Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Sep 19, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Berevement Departments

My mother passed away just over a week ago and as an executor of the will I have had to be dealing with a large number of different companies since then.

Its been interesting. Have had to contact insurance, pension, utilities, banks etc. All of them now have dedicated berevement departments or phone numbers with what can only be described as different levels of customer service.

Some were brilliant. Prudential were superb. SPPA excellent as were EDF. On the other hand some really need to learn from the others. RBS had me waiting for over 30 minutes twice on their dedicated telephone number, hearing the same music for that period but also worse the 3 times a minute voice saying sorry and they would be with me shortly.

The Government DWP were brusk and frankly more interested in knowing if they could claw back attendance allowance due to extended hospital stays. Three days is not extended.

TalkTalk were dreadful. The call was taken in the Indian sub-continent somewhere by someone who was unable to go off script and ended up causing my brother great distress in a follow up call due to their attitude.

The oddest one for me was Scottish Widows. I went to Edinburgh HQ with death certificate and will. While waiting in the foyer for the berevement team member to come down and take the documents to be photocopied I could see that Scottish Widows clearly did not have a dress code for staff. That of course is their decision to make. What surprised me was that there customer facing staff and in this case their berevement team customer facing staff equally had a dress exactly as you want to policy. I must be getting old as I found it to be disrespectful and not a good advert for their company to be dealt with by jeans and t-shirt.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Having acted as executor to my, and my wife’s parents’ estates, I know exactly what you mean. Some organisations have it just right and instinctively know how to respond to grieving relatives - no fuss, know exactly what you want and the right degree of sympathy. Others seem to manage to make it as hard as possible with no compassion whatsoever.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

My dad died in August and I used the tell us once service which covers DWP, tax, council tax etc. The utility companies that I have had to deal with have been fantastic apart from woolwich/Barclays home insurance which asked me to pay for full cover after 60 days as cover will be reduced. Hopefully probate will come through quickly as I have verbally sold the house already.
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Could it have been a dress down day?
I agree that jeans and t-shirt appears odd and I would say a bit disrespectful in such a sensitive role.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Chair1519 View Post
My mother passed away just over a week ago and as an executor of the will I have had to be dealing with a large number of different companies since then.

Its been interesting. Have had to contact insurance, pension, utilities, banks etc. All of them now have dedicated berevement departments or phone numbers with what can only be described as different levels of customer service.

Some were brilliant. Prudential were superb. SPPA excellent as were EDF. On the other hand some really need to learn from the others. RBS had me waiting for over 30 minutes twice on their dedicated telephone number, hearing the same music for that period but also worse the 3 times a minute voice saying sorry and they would be with me shortly.

The Government DWP were brusk and frankly more interested in knowing if they could claw back attendance allowance due to extended hospital stays. Three days is not extended.

TalkTalk were dreadful. The call was taken in the Indian sub-continent somewhere by someone who was unable to go off script and ended up causing my brother great distress in a follow up call due to their attitude.

The oddest one for me was Scottish Widows. I went to Edinburgh HQ with death certificate and will. While waiting in the foyer for the berevement team member to come down and take the documents to be photocopied I could see that Scottish Widows clearly did not have a dress code for staff. That of course is their decision to make. What surprised me was that there customer facing staff and in this case their berevement team customer facing staff equally had a dress exactly as you want to policy. I must be getting old as I found it to be disrespectful and not a good advert for their company to be dealt with by jeans and t-shirt.
Firstly, I'm very sorry for your loss - it's an awful process to be going through. Regarding Scottish Widows, was it last Friday by any chance? If so it was Jeans for Genes day (possibly week) - a charity event that many businesses participate in order to fundraise for genetic disorders by wearing jeans to work and donating to do so. However, we used to have a notice explaining why we were in dress down in our reception.
Old 22 Sep 19, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
rosiela
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I worked at SW a few years ago, if it was a Friday we could wear our own clothes, the rest of the time it was business dress.

I agree it is maybe less appropriate for customer facing staff though.
rosiela is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
My experience was that most of the companies and financial institutions were very good.
NatWest though was outstanding.

The worst was BT when I cancelled my late Mums phone line. The Guy I spoke to tried to get me to buy extra products on my contract until I ripped him a new ≈≈≈≈.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
shona
Apprentice Imagineer

Sorry for your loss. I lost my father last year and what I found interesting was the way different companies dealt with anything outstanding. Some wrote it off saying it was his debt, some waited for probate and others like BT expected me to pay there and then, luckily he was in credit but their service was really bad.
shona is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I know exactly what you mean!
Sorry for what you are having to go through
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
It’s a difficult time enough without facing bureaucracy and time consuming tasks. There is a service called “Tell Us Once” which notifies the main official agencies on your behalf
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List