Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Sep 17, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Rob & Jan
Being a bit Goofy

I'd be interested in watching the progress, we've recent moved to a small two bedroom bungalow, just got planning permission through to build on two more bedrooms and extend the kitchen -very exciting!
Rob & Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 17, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
windsor_hills
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Ha ha. I'm not an expert as I am somewhat out of date but I do keep up with Regs due to my mates still being in the trade.

Nice that they have 'toothed out' for where the extension joins the house.
Far too many use these, I don't like them. However for the inner cavity wall they are great.

My husband is a bricklayer and is totally with you on this one Mr Tom Morrow.

Love seeing building threads. Will watch will interest. Can’t wait to see the finished job OP.
windsor_hills is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 17, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
jmt
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
We are having a fairly major extension being built shortly. Toothing brick is now frowned upon and building control dont like it at all. The issue is that foundations of old and new build will be totally different and flex and move at different rates leading potentially to cracking. We are trying to work around this by having full length glazing to break the join. A real pain.
Our extension is starting on Tuesday and when the builder popped round last week with more brick samples I mentioned about cutting in to existing brick on a build he did for a neighbour 18 months ago. He told me that they can no longer do it and they are supposed to fill the join with mastic but he always uses cement.
jmt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 17, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Brick matching is the most important thing to me. Even though it was a garden wall I got the brick Rep up from Jewsons to ensure the replacement matched the house.
He came back the next day with about 6 samples and we decided the best match.
Took 3 weeks to source them but I like matching stuff.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 17, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

My brother runs a company which restores historical buildings and homes he's been know to accoust folks at the tip chap doors if somebody has a skip outside the barn at there converted water mill is full,to,the rafters of reclaimed stuff he hates when folk,tell.him oh anyold brick will,do,
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 17, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
BLDY&McGoo
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Mobile

Ooo It looks great x
BLDY&McGoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 17, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jmt View Post
Our extension is starting on Tuesday and when the builder popped round last week with more brick samples I mentioned about cutting in to existing brick on a build he did for a neighbour 18 months ago. He told me that they can no longer do it and they are supposed to fill the join with mastic but he always uses cement.
This is exactly what I am being told by building control. But I simply dont want this type of join. They also mentioned the use of a flexible seam (such as a mastic type thing). So this is why I am looking for an alternative at the join - hence we will likely use a tall window so there is no need for a visible brick join. Cement isn't flexible (unless they are using an additive) and if so, it will crack and fall out.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 17, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by tspill View Post
This is exactly what I am being told by building control. But I simply dont want this type of join. They also mentioned the use of a flexible seam (such as a mastic type thing). So this is why I am looking for an alternative at the join - hence we will likely use a tall window so there is no need for a visible brick join. Cement isn't flexible (unless they are using an additive) and if so, it will crack and fall out.
Building control all vary, plus they can't agree among themselves. Toothing looks the best, is the strongest and rarely cracks.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 17, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Brick matching is the most important thing to me. Even though it was a garden wall I got the brick Rep up from Jewsons to ensure the replacement matched the house.
He came back the next day with about 6 samples and we decided the best match.
Took 3 weeks to source them but I like matching stuff.
This was most important to me. House is only 8 years old and I wanted extension to look original rather than added on. They took a brick out to match and it's almost there. No issue either way with building control here as we have both tie in and the metal strip things depending where meets the existing wall.

Glad to see there's interest in more pictures and I'm not talking to myself 😆 Will post more when there's progress in few days.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 17, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Frankie & gang
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
This was most important to me. House is only 8 years old and I wanted extension to look original rather than added on. They took a brick out to match and it's almost there. No issue either way with building control here as we have both tie in and the metal strip things depending where meets the existing wall.

Glad to see there's interest in more pictures and I'm not talking to myself 😆 Will post more when there's progress in few days.
You're definitely not talking to yourself! Love a building thread, especially the progress & after pictures