Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Sep 19, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Neil & Stella
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Back yesterday

Got back yesterday lunchtime and managed to stay awake until about 8 o'clock last night. Below are our highs and okays, with a couple of lows.

Highs:

Springhill Suites at SeaWorld. Great position, massive room, fantastic and friendly staff, beautifully clean, free Quick Queue and the free breakfast was more than adequate. Spent the first 7 nights here and thoroughly recommend it, very good value too.

Gryffs Villa. Spent the second week here and WOW. After last years villa we weren't expecting too much, but this place is fantastic. So well cared for, immaculate all through, high end appliances (Stella wanted to steal the washer and dryer), comfortable furniture and more than ample seating around the pool area. If you're looking for a villa this should be on your radar.

Discovery Cove. We did the non-swim package and had a lovely day. Far better than we thought, good food, free drinks, free parking, great snorkelling. Sand was bloody hot though

Sea World. Quiet when we went, got on everything, the staff were really good and helpful, always prepared to stop and talk to us. I don't know if this is because they were quiet, but it did make a change from Disney last year, where the staff appeared to quite surly at times.

A Day Away Kayaking. OMG this was amazing. We did the Mondo Combo Tour, $70 each for 3 hours on the water. Had manatees nuzzling the kayaks and coming up to be stroked, one even turned over for a belly rub, from there we rowed out to a protected bird island to watch the birds coming home and a beautiful sunset and finally on the way back we got to the see the bioluminescence and actually catch some comb jellyfish, which when you hold them and shake them in the palm of your hand actually glow. Bob was a fantastic and knowledgable guide. There were only the two of us on the tour, as it was a full moon and the bioluminescence isn't usually very visable, but fortunately there was enough cloud cover to compensate. Stella cannot row at all, every time she put her oar anywhere near the water we went off on a tangent, so I did all the rowing and certainly felt it the next day. 10/10

Winter Park. We went up on the SunRail train from Poinciana (there is a station at Kissimmee too) and it cost $5.50 each return on the double decker train Walked around some of the streets just off the main street and this place makes Celebration look down market, some of the houses are epic. We went on the boat tour through the lakes and canals and the guide was very informative and quite humourous (in a Jungle Cruise fashion). We had intended to visit the Morse Museum (Tiffany Glass) but just like much of Winter Park it is closed on a Monday, schoolboy error

Food. We ate at a few old favourites like Golden Corral and Cracker Barrel, but tried a few new places (for us). Fords Garage was really nice food, excellent waiter, but let down by the main course being brought out while we were still on the onion ring starter.

Texas Roadhouse. Stella had been last with year with DSIL (while me and DD did HHN) and we were both very impreesed, especially the second time when the waiter (Justin) asked us if we'd like him to hold off on putting the main through until we'd finished our starters, far better idea.

Culvers. Just a burger place, but the milkshake was the smoothest I've ever had.

Egg City. Really good breakfast place in Haines City (next door to Manny's).

Olive Garden. What can I say? How the heck have we missed this for all these years? Best food and service of the trip and the only place I would rush back to in an instant. Stella isn't the biggest fan of pasta otherwise I would be dragging her in there every night next time. The waitress Brittney was just the right amount of attentive, the food was delicious and well cooked.

Boca Restaurant in Winter Park. Really nice fresh farm to table food and very well priced. The waitress was a little over attentive, but being a Monday and WP almost empty I can understand to a degree, but just let us eat our meal in peace. Stella was actually a little offended to be asked if we would be wanting dessrt while we were still eating the main course,

Friday Night Cruise at Old Town. This was another new one for us after umpteen visits going back over 20 years. Some real beasts of cars there and every owner was quite happy to chat about their cars. Had to pay $10 to park, but even the guy in the car park cabin was friendly and chatty.

Just spending time together not worrying about rushing to the parks, getting rides done or keeping anyone else happy. We barely had a cross word apart from when Stella was trying to help out with rowing the kayak

Flights: Our flight out was delayed for nearly 6 hours, but thanks to my TasteCard we had booked into the MyLounge in Gatwick South (the only place airside that you can smoke), best £26 I spend all holiday . When we eventually arrived at MCO the whole place was deserted and being in Club World we were first to the desk and with our bags off quickly we were on our way within 30 minutes.

The return flight was thankfully uneventful.

Okay stuff and lows:

Disney and Universal just weren't calling us this year, but we went once to Disney Springs and what an underwheling trip that was. Now this could have been because we've actually outgrown Disney, but apart from Ghirardelli for ice cream it just didn't hold any interest for us. The Disney Store was a let down, the cook shop and Christmas shop were awful. These two used to be our favourite places in DS, but the lack of choice was horrible as was the price, $60 for 3 tree ornaments or $39 for a insulated cup.

I had a UTI in the week before we left and took my last anti-biotic on the flight out and thought I was good to go, but on the 1st Monday it came back with avengance i have to say that NatWest Platinum travel insurance and CentraCare were brilliant, even when I had to return on Friday for a second visit. Currently still taking pills and going to sort out a Drs visit this week, something is obviously not right.

This isn't a low as it was quite entertaining as we were sat right by the entrance, but some of the rude, entitled people trying to force their way into the MyLounge at Gatwick was a real eye opener. The police spoke to us after two people just barged their way in to go to the smoking area after a lot of effing and blinding. We spent time speaking to the young guys working there, the security and the police, and this sort of behaviour is actually quite commonplace

We have had an amazing time, but staying in hotels is really not for us, the second week in Gryffs villa was one of the nicest weeks we have ever had in Florida or anywhere else for that matter.
Old 22 Sep 19, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by Neil & Stella View Post
Got back yesterday lunchtime and managed to stay awake until about 8 o'clock last night. Below are our highs and okays, with a couple of lows.

Highs:

Springhill Suites at SeaWorld. Great position, massive room, fantastic and friendly staff, beautifully clean, free Quick Queue and the free breakfast was more than adequate. Spent the first 7 nights here and thoroughly recommend it, very good value too.

Gryffs Villa. Spent the second week here and WOW. After last years villa we weren't expecting too much, but this place is fantastic. So well cared for, immaculate all through, high end appliances (Stella wanted to steal the washer and dryer), comfortable furniture and more than ample seating around the pool area. If you're looking for a villa this should be on your radar.

Discovery Cove. We did the non-swim package and had a lovely day. Far better than we thought, good food, free drinks, free parking, great snorkelling. Sand was bloody hot though

Sea World. Quiet when we went, got on everything, the staff were really good and helpful, always prepared to stop and talk to us. I don't know if this is because they were quiet, but it did make a change from Disney last year, where the staff appeared to quite surly at times.

A Day Away Kayaking. OMG this was amazing. We did the Mondo Combo Tour, $70 each for 3 hours on the water. Had manatees nuzzling the kayaks and coming up to be stroked, one even turned over for a belly rub, from there we rowed out to a protected bird island to watch the birds coming home and a beautiful sunset and finally on the way back we got to the see the bioluminescence and actually catch some comb jellyfish, which when you hold them and shake them in the palm of your hand actually glow. Bob was a fantastic and knowledgable guide. There were only the two of us on the tour, as it was a full moon and the bioluminescence isn't usually very visable, but fortunately there was enough cloud cover to compensate. Stella cannot row at all, every time she put her oar anywhere near the water we went off on a tangent, so I did all the rowing and certainly felt it the next day. 10/10

Winter Park. We went up on the SunRail train from Poinciana (there is a station at Kissimmee too) and it cost $5.50 each return on the double decker train Walked around some of the streets just off the main street and this place makes Celebration look down market, some of the houses are epic. We went on the boat tour through the lakes and canals and the guide was very informative and quite humourous (in a Jungle Cruise fashion). We had intended to visit the Morse Museum (Tiffany Glass) but just like much of Winter Park it is closed on a Monday, schoolboy error

Food. We ate at a few old favourites like Golden Corral and Cracker Barrel, but tried a few new places (for us). Fords Garage was really nice food, excellent waiter, but let down by the main course being brought out while we were still on the onion ring starter.

Texas Roadhouse. Stella had been last with year with DSIL (while me and DD did HHN) and we were both very impreesed, especially the second time when the waiter (Justin) asked us if we'd like him to hold off on putting the main through until we'd finished our starters, far better idea.

Culvers. Just a burger place, but the milkshake was the smoothest I've ever had.

Egg City. Really good breakfast place in Haines City (next door to Manny's).

Olive Garden. What can I say? How the heck have we missed this for all these years? Best food and service of the trip and the only place I would rush back to in an instant. Stella isn't the biggest fan of pasta otherwise I would be dragging her in there every night next time. The waitress Brittney was just the right amount of attentive, the food was delicious and well cooked.

Boca Restaurant in Winter Park. Really nice fresh farm to table food and very well priced. The waitress was a little over attentive, but being a Monday and WP almost empty I can understand to a degree, but just let us eat our meal in peace. Stella was actually a little offended to be asked if we would be wanting dessrt while we were still eating the main course,

Friday Night Cruise at Old Town. This was another new one for us after umpteen visits going back over 20 years. Some real beasts of cars there and every owner was quite happy to chat about their cars. Had to pay $10 to park, but even the guy in the car park cabin was friendly and chatty.

Just spending time together not worrying about rushing to the parks, getting rides done or keeping anyone else happy. We barely had a cross word apart from when Stella was trying to help out with rowing the kayak

Flights: Our flight out was delayed for nearly 6 hours, but thanks to my TasteCard we had booked into the MyLounge in Gatwick South (the only place airside that you can smoke), best £26 I spend all holiday . When we eventually arrived at MCO the whole place was deserted and being in Club World we were first to the desk and with our bags off quickly we were on our way within 30 minutes.

The return flight was thankfully uneventful.

Okay stuff and lows:

Disney and Universal just weren't calling us this year, but we went once to Disney Springs and what an underwheling trip that was. Now this could have been because we've actually outgrown Disney, but apart from Ghirardelli for ice cream it just didn't hold any interest for us. The Disney Store was a let down, the cook shop and Christmas shop were awful. These two used to be our favourite places in DS, but the lack of choice was horrible as was the price, $60 for 3 tree ornaments or $39 for a insulated cup.

I had a UTI in the week before we left and took my last anti-biotic on the flight out and thought I was good to go, but on the 1st Monday it came back with avengance i have to say that NatWest Platinum travel insurance and CentraCare were brilliant, even when I had to return on Friday for a second visit. Currently still taking pills and going to sort out a Drs visit this week, something is obviously not right.

This isn't a low as it was quite entertaining as we were sat right by the entrance, but some of the rude, entitled people trying to force their way into the MyLounge at Gatwick was a real eye opener. The police spoke to us after two people just barged their way in to go to the smoking area after a lot of effing and blinding. We spent time speaking to the young guys working there, the security and the police, and this sort of behaviour is actually quite commonplace

We have had an amazing time, but staying in hotels is really not for us, the second week in Gryffs villa was one of the nicest weeks we have ever had in Florida or anywhere else for that matter.
Sounds like a great trip. We prefer a villa to hotels love the extra space.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
KayLouise
Very Serious Dibber

What a fab trip, the day kayaking sounds amazing!
Old 22 Sep 19, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Neil & Stella
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by KayLouise View Post
What a fab trip, the day kayaking sounds amazing!
It was the highlight of the holiday. It was out at Titusville on the intracoastal. We made a day of it by visiting Cocoa Beach too.

Well worth the money. A day away have daylight, dusk and evening sessions, but I'm pretty sure the one we went on was the best. Not the easiest place to find, you certainly need a satnav.
Old 22 Sep 19, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
lottiesmum0
VIP Dibber

Mobile

The kayaking sounds amazing!
We used the My lounge this summer and it sounds as though we were sat in the same place as you! Some of the people approaching the staff members were so entitled and couldn’t believe it when the staff told them they were full!
Old 22 Sep 19, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Chrissie H
Very Serious Dibber

Chrissie H's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Is there plenty of parking at the Sunrail station? We were hoping to try it on our next trip.
Chrissie H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Totally agree on the Disney springs front especially Disney store very underwhelming.

Rest of holiday sounds fabulous
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Neil & Stella
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Chrissie H View Post
Is there plenty of parking at the Sunrail station? We were hoping to try it on our next trip.
Don't know about any other stations, but there was ample parking at Poinciana. Also need to point out that it was the cleanest railway station I have ever seen, it was gleaming.
Old 22 Sep 19, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Neil & Stella
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by lottiesmum0 View Post
The kayaking sounds amazing!
We used the My lounge this summer and it sounds as though we were sat in the same place as you! Some of the people approaching the staff members were so entitled and couldn’t believe it when the staff told them they were full!
On the sofa on the right as you go in? It was quite eye-opening, but having ringside seats was hilarious.
Old 22 Sep 19, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
What an interesting report, well done.

So much of what you say resonates with me, especially Disney Springs. We just treat it as an area to have a walk and don't even look in the windows let alone go in the shops.

A very different holiday but sounds lovely. Hope your medical issue is on the mend. So debilitating to be ill when away.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List