Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 28 Nov 18, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

C&L South African Adventure Oct 2018 - Day 6 - Even More Safari

Day 6

We had slept really well, it wasn’t windy so it had been a pretty quiet night. We were going on a walking safari this morning. This is something the camp did by request, we were the only two who wanted to do it though. They can’t do it if it is too windy so we wouldn’t of been able to do it the day before but it was calm today and sunny.

We still left at the same time and were driven 15 minutes into the bush, our ranger was called Eugene. The walking tour wasn’t focused on seeing the big animals but more learning about the environment and tracking the animals. We walked around, learning about whose poo was who's and different footprints.

After about an hour we stopped for a break.

My photos are dark as the camera setting was wrong!

We walked to a water hole and as we walked up the bank we saw loads of zebra and impala drinking from the water hole. It looked like something out of the Lion King (worked out the camera settings part way through)!

We headed back to the truck and saw a giraffe on the drive back. We also saw a ground hornbill eating a tortoise, I know this is the circle of life but this is probably what upset me the most about anything we saw!

We got back about 9 and had our breakfast, it was a bit of a mix as I had a cheese omelette and some scones with jam and cream! Both were very nice though. Chris had an omelette with mince in, he said it tasted a bit like a bolognaise!

We went back to bed for our daily nap. We woke up at 12 and relaxed and read. We were leaving the next day so we packed up some of our stuff so we could check out after the morning drive. We had lunch at 2.30pm which was pesto pasta (minus the pesto for me), and then waited to go out on our game drive just before 4.

Some photos around the camp as it was our last afternoon 🙁.

As it was our second to last drive, I shot gun the front 🙂 We went and found some buffalo and were trying to find some lions that they thought would be tracking the buffalo, but we didn’t see many big animals. We saw some baboons, the usual impala and hippos.

After driving around some more we stopped for a sundowner, I had a g&t and Chris had a beer.

On our drive we back we saw some rhino, there was a very cute baby. We didn’t stop for too long though as they were trying to head to the water hole and we didn’t want to scare them off. We then drove on and there was a massive rhino in the road! I think we saw about 5 rhino in total on our drive back.

We got back and dinner was served about 20 minutes later. We had the last of our wine to finish so both had a glass. The weather had improved so we were sat outside again (sorry for the lack of photos). We had pea soup, followed by beef, corn bread, sweet potatoes and veg. Pudding was chocolate mousse. Again the food was really good.

We had been looking at the stars, using my star app again and Jaco said that he would take us up to see the stars after dinner. We therefore jumped in the jeep and he drove us a little bit away from the camp so we were in complete darkness. This was amazing to just sit and look at the stars.

After we got back we went straight to bed.

Next - day 7

Edited at 10:18 PM.
LN89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 18, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Yet another fabulous day.

So rare to see stars in a pitched black place!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 18, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Yet another fabulous day.

So rare to see stars in a pitched black place!
Thank you, I know it is so unusual to be in pitch black away from all the usual lights!
LN89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 18, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Just read the last 3 days and you have been so lucky seeing all these lovely creatures in their natural habitat. Fantastic photos but love the two lions at the water. Looking forward to reading more tomorrow.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List