Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 2 Sep 06, 02:55 AM  
Link to this Post

Where'sthe Mouse? Day 6 In Anaheim

Day 6 – he’s alive and well in Anaheim 

We were up early for our short drive to Anaheim. The plan was to find the hotel and then go to the Magic Kingdom.

We were at the Anaheim Hilton at just after 8am. We were too early to check in but left our luggage there and valet parked the car. There was a desk in the lobby where you could buy Disney tickets (fancy that) and we decided to get the three day two park hopper. These were selling for $20 less than the gate price and we also got a lovely 50th celebration pin each.
We also get early entry to the Magic Kingdom on Saturday for purchasing the 3 day ticket. The ticket lady also showed us where to get the park shuttle from and explained it was $3 per day each and we could use it as often as we wished in any one day. So we bought tickets for the bus as well and set off for the park.
It seemed the whole of Anaheim was trying to get on the bus and it was obviously very overcrowded. I was glad when we reached the parks after only about a 5 minute drive.
We went in through the gates and both thought it did not seem a bit like the Magic Kingdom in Florida. The area we were in was like an military aircraft place which was odd. I went to get a park map and lo and behold, we were not in MK at all but in the California Adventure park.

Well that explained the lack of pixie dust etc. We couldn’t believe we had gone into the wrong park but it made no difference really as we were going to visit both. It was only 9.30 and none of the rides or shows started before 10 (they do in MK but not this park – doh!). So we headed to Baker’s Field Bakery as we had not had breakfast and it was right beside the park entrance.

I had a vey sugary chocolate chip cookie (far too sweet didn’t eat it) and Bill had a piece of New York cheesecake which he enjoyed immensely. Talk about a healthy start to the day!
We were near to Soarin Over California so went there and got a fastpass for later, while we joined the small line for the first ride of the day.

At 10am we were allowed onto the ride. We really like this one in Florida and it is exactly the same ride. A good start to our park days. Our fast pass was for an hour later so we went off to see what else there was in this park which was brand new to us. We walked around to the Paradise Pier which has more traditional fairground rides. Billy went on the huge Ferris Wheel (I sat it out) and then we had a good look around the pier area.

We couldn’t get over how quiet the entire park was. It seemed everything was a walk on. We then went to see a show starring Whoopi Goldberg – Golden Dreams - which was about the history of California and very interesting. Then it was time to go back on Soarin’. There wasn’t really any need for the Fastpass but we used them anyway. We then went to see another show – Drawn to the Magic

and then another one – the old favourite – It’s a bug’s life,which was great as usual. Bill went on ToT

and I as ever looked in the gift shop. Feeling peckish we decided to go for some lunch and headed towards McDonalds, which was just the usual fayre. It filled a hole though.
There is a ride called “Golden Zephyr” which we went on next, I was frightened by the speed – Bill fell asleep in mid flight – no change there.

By now it was about 2pm and getting very hot so we made our way out of the park and back to the bus, which was already at the stop and we were the only passengers on it for the short journey back to the hotel. The lobby was quite impressive.
Once at the hotel we checked in and went to our room. It is very nice, a decent size with a park and pool view.

After unpacking we headed down to the pool for a refreshing swim and a bit of a loaf about for an hour or so.

We decided to go back to the parks after showering. Now there were some gorgeous skin products in the bathroom at the previous hotel and I cunningly brought them with me to this one. I decided to use the body lotion as I was a bit sunburnt on the back of my neck and arms. It took ages to rub the lotion into my arms but I eventually managed it. I asked Billy to put some on my neck which he did, before casually enquiring if conditioner really helped sunburn. Yes I’d been rubbing conditioner into my skin . So it was back in the shower for me to start again!
We went back on the bus to the parks at around 6pm. This time we went into Magic Kingdom . The Parade was just starting and we quickly hopped on the train to take us to Tomorrowland. We went on Star Tours for the first time ever and greatly enjoyed the ride.
I thought it was very similar to Back to the Future except you don’t bang your head when exiting the ride! We had intended to stay for the fireworks at 9pm but were tired and hungry so exited the park at 8. We asked a CM on the gate for directions to Downtown Disney, and were suitably embarrased when he pointed out the sign which read “Downtown Disney” which was about 100 yards away from us.
Once in DTD we decided to eat at House of Blues mainly because we like the one in that other DTD. We seated more or less straight away. I chose the breaded chicken breast with creamy mashed potatoes and Billy opted for the Blues burger – well he would wouldn’t he? We each had a bottle of Bud to wash it down (OK it turned into 2 bottles of Bud each). My meal was delicious and Bill is always happy with a burger. Bill then had his first Key Lime Pie of the holiday (although I did have a spoonful of it). Very tasty it was too! No desert for me. The bill came to $56.
We could have got the bus back to the hotel but the park was coming out and we couldn’t face the thought of being on the overcrowded bus. It was nice and cool by this time. Ideal weather for walking so we just walked back to our hotel. It took about 25 minutes but at least 10 of that was spent waiting to just cross the busy roads. This right turn on red malarkey is no joke if you are a pedestrian crossing the road (and the white man was on indicating it was our turn). Anyway we got back safely and just watched a bit of TV in the room before turning in for the night.

We were really getting to like this California thing!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 06, 03:11 AM  
Link to this Post

Here's the Pin, slightly out of focus, sorry.
Old 2 Sep 06, 06:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Bob_and_Dawn
Imagineer

Bob_and_Dawn's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Another great report. Jools I'm not surprised you didn't go on the ferris wheel... rather high!

LOL at Bill with his burger and key lime pie and why was I not too surprised at you rubbing in conditioner on your skin LOLOLO

DAWN
Old 2 Sep 06, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post

Great report! Looking forward to some more!
Old 2 Sep 06, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post

I can't believe how quiet California Adventure looks in your ToT picture. Here's one we took in June.

Kitty
Old 2 Sep 06, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
Brilliant...LOL at going into the wrong park

I am so pleased you are liking it

Love the pin too.
Old 2 Sep 06, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
Another great day, enjoying your pics, perhaps you should have left the conditioner on
highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 06, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
dcmax
Imagineer

Did you see the Aladdin show at the Hyperion, CA park? It's just fantastic

Jackie

Danny and Jackies Christmas 04 Trip Reports

Danny and Jackies Christmas 04 Restaurant Reports

July 91 WDW...July 92 DL CA...July 93 DL CA...Feb 97 DLP...Feb 02 DLP...Xmas 03 DLP...Xmas 04 WDW...Oct 05 WDW...Xmas 05 DL CA...March 06 DLP ...Nov 06 WDW... Xmas 06 DLP... Apr 07 WDW... Nov 07 DL CA ...Dec/Jan 07/08 DLP... Mar 08 WDW.. Jun 08 DLP.. Mar 09 DL HK
dcmax is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 06, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by dcmax
Did you see the Aladdin show at the Hyperion, CA park? It's just fantastic

Jackie
Absolutely agree - don't miss it.

Kitty
Old 2 Sep 06, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Lol @ going to the wrong park! Sounds like you're enjoying your California trip.