Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 12 Aug 19, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Mobile Falkirk and Glasgow

Hi!

I’m planning a trip up to Scotland for next week. We fancied going on the Falkirk Wheel so I’m just trying to plan out some other things to do when we’re up there. We’ll probably visit and stay in Falkirk for one night and then move on to Glasgow for a night. Any recommendations of what to do and if anything needs booking or if we can just turn up.

Thanks!
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

The Kelpies about 4miles from the wheel
Glasgow The Tenement House Transport museum BotanicGardens just a few
Burrell Colection The Willow Tea Rooms

Edited at 05:43 PM.
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

I second the Kelpies- they are definitely worth a visit. Nice walk along the canal there also and if you have children Helix Park is less than 10 minute walk from the Kelpies.

It’s the Edinburgh Festival on just now and it would be next to impossible to get a hotel room there now and I am not sure on the knock on effect elsewhere. Best get hotels booked if you can.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Mobile

Yeah we had considered doing Edinburgh but decided against it due to the fringe. I’m googling all the recommendations now, thanks
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Tiggers Pal
slightly serious Dibber

The Falkirk wheel I’d say is must, even just watching it in motion it’s fascinating. Others have mentioned the Kelpies, it’s a nice walk down there but as a local I really don’t get the hype. If you are visiting the Kelpies I would recommend parking at the Falkirk Stadium near by rather than their own car park. There is a crossing to get over the busy main road then a path to the helix park then onto the Kelpies. You can’t park there on match days though, Falkirk FC are at home this coming Saturday 17th but are away the following 2 Saturdays.

Falkirk area schools go back on Wednesday of next week so most places of interest will be quieter from then on. If going into the town centre later in the day after visiting the wheel council run public car parks are free to park after 3pm. Are you looking for suggestions for staying or eating in the Falkirk area?
Tiggers Pal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Leia Organa
Excited about Disney

Glasgow

That's great you are coming to Glasgow. There are loads of good options. It really depends what interests you. The Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum are worth a visit. There is currently the Linda McCartney Retrospective of her photography at Kelvingrove. The Hunterian Museum is also close by at Glasgow University. A good option is to buy an all day ticket for the subway as many of the stations are close to attractions. It costs £4.20 and is really easy to use as it goes round in a circle. Happy to offer any help if you have any specific questions.
Leia Organa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tiggers Pal View Post
The Falkirk wheel I’d say is must, even just watching it in motion it’s fascinating. Others have mentioned the Kelpies, it’s a nice walk down there but as a local I really don’t get the hype. If you are visiting the Kelpies I would recommend parking at the Falkirk Stadium near by rather than their own car park. There is a crossing to get over the busy main road then a path to the helix park then onto the Kelpies. You can’t park there on match days though, Falkirk FC are at home this coming Saturday 17th but are away the following 2 Saturdays.

Falkirk area schools go back on Wednesday of next week so most places of interest will be quieter from then on. If going into the town centre later in the day after visiting the wheel council run public car parks are free to park after 3pm. Are you looking for suggestions for staying or eating in the Falkirk area?
I’d love some suggestions, thank you!

All great tips thanks! We’re visiting through the weeks so can park where you’re saying. I think we’re visiting on Tuesday so all the kids will be running around enjoying their last day of freedom haha.
Old 12 Aug 19, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Leia Organa View Post
That's great you are coming to Glasgow. There are loads of good options. It really depends what interests you. The Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum are worth a visit. There is currently the Linda McCartney Retrospective of her photography at Kelvingrove. The Hunterian Museum is also close by at Glasgow University. A good option is to buy an all day ticket for the subway as many of the stations are close to attractions. It costs £4.20 and is really easy to use as it goes round in a circle. Happy to offer any help if you have any specific questions.
Oh that’s great about the subway, thanks! I was looking at one of those open top buses but maybe the subway would be better to hop on and off. I’ve found a place called R Cade that looks like it’s up my daughter’s street. Will go google the other things you said, thanks!
Old 12 Aug 19, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Gally1968
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Stirling isn’t too far with the Castle & the Old Town Jail both worth a visit.

Bannockburn isn’t that far either.
Old 12 Aug 19, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Leia Organa
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Princesa View Post
Oh that’s great about the subway, thanks! I was looking at one of those open top buses but maybe the subway would be better to hop on and off. I’ve found a place called R Cade that looks like it’s up my daughter’s street. Will go google the other things you said, thanks!

Glasgow Doors Open Days Festival is on 16-22 September. There are various organised walks and buildings open. I've done some other years such as theatres where you get to see behind the scenes. There is a website that gives all the details.
Leia Organa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List