Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Sep 19, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
I haven’t had a new phone since I got my iPhone SE. The prices for a newer one are ridiculous and I didn’t see the point in spending more money on something that was hardly any different. So I’m happily paying sim only rates at the minute. Battery life is not great now though so I’m hoping the iPhone 11 will push the prices down of some of the others.
Ditto. (Although I note that the XR will only be reducing in price by £100)

The crazy thing is, I was due an upgrade earlier this year and it would have cost more per month for an equivalent iPhone SE contract to the one I was already on. In the past, you used to be able to get a phone that was two steps newer for the same monthly cost. But now the prices keep on increasing. I don't want to be paying more than £20 a month for a phone!

It used to be the case that the iPhone's design was better and cooler than others so you could justify the higher prices. However, there are so many Android phones out there now that are as good as, or better, than iPhones and they cost about half the price.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 19, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
I haven’t had a new phone since I got my iPhone SE. The prices for a newer one are ridiculous and I didn’t see the point in spending more money on something that was hardly any different. So I’m happily paying sim only rates at the minute. Battery life is not great now though so I’m hoping the iPhone 11 will push the prices down of some of the others.
Forgive me if I’m wrong but I was complaining in store ( not apple store ) about how quickly a “ newly bought “ old model phone starts to lose battery efficiency and starts to get slow , I said I’m convinced it’s because the new updates done on the older models put a strain on the phone and I was told I was correct , in other words the only way of keeping your phone performing well is to buy newer models .
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 19, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Its not just Apple, Samsung are quickly heading down the same route. Pricing themselves to a point where people are realising there are better options out there that are half the price.

You do have to be careful those, one of those options is Huawei whose relationship with the US government is somewhat turbulent and currently the next generation of their phones will not get the official Android version from Google. They will either have to make do with the slow release open source version or their own OS. The latter is more likely and they have launched it in China. The next challenge will then come in that US software firms will be banned from making their apps available in the new Huawei OS app store, so it will be highly restricted.

So grass isn't always greener on the other side either.

People who are heavily invested in the Apple eco system will stay loyal, others may well question their investment, but it is change and many don't like change, so will continue to pay the premium. Brand Loyalty also plays a big part, as does peer pressure.

So many factors, there is not right or wrong answer. Enjoy whatever you get.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 19, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
dogken
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Hesitant to bring this up because I’d hate to see another B word thread on here but apparently Apple have moved on from charging UK the same price in £ as US pay in dollars to now charging more £ than $
I thought you had got this wrong so just had a look, iPhone 11 pro max 256gb, UK £1299, USA $1249, shocking that.

I've got the XS plus and have just bought a new iMac on Monday so don't think the missus would be pleased if I ordered the new phone.

Maybe next year
Old 13 Sep 19, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Hesitant to bring this up because I’d hate to see another B word thread on here but apparently Apple have moved on from charging UK the same price in £ as US pay in dollars to now charging more £ than $
Not only that if it were just the exchange rates an Iphone 11 that retails for 699$+tax = 630€+VAT (at 21%) = 630€ + 132€ should cost 763€ (including VAT) in Belgium but is selling for 829€ probably due to the extra year guarantee they are duty bound to offer

Edited at 01:33 PM.
jas72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 19, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishgirl87
Imagineer

Mobile

I took the plunge and ordered a purple iPhone 11 directly from Apple! Was dithering and also waiting for Three (who I already have SIM only with) to load their package prices but they still haven’t appeared. When I looked at O2 though as comparison it was still alot cheaper monthly to buy the phone and continue with my current SIM only deal.

I’ll also hopefully offset some of it against my iPhone 7 and old iPad trade in’s.
scottishgirl87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 19, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I’ve only just persuaded Mrs Mickie so ditch her 10 year old 3gs in favour of my old 6 so I can upgrade to a shiny new (one year old) 8. It’s just about affordable that way! 😁
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 19, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Yeah, I saw that.

I mean, I know the exchange rate is bad but the $699 iPhone 11 should be no more than £699, taking into account VAT.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 19, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Manny Haines
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Is it just me or are people finding the deals for a new handset with the phone providers are long gone?

EE prices are silly. So much so my Wife bought her XR from Apple and went SIM only. Me, I just get 'hand me downs'
Not many people know this and it isn't advertised or promoted in store but rather than getting tied into a contract with a mobile company you can buy a brand new iphone on "Apple iPhone Payments" and pay it up over 20mths, INTEREST FREE.
Its called iphone payments.
apple/uk/legal/sales...nepayments_uk/
Only available in store not online.

Just stroll in to an Apple Store tell them the phone you want, ask for iPhone Payments and off you pop.
You'll need proof of ID etc to go through a credit check.
Be sure to ask for iPhone Payments, as Apple do offer and provide finance on Apple products which attract interest charges.

Plus, this will be your handset from the outset, meaning it's unlocked from the start for use on any network!

All you need to do is pick up a cheap sim deal from Giff Gaff or wherever and I found it to be a lot better value over the life time of the phone, I worked this out by comparing the total cost (handset and sim payments) vs being tied into a 24mth contract at £x amount per month.
The overall monthly payments may be slightly higher starting out when just looking and comparing with a mobile providers deal but if you work off the 24mth principle then there are deals to be had when combined with sim only offer.

My X will be handed down to DD and I'll get a new X Pro next Saturday.

Edited at 02:18 PM.
Manny Haines is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 19, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post

I was looking to change my Samsung S8 to an iPhone of some kind (I have an iPad Air 2 and a MacBook Air so wanted to be able to sync all 3 devices) I priced up the XR/XS etc in comparison to my current contract with o2 and it's costing me £2 a month more but for more data so balances out really. I ordered the Red iPhone 11, I didn't think the 11 Pro justified the extra cost.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List