Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 7 Dec 13, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post

Miami Airport

I have read on a few threads this year that immigration queues were pretty bad this year at Miami airport.
But on the whole how does Miami differ from Orlando MCO ?
Do they have similar bag collection ? tram/train from the terminal ?
Are the directions to the car hire companies well signposted ?
We have done MCO so often it feels like home but we are thinking of arriving at Miami in 2015 and Im a little nervous
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 13, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post

We have arrived and left from Miami a few times. It is actually fine now as the Car hire is inside the Airport now as well and they have an internal shuttle that takes you there now, the same as the Mco set up. I didn't see much difference in immigration times. At MCO the immigration was really long in September for us.
As with all airports it really depends on how many planes are due in at the same time. Obviously the other thing to think about is the travelling to your destination from Miami, if you are going to DW then its a longer drive.
Old 7 Dec 13, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
james weir
Imagineer

Miami Airport is the major hub for South American flights in the US,it handles a lot more
International flights than MCO and this is the main cause for arriving passenger delays,the Car Hire is now in a purpose built building.The area around the airport is not
very nice,hotels are quite expensive due to the large number of Cruise Ships.We tend to
use Fort Lauderdale or West Palm beach,indirect using United via Newark,so that we avoid the hassle of delays at Miami
james weir is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 13, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by james weir View Post
Miami Airport is the major hub for South American flights in the US,it handles a lot more
International flights than MCO and this is the main cause for arriving passenger delays,the Car Hire is now in a purpose built building.The area around the airport is not
very nice,hotels are quite expensive due to the large number of Cruise Ships.We tend to
use Fort Lauderdale or West Palm beach,indirect using United via Newark,so that we avoid the hassle of delays at Miami
It is also the main training hub for customs and TIA officials so the process of entry is very thorough and can be deadly slow .
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 13, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post

thanks for that, we are intending to drive to Sanibel Island so we have a bit of a drive whichever we decide to use.
Old 7 Dec 13, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lainey5565 View Post
thanks for that, we are intending to drive to Sanibel Island so we have a bit of a drive whichever we decide to use.
It's an easy but long boring drive from Miami airport - done it a few times along alligator alley
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 13, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Macmac
Imagineer

The drive isn't that bad, take the scenic route through the Everglades (route 41i think it is), adds about 30 minutes to the drive but far less susceptible to delay than the 75 and much more interesting.
Macmac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 13, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Cal and Dave
Imagineer

We flew into Miami last Christmas and we didn't find immigration too bad. The walk however from the terminal was a long way, which you don't have at Orlando. The luggage has to come a long way too and we were through immigration but had to wait ages for our luggage.
Much prefer Fort Lauderdale airport
Cal and Dave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 13, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I have read on a few threads this year that immigration queues were pretty bad this year at Miami airport.
But on the whole how does Miami differ from Orlando MCO ?
Do they have similar bag collection ? tram/train from the terminal ?
Are the directions to the car hire companies well signposted ?
We have done MCO so often it feels like home but we are thinking of arriving at Miami in 2015 and Im a little nervous
In my view, MIA is far and away the worst airport I have ever been in. And I have been in many in developing countries across the works.
There is not one single positive thing I can say about my experiences of travelling through MIA.
I keep promising myself that I wont use it again. Having given in on a couple of occasions because of price; but never again.
Every aspect it is dreadful - immigration, baggage claim, rude staff inc. restaurants and shops, the drive out (roadworks and traffic).
The problem is that this experience repeats every time I have been through MIA - so is consistent and not one-offs.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 13, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post

I've heard many reports that are very similar to yours, which is putting me off.
I love the drive - dont think my DD is too impressed with the long drive though !
Closed Thread