Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 31 Aug 06, 06:15 AM  
Link to this Post

Where's the Mouse? Day 4

Day 4 Tuesday 29th August.
Cast – Dollar Bill – AKA Bill or Billy, and Jools – AKA Julie.

Today was the day we were driving from Vegas to Fullerton which is just outside Anaheim. We were up early and got some trippies done. We then had breakfast at the Pyramid cafe in the hotel – we both had cheese and onion and mixed peppers omelettes, which were absolutely yummy. We then checked out, and went to collect our car from the valet parking.

In no time at all we were on our way. The TomTom told us it was 278 miles and 4.5 hours – oh joy! The roads were mostly straight with a couple of slights bends.

After around 2 hours we were pretty bored and stopped off at a place called Calico Ghost Town. Now this was really interesting (at least it was to me, Bill was not so thrilled). Calico was one one of the biggest silver mining areas during the 19th Century, but when the price of silver dropped Calico became a ghost of its former self. The old town has been restored after being donated by Walter Knott who also founded Knott’s Berry Farm. We had a walk around all the old restored buildings and boy was it hot.

Calico is pretty high up in the mountains and the heat was unbearable. We had our lunch there.

The restaurant relied on ceiling fans rather than air conditioning I suppose to be authentic. It was bearable in there though. Billy had a burger and I had home made cherry pie and ice cream.

Billy took lots of photos and then we were on the road again. By now we had crossed Nevada for California and gradually the scenery became less barren as more greenery appeared. The traffic into Los Angeles was very heavy as we expected and we arrived at our hotel at around 4.10.

The hotel is the Marriott at Fullerton which is adjacent to the Fullerton State University. The room was fine with the most comfortable beds we’ve ever known. It has a small pool area with hot tub and we would be spending 2 nights here.
After unpacking (we lived out of suitcases at the Luxor and it drove me mad) we went to the pool and had a quick swim. The water was really quite cold so we went into the hot tub instead. Later Bill figured out the internet access etc while I watched the Simpsons on TV.
We had had enough of being in the car for one day and were both quite tired so we decided not to venture out of the hotel and had dinner in the hotel resturaunt/bar. This was called the Ha’penny bar and is an Irish themed bar. We had a really good night in there. For dinner we shared mozarella sticks, then I had cottage pie which was very tasty, and Bill had his second burger of the day. We had no deserts but did indulge in copius amounts of Coors while we listened to the Irish band. We knew it was time to go to bed when I got the hiccups and Bill’s speech was becoming slurred. So we fell into bed at around 10.30 and slept like babies.
(Day 5 we take a drive to:-)
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 06, 07:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Bob_and_Dawn
Imagineer

Bob_and_Dawn's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Lovely photos Jools.

I rather like the look of that ghost town, it just needed a few cowboys.

Looking forward to the rest,

Dawn
Old 31 Aug 06, 07:20 AM  
Link to this Post

Dawn,
I thought you were up late as I'm doing todays trippy before I go to bed. Then I remembered the time difference.
I'm off to bed now.
Bill
Old 31 Aug 06, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
Lovely photos

Really enjoying your reports.

Looking forward to hearing all about Hollywood.
Old 31 Aug 06, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post

Lovely pics, Glad you're enjoying yourselves!
Old 31 Aug 06, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post

I can imagine it would be boring driving for 4.5 hours in more or less a straight line! Calico sounds interesting.
Old 31 Aug 06, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
Pics are great, sounds like you are both having a great time
highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 06, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Really enjoying your trip reports. Looking forward to the rest. :-)
Old 1 Sep 06, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
loopydiamond
Imagineer

Really enjoying you trippies, thanks for sharing them.

jules
Old 1 Sep 06, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post

Certainly sounds as though you guys are having fun. Hope it just gets better for you.