy at the moment. you cant expect companies to be operating normally in the current climate. at the least you would just want to them to be operating in some way without closing doors and all forms of communication.

if its June then i wouldn't worry about other arrangements if its for another month or 2.
either way Virgin will see it at consequential loss if your other plans are scuppered as they are only obliged to deal with the flight.
Old 3 Apr 20, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Grumps Mrs
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Seems crazy that they've grounded their fleet, furloughed their staff but not cancelled the flights!
Surely they could have put something out saying flights to countries with a visitor ban were cancelled until further notice. It might even have reduced the numbers of phone calls as people would then know for definite.
Grumps Mrs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 20, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
tigrr_uk
New Poster (3)

Our VA flight from Manchester-Atlanta (we then had a connecting flight to Daytona Beach) is not showing in our booking, but it is now less than 24 hours until the flight, and not had an email to say it has been cancelled? We were meant to be flying at 11:05 tomorrow. Anyone else in the same boat? Tried texting service but not heard back yet, and are currently on hold on the phone.

PS We also booked a car throught Virgin, and so far have had 4 lots of 4 hours on hold to Virgin Holidays, so 16 hours in total, and at 4 hours get cut off each time!
tigrr_uk is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List