Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Sep 19, 12:55 AM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by disney1st timer View Post
It makes me feel slightly better that this hasn’t only happened to me. I feel so stupid 😢
Do not blame yourself , my husband is a painter and decorator and some of the work he has to tidy up or redo from rogue tradesmen is unbelievable.
One of his customers had a leak from his upstairs shower tray , the plumber hadn’t put a waste pipe in !
I spent a few years single and learned to have a very thick skin when it came to tradesmen.
Our conservatory firm were so bad , I threatened them with court and the boss told my husband they were scared of me. I got them back and made them finish everything how it should have been.
Be firm and tell him sort it or you will see him in small claims court.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

Oh don’t I could cry I’m so annoyed. My husband will be here tomorrow as I’ll be at work. I think he’ll struggle to say how unhappy we are and will probably just have to pay to have it re-done ourselves. Things like this always seem to happen to us. I just want a nice house and seem to get rogue tradesmen every time I try to get anything done.
Just catching up. Those photos are truly awful.

How did you get on today? Did he come back?
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post

It makes me feel slightly better that this hasn’t only happened to me. I feel so stupid 😢
Don’t feel stupid, this kind of thing can happen to anyone, especially if not very knowledgeable about trades e.g. me and DH! Have you already paid for the work though? I have learned to never pay for labour until the job is complete, this leaves you in the stronger position.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 19, 07:44 AM  
Link to this Post
disney1st timer
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks everyone for your support! He came back yesterday and “tidied” up but I think most of the problem is that he doesn’t think the work is bad. His tidying up is still no better so after he has gone my husband has removed all of his silicone work (see pictures below) and will do that himself. He is also going to do what he can to make it look better. We can’t afford to have it taken off and re-done so unfortunately I’m going to have to live with it. Very disappointing but never mind. I still need two bathrooms tiling and I think I’ll just leave them now!

disney1st timer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 19, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Sorry but that is still not acceptable and why do you think you should have to put up with it?

Not linking confrontation is one thing, but being completely walked over is quite another. I'm not a tiler but even I can see that it's not a good job.

Perhaps someone who doesn't mind confrontation can be at your house when you call him back again - you will do that surely?

I'm so sorry this has happened to you - I would ask a new tiler to come along and grade the work and quote for putting it right. Then ask original tiler man to come back again. State that the work is still not good enough, show him the report and ask for a refund. Small claims court if not but don't let your husband do any more work on it as this will negate any complaint on the tiler.

Good luck - lovely tiles by the way!
Joa
Old 24 Sep 19, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

that is appalling is a registered with any thing like checka trade is he actually a tiler time served or someone who descided to be a tiler

as above dont be a walkover as him to come back & redo till you think its acceptable not him

if the bits you can see are this badly done imagine the bits you cant see

although personally i'd ask him to redo from scratch at his expense or even better seek a full refund incl materials and go elsewhere

Edited at 03:14 PM.
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 19, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Absolutely terrible tiling. You need to be blunt with him. I’m sorry that you’re having to deal with this op. I had my kitchen tiled at the weekend and I know the mess is horrendous. Having to have it done twice would be a nightmare.
Phone him and say ‘it’s shocking and you want your money back’.
Old 24 Sep 19, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Mobile

That is bad. I don't think that is his trade. I have siliconed various areas over the years and to a much better standard . Around the sockets it looks like he has measured to the socket face not the box behind.
Get him back and get a refund if you can, I wouldn't want him redoing it
Good luck
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List