Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Sep 18, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
*jovi_girl*
Imagineer

Cultural appropriation and halloween

So i was just reading an article that was saying people shouldn’t dress up as characters such as moana or Pocahontas because it offends the culture of these people.

What are your thoughts on this?

A bit of harmless fun or totally disrespectful?

My daughter dressed up as Snow White and she’s mixed race. Is that also offensive?
*jovi_girl* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 18, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
*jovi_girl*
Imagineer

Forgot the link lol

distractify/trending...-costume-ideas
*jovi_girl* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 18, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
*jovi_girl*
Imagineer

My baba ❤️

Old 15 Sep 18, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
BLDY&McGoo
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Mobile

No different to being a brunette & wanting to dress up as Elsa in my eyes.

As an adult or a child fancy dress is fancy dress & should be enjoyed like it was intended.

Regardless of what race/sex or whatever you are. If a white boy wanted to dress as Moana he should do & so could any mixed race girl be Belle or Ariel or even be prince charming!
BLDY&McGoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 18, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

its Halloween, people dress up as pretty much whatever they like at Halloween, its fun and its fine, isn't it?
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 18, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
talicarr
Helping Minnie

Using the culture of an oppressed community as a costume is rude and definitely appropriation, particularly when people of that culture were persecuted for wearing the items now used as a Halloween costume. Dressing as a Disney Princess or a character of white descent when not white is not the same. Pocahontas and Moana relate to oppressed peoples and while it’s very hard to say whether that is cultural appropriation, it’s probably better to pick a character with no ties to these very real issues than cause offence or appear to be mocking a cultures’ clothing and sometimes even sacred rituals and paraphernalia for fun.
talicarr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 18, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
StorybookCircus
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Completely agree with talicarr, I dressed up as Pocahontas for my 6th birthday party 24 years ago but I would never do it now! Native American children were stolen from their parents and “re-educated” by white settlers, they had their hair cut and were forbidden from speaking their own language and wearing their traditional clothes. Every Halloween Native American people ask non-native people NOT to wear “Indian” costumes and yet people don’t listen... surely you can think of another costume?!
StorybookCircus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 18, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Firstxmastrip
Imagineer

Firstxmastrip's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
i think its pc gone mad if im honest
Firstxmastrip is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 18, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Macca04
Imagineer

Mobile

Disney sells Cultral Appropriation by the bucket load. Should we stop going/not watch the films/buy the merchandise?

Kids want to dress up as their heroes, do we tell them they can’t because they’re not the right colour?
Macca04 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 18, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Snowball24
Imagineer

Mobile

Sorry another one who.is thinking pc gone mad..