Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 11 Jun 19, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Drivinginmoray
I have Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by Kellea View Post
I did the same yesterday. Ive never done middle names before but was flapping. It was for peace of mind and I feel much better today x
Small price to pay imo!
Drivinginmoray is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

Are people still fretting about middle names! - what do you think people do outside this forum whom don’t have a clue about this - get sent home? Please stop all this panicking
MarkUK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MarkUK View Post
Are people still fretting about middle names! - what do you think people do outside this forum whom don’t have a clue about this - get sent home? Please stop all this panicking
They have a peaceful life not being panicked by this forum. And they het into the USA - shock!
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
carolmc
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
When they talk about delay I suspect this is not what they mean. I expect it will be a few extra questions. No one is going to have to re-apply and wait 72 hours.

The DIBB has now unfortunately just become a total scaremongering forum on this topic and has created completely unnecessary panic in many.

It is not an issue anywhere else on the internet nor at immigration.
I hate to "burst your bubble" but we saw a couple turned away at Delta check-in in Dublin in March this year. Their ESTA's had expired and they were told that if they applied "now" it would not be on their system that day - could be up to 72 hrs ...so no flight for them that day.
Old 16 Jun 19, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by carolmc View Post
I hate to "burst your bubble" but we saw a couple turned away at Delta check-in in Dublin in March this year. Their ESTA's had expired and they were told that if they applied "now" it would not be on their system that day - could be up to 72 hrs ...so no flight for them that day.

Obviously if your esta is expired you will have a problem. The 72 hour thing has been in place for quite some time now.
Nothing to do with a missing middle name. You aren't going to be denied boarding for a milling middle name. Should that happen, the planes to the US will become 80% empty from ESTA countries.

No real bubble to burst. Just more scaremongering - and not even on the issue being discussed.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
carolmc
Imagineer

I read what you posted above as meaning that if folks had to re-apply then they wouldn't have to wait 72 hrs hence my reply.
Old 16 Jun 19, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
When they talk about delay I suspect this is not what they mean. I expect it will be a few extra questions. No one is going to have to re-apply and wait 72 hours.

The DIBB has now unfortunately just become a total scaremongering forum on this topic and has created completely unnecessary panic in many.

It is not an issue anywhere else on the internet nor at immigration.
Littlelish was referring to the 72 hour ruling in a highly visible red banner on the ESTA application home page, which states:

Citizens of participating Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries traveling to the United States are strongly encouraged to apply for an ESTA at the time of booking their trip and no later than 72 hours prior to departure.

Upon airport arrival a chap (he was on V-Flyer I believe) discovered his daughters ESTA had expired, he reapplied at the airport, and whilst his device showed approved, which he showed the check-in agent, they had to refuse boarding as the DHS had yet to place an approval marker on the airline system, unfortunately this meant they couldn't fly. VA did eventually ring the US, who agreed to fast track, unfortunately the airline approval marker didn't flag in time - he sent the rest of the family ahead but it cost him/the bairn £1800 for a later flight to MCO.

Another Dibber posted yesterday that his friend also fell foul of the 72 hour ruling at Doncaster Airport - unfortunately his approval marker came thro not long after the gate had closed, TUI were very good, charged him £90 to fly a day later.

As PPM said, thoroughly read the ESTA application, in particular the 'sample pp' diagram that outlines names to be entered as shown in the chevrons on the pp photo page.
Old 16 Jun 19, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
maylaitt
I want to go now!

maylaitt's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I re did them and they were approved. I only did it because it was my sons estas and just thought if there was a problem I wouldn’t want it to be with my sons.
maylaitt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by littlelish0544 View Post
But as they now advise you need minimum of 72 hours between application and approval, it could be a three day big deal. I applied for ours, didn't put middle names on as never had before, then a few days later saw the threads about the October change and the names needing to be the same as on passports. Now I may have risked it if you could still just do them at the airport, but as they warn for 72 hours the risk for me wasn't worth it. To have to pay again or face the sorry, not flying today situation was a no brainer. And even worse, imagine then having to get another flight if they were not approved quickly enough? No thanks.
Originally Posted by carolmc View Post
I read what you posted above as meaning that if folks had to re-apply then they wouldn't have to wait 72 hrs hence my reply.
Hi Carol - you're correct, per littlelish's top line, she's referring to rocking on up to the airport, ESTA re-applying and facing the 72 hour rule the DHS enforced last year - previously ESTA was regularly approved when one applied at the airport. Apparently both the 72 hour and given names as per pp have always been a ruling but were never enforced, guess only the US know why.
Old 16 Jun 19, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
carolmc
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hi Carol - you're correct, per littlelish's top line, she's referring to rocking on up to the airport, ESTA re-applying and facing the 72 hour rule the DHS enforced last year - previously ESTA was regularly approved when one applied at the airport. Apparently both the 72 hour and given names as per pp have always been a ruling but were never enforced, guess only the US know why.
Yes Chris I was aware that the 72hr rule was always there but never enforced. Mind you, that suddenly became enforced so wonder if the middle name thing might also be enforced "suddenly"

I suppose it boils down to "their rules" and they can enforce them whenever they wish.